Scrivener 1.11 public beta 3 now available (13/11/07)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:06 pm Post

Hi all,

The bug fix release for 1.10 - 1.11 - is now ready as a beta. You can download it here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _beta3.zip

To install, just unzip and replace the version of Scrivener in your Applications folder with this one.

Hopefully this release fixes the two main problems of 1.11 - namely, the project statistics/printing hang caused by widows and orphans avoidance, and also the problem whereby some projects could be opened as blank windows when updating from 1.03.

I would be very grateful if you could especially check that the alternate background colours work properly in Edit Scrivenings on Leopard. This is because I have set the layout of text to use a faster Leopard method, but in an earlier developer seed of Leopard, this caused problems for rendering the Edit Scrivenings background colours so I turned it off. It seems to work okay now, but I'm not sure - so please check this carefully and let me know if you encounter any problems.

As always with betas, please help by doing the following:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.11 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

All the best,
Keith

Change list between 1.11 beta 2 and beta 3
• Removed “Avoid widows and orphansâ€
Last edited by KB on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JF
JF

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:19 pm Post

I experienced the project statistics hang just once with 1.10, but I thought I'd try the new beta just the same. There is no project statistics hang, but in the script section of the statistics window, it says 0 pages no matter how much text there is. Additionally, there are just zeroes in the selection part of the window, and the little circle thing just keeps on circling.

I opened the console and found this:

2007-11-13 18:14:58.408 Scrivener[258] *** -[NSLayoutManager setAllowsNonContiguousLayout:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1c0b4e20]

Other than that -- great work on the new version.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:03 pm Post

Thanks - that is a bug. I accidentally put in a Leopard-only call without checking for it being Leopard-only so that it didn't get called on Tiger. Whoops. That screws things for Tiger users, so I'll update it...
Best,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:26 pm Post

UPDATED 13/11/07 to beta 2 to fix the silly Tiger bug. Please re-download. Thanks!

ni
nib

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:55 pm Post

It's working fine now, thanks for the quick fix, even though I feel like I got spanked a bit in the Tech Support section. I'm a Mac newbie and I just figured that I was doing something wrong so I posted in Tech Support. Sorry, truly. And I would've been happy to have the console app open as requested, if I knew what the heck it was. I'm not yet using Scrivener for anything critical (it's too new to me) and I just wanted to use the latest and greatest version. Since it works for me now I guess you don't need the info you asked for below. But if you do, don't hesitate to yell.javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

When you say nothing happens, what do you mean exactly? A hang? Returns to the main screen? Does anything appear on the console (you should have the console open if you're running the beta, as requested)?

(Also, please note that posts pertaining to 1.11b should be kept to the beta testing thread, as requested there, otherwise things get very confusing for everybody.)

All the best,
Keith

EDIT: I just noticed that I'm calling a Leopard-only method in the printing view, which means it may not work on Tiger. You would get a "selector not recognized" or some such message on the console. This is exactly why you should keep this to the beta testing forum, say what platform you are on, and have the console open when running the beta... Please confirm whether or not you are on Tiger and whether or not you see such a message on the console.

je
jean-louis

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:57 pm Post

I tried V1.11beta 1 and 2 and with both of them the terrible issue remains, Scrivener hangs when asking for statistics...

Leopard
Model: PowerMac7,2, BootROM 5.1.4f0, 2 processors, PowerPC 970 (2.2), 2 GHz, 4.5 GB
Attachments
CrashReport.txt
(136.44 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:05 pm Post

Could you send me the project that causes that, please? (To support AT literatureandlatte DOT com.) Looks like it's goodbye Widows & Orphans after all...

Best,
Keith

je
jean-louis

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 pm Post

KB wrote:Could you send me the project that causes that, please?

I send you it, but it's only Faq.scriv... as the problem occurs with every project! :cry:

alexwein

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 pm Post

nib wrote:It's working fine now, thanks for the quick fix, even though I feel like I got spanked a bit in the Tech Support section. I'm a Mac newbie and I just figured that I was doing something wrong so I posted in Tech Support. Sorry, truly. And I would've been happy to have the console app open as requested, if I knew what the heck it was. I'm not yet using Scrivener for anything critical (it's too new to me) and I just wanted to use the latest and greatest version.

Hi nib,

Keith can definitely show his "grumpy head" on occasion, but really, he's a great developer to work with (been doing so for a long while now).

Welcome to Scrivener and to Macs!!! I've been using them since 1985 (have used Windows extensively too, Lord help me), and have always loved 'em. Love Scrivener too and use it almost exclusively for all my work. Please feel free to post problems when you come across them. We really do have a very fun and supportive community on this forum.

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 pm Post

My "grumpy head" normally comes after I've got home from work and then found a rude e-mail (as in, "you better sort this or that out or your app's rubbish") and *then* got confused when trying to juggle what's going on in different forums. But sorry, nib, I didn't mean to bite your head off. Honestly, though, you'll find a lot less RTFM replies from me (or users for that matter) than you will from many developers.

Anyway, I couldn't get the FAQ project to hang on project statistics on my system... The whole thing seems so unpredictable that I think it is time I called it a day and got rid of the flamin' widows and orphans feature altogether, though.

Best,
Keith

Mr
MrGruff

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:23 pm Post

Just installed the 1.11 beta 2. At last, I can print again!

Project statistics work (although I haven't touched the w/o option - don't dare to). Nothing untoward on the console.

And I *really* enjoy colouring in the binder icons with the label colours. :D

Thanks Keith.

MrGruff

2 GHz MacBook, 2GB RAM, 10.4.10

ni
nib

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:04 pm Post

Hi, alexwein & KB

Yeah, I think my blood sugar was a bit low from missing a lunch and I was a bit cranky, too. No harm; no foul.

Oh, and I did find that console app finally, so I'll keep that open now.

Cheers

je
jean-louis

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:20 pm Post

Keith
I tried everything (checking and un-checking widows and son or daughter...) and all my projects were hanging on 1.11 beta 2 when I called statistics.

I decided to throw out preferences (which were there from 1.095) and now? and now?
no more problem!!!
:P
Viva Scrivener
jean-louis

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 pm Post

Well, I've decided it's too much trouble - that the crash occurred at all is not a Good Thing, so I've torn out the feature for now. Thus, beta 3 is now available for download - the only change being that widows and orphans are not available any more, so the crash or hang shouldn't happen to anyone now (touch wood)... (Preferences shouldn't really have had any effect.)
Best,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:42 pm Post

Is anybody out there?... I really need to know how the Edit Scrivenings background colours are working for everyone on Leopard.

Best,
Keith