Scrivener 1.1 (1.095) public beta now available

Lord Lightning

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:15 am Post

Hi againdemon

First try FILE > NEW PROJECT > this opens the template panel > click on COMIC SCRIPT. Then take it from there.

This is all in the tutorial and the help file.

:)
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

ag
againdemon

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:31 am Post

ok, yeah, and after i get the computer plugged in and so on, there are 2 premade cards IN the comic template, which is what i was referring to.

there is a card that says PAGE, with premade formatting on it, for the numbering.

and a similarly formatted card that's called: A PANEL.

it is unclear which of these (if any) to start scripting in, or how the numbering works.

and no, there is no reference to the comic template in the tutorial on my app.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:41 am Post

What Lord Lightning means is that there is a description of how to use it at the very top of the binder in the actual template, not in the main Scrivener Tutorial, although I don't think it explicitly states where to type.

You type in the Panel document. When you want to create a new panel, create a new document, type PANEL (with the "Panel" selected) and hit the tab key, which will automatically enter <$sn>. Page folders hold the panels that go on that page. The numbering will be done automatically for you when you export. Inside the page element it says PAGE <$N> - this means that "PAGE [number]" will get printed when you export, with <$N> replaced by a sequential number. Likewise, <$sn> next to PANEL means that it will get a number that is a subnumber of the panel (in other words, PAGE 1, PANEL 1, PANEL 2, PANEL 3, PAGE 2, PANEL 1, PANEL 2 etc). The best thing is just to mess around with it and then try compiling your test manuscript to see how it works.

Hope that helps,
Keith

antony

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:56 am Post

Alternatively - and this is how I personally use it - write each page on a single document, numbering the panels by hand. For longer works, using a document for every single panel is rather unwieldy, but one per page is perfect. Hang on and I'll take some screengrabs.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

antony

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:13 am Post

OK, this is how I structure a comic in Scriv. Example is taken from SKELETON KEY, 'cos it's already announced, and the novel is 5 years old, so not exactly giving anything away...

First, the binder; each scene is contained in a folder (which has no data in it and isn't exported, it's just a container):

(NOTE that the high-level "part one" folder isn't necessary for shorter stories, but I deliver the scripts for these books in two parts, so it's necessary here.)

Each document within the folder is a single page. The pages are autonumbered, but the panels within each page are numbered by hand. Here's the first screen of page one, for example:

This allows me to rearrange, add and delete pages without having to manually renumber them, which is a godsend. However, within a single page, it's really not much hassle to renumber panels if changes are made; also, numbering them by hand means [a] there are less sub-documents within each folder, and [b] I don't have to scroll up, or look at the binder, to see how many panels I have left when I near the end of a page (this is a problem unique to comics, I admit).

I reiterate, this is how *I* do it. It's not quite how the template is set up, and it's not going to be a perfect system for everyone - you should find the method that you're most comfortable with. But this way works very well for me.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ag
againdemon

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:07 pm Post

yeah, ok, i had guessed the idea might be to add a new panel doc each time. that's a little more involved, i think, than a typical comic writer might need, and i'll probably go more with antony's method, although even breaking it down page by page might be a little too much for me. i'll probably end up breaking it down by scene, at most, which is really where things are most likely to get rearranged in my case.

the most useful things for me are the formatting helpers for captions vs actions, etc... that's the most tedious part of the process... that and typing out a character's name 1,000 times for dialogue.

i considered emailing antony directly, but i thought i might not be the only person with these questions, so...

anyway, thanks to all.

-ivan brandon

antony

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:45 pm Post

Ivan! Why the hell didn't you say it was you? And yes, you could have just emailed me off-forum, but I guess some people may have the same questions.

@All: allow me to introduce Ivan Brandon, author of NYC MECH, CROSS BRONX, and creator/editor of the 24SEVEN anthologies. He's good people.

And, um, apologies for derailing the beta thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programme...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

St
Studio717

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:21 am Post

I'm not trying to be pushy or anything, but does this beta run under Leopard ok? I'm going to be installing Leopard later this evening (or tomorrow if my backing up takes too long) and want to know if I can use this beta after I do my install.

Thanks!

Lord Lightning

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:47 am Post

Hi Studio 717,

Yes.

Keith worked this beta through on Leopard.

See his header post here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... sc&start=0

His explanation is really helpful.

Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

St
Studio717

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:53 am Post

Thanks, LL.

I read where he says 1.1 will be Leopard compatible but I wanted to make sure that the beta was, too. (I assumed so, but wanted to make sure before I tried to use it after installing Leopard.)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:33 am Post

This is not a definitive answer, because I have yet to install Leopard yet (arrives tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure the latest beta will run just fine. It is, after all, a bug check only release candidate. If you want to get started with Leopard, and don't want to wait, to be safe I'd do a full export of all files using Shift-Cmd-E. Then, if Scrivener doesn't load under Leopard, you can work in the individual files, and integrated the changes manually when 1.1 comes out.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:25 am Post

I've been using Scrivener on Leopard for months, so this beta most certainly does run on Leopard. The only differences between 1.095 and 1.1 are a few minor bug fixes.

Not only does it run fine on Leopard, but if you go to Preferences and the Edit menu, you will see that under Leopard Scrivener now magically offers you grammar checking on top of spell-checking. (Personally I've always hated grammar checking and never have it on, but for those who like it, it's built into Leopard so there are extra options in Scrivener for it.)

In 1.1 (not in 1.095) you'll also be able to import Word 2007 (.docx) and Open Office (.odt) files, though with the same limitations as the import of .doc (in other words, .rtf is still the best bet for importing). Yet again, Apple have added only very limited support for file formats. In other words, images etc get stripped. Ugh.

There are other niceties, too:

• When you open Scrivener on Leopard, you will find that there is a buffer of a couple of pixels around the single-pixel split divider, so that you don't have to find that one pixel or only use the grabber.
• All HUD panels are consistent with the rest of Leopard, as they use Leopard's HUD panel look rather than my own implementation (which is what you'll see on Tiger).
• When you use the Find panel, you will see the nice selection blob that pops up when a word is found.
• There are certain workarounds that were necessary to get around bugs in Tiger, and the code for these workarounds gets missed out on Leopard where the bugs are fixed (for instance, the bug in an earlier beta whereby auto-completion wouldn't work when there was only one word in the list).
• Text views automatically detect type-in web links.
• The folders in the binder, toolbar and in the binder footer "add folder button" take on the Leopard appearance rather than the Tiger appearance (that was painful, re-making all of those icons :) ).
• The corkboard drop indicator is blue and white rather than black in Leopard, to match the colour of the drop indicators in tables and outline views.
• Support for Cover Flow and QuickLook (Scrivener shows Draft titles in Cover Flow and titles with synopses in QuickLook).
• There are also various tweaks here and that ensure Scrivener does not act strangely in places where there have been changes to the way text layout works in Leopard.

Right now I'm downloading the GM release of Leopard which was finally seeded to developers last night. (I'm going to avoid blogging about why Apple were yet again gits in not shipping it to developers early so that they could test on the final release.) Then I'm hoping to release Scrivener 1.1 officially later today or tomorrow. I know I promised it would be out before yesterday, and I'm annoyed that I couldn't meet the deadline. But at least the beta is out there. 1.1 is the biggest release since 1.0, as it also involves updating the website (the screenshots on the product page are not out of date), simplifying the release notes list - which is currently 11,000 words long! - so that users can browse it and find what has changed more easily. All that is ready to go.

All the best,
Keith

nontroppo

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:00 pm Post

Brilliant, thank you Keith! Also, thank you for your thoughtful approach to progressive enhacement for Leopard users without shutting out Tiger users (as quite a few other developers are doing).

Ta
Tacitus

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:08 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:........ thank you for your thoughtful approach to progressive enhacement for Leopard users without shutting out Tiger users (as quite a few other developers are doing).

Too b....y right!! I've just been told that the FileMaker Pro I bought less than 12 months ago, not only won't run on Leopard but Filemaker have no intention of doing anything about it. The only answer is to upgrade to FMP9 - which at present doesn't run on Leopard unless you are using a US system......
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

Typo

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:16 pm Post

KB wrote:Support for Cover Flow and QuickLook (Scrivener shows Draft titles in Cover Flow and titles with synopses in QuickLook).

Very nice touch!

Just added a smart search folder for all Scrivener projects. This Leopard beast is growing on me ...