Scrivener 1.1 (1.095) public beta now available

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 pm Post

I just experienced some confusion about differences between the Export command and the new Compile Draft one. I kept trying to get a multiple-file folder exported as a single file via Export > Files... and of course that produced many files instead of one.

Finally I noticed Compile Draft, way down at the bottom of the File menu. I hestitated because I didn't want the entire draft, just part. But it brought up a dialog offering choices, and it worked, very nicely--just took a while to get me there.

Suggestion: raise the Compile command to the Import/Export box

Import >
Export >
Compile >

and after Compile give these options:

Part of Draft...
Entire Draft...

To me, Compile Draft was not entirely clear, and its position on the menu suggested a final, end-task instead of an intermediate one. I am not done with drafting, just sending part of it as a DOC file to an editor.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:09 pm Post

The choice of "Compile Draft" has already been discussed amply in the Feedback forum (I asked for user suggestions on this). It won't change, I'm afraid. Personally, I think it is clearer as is. Its position at the bottom of the menu signifies its importance. Moreover, it is really intended as an end-task rather than as an intermediate one, no matter how individual users choose to use it. It is the process whereby you can get your draft and compile it into one document for use in another program or for sending to an editor.

Moreover, having submenus for "Part of Draft" and "Entire Draft" would make little sense given that both would point to the same sheet (as both are achieved via the Compile Draft). Besides, in both cases, you are compiling the draft, whether a part or the entirety.

Either way, this is more of a wish-list item. 1.1's features are set and will not change now.

Thanks for your feedback and all the best,
Keith

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:15 am Post

Sorry, I was just reporting on my user experience of the beta. I did read all the discussion about "Compile," which was speculative until I could actually experience it in action. I don't recall that its position on the menu was part of that discussion, but perhaps it was.

I understand your resistance to make changes, the closer you get to 1.1 status. We are all grateful for the time and attention you devote to hearing from users. At your suggestion, I have moved my comment to the Wish List section.

nontroppo

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 pm Post

When I toggle the Inspector in 1.095 (keyboard or button), it fails to remember its position. I minimise its width as much as possible, but toggling it on and off makes it really wide and I have to maually resize it each time. I can't tell you if this is a recent regression or a longer-standing issue sorry...

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 pm Post

Thanks for noticing that, nontroppo. The bug only occurs if the inspector is shrunk to be as thin as it can be, as you note. It remembers its width otherwise. I'll look into it.
Best,
Keith

Ro
RobertB

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:11 pm Post

Not trying to rush or anything (I promise) but any chance of an update with a fix to the script bug mentioned upstream. I've been caught twice trying to copy and paste some formatted script that resulted in the spinning beachball of dooooom! 1.1 may be just around the corner so I'm willing to wait obviously... it's just frustrating trying to do some edits and having to retype everything (the joys of using a beta, right?)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 pm Post

Robert - no chance, I'm afraid. Leopard is out on Thursday so 1.1 has to be out before then - in other words you've only got a couple of days before then. But I'm also in the process of updating the site, the readme, the change list and so on, at the same time as fixing such bugs.

nontroppo - the inspector thing is fixed for 1.1. It was a stupid mathematical mistake on my part. Upon restoring the inspector, I was checking that the saved width was bigger than the minimum width as opposed to checking that it was bigger or THE SAME as the minimum width. Hence the problem. It also revealed to me that I hadn't set up the binder width to get saved between sessions when collapsed, so I've fixed that too. Thanks!

Best,
Keith

Ro
RobertB

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:33 pm Post

Well, a couple of days is OK. Just thought I'd ask. I'l switch over to some non-script stuff that I've been procrastinating on.

Here's to a smooth and painless (as it can possibly be at any rate) release.

M_
M_N

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 pm Post

bzzzzzzzzzzt - a bug?

A minor issue with footnotes:

When I import footnotes from word, they appear in scrivener, but with added spaces at the beginning of each footnote. This can become annoying after re-pasting the text into word, because you'd have to delete all these spaces in word.

Nevertheless: footnote import is a great feature!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:29 pm Post

Unfortunately footnote import will never be perfect because I'm hacking the RTF stream provided by Apple's importers. It may be that the spaces are added in Word, though, to separate the number and the text of the footnote. Scrivener adds no spaces here, so it is just what it is being told by the RTF data.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

nontroppo

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 pm Post

I just had Scrivener crash on me while it was not actively focussed. It was on a second monitor along with VMWare running in single window mode. I had not focussed Scrivener for around 5 minutes, working in Opera on my main monitor. Sorry I can't give much more info and I know crashlogs are only of minor usefulness without repeatable steps, but log is only 4kb zipped.

Thanks for fixing the UI glitch btw :-)
Attachments
crash.txt.zip
crashlog
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

JF
JF

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 pm Post

Came across another bug:

When typing some dialogue in the comic book template, hitting tab for a parenthetical, writing something like 'cont', and then tab or return, I get the beach ball, which just keeps on spinning and spinning for ages. Nothing happens, and eventually, I have to forcefully quit the application.

I checked the Console, but nothing appeared there. I also thought it might have something to do with cocoAspell, as with another bug, but I disabled it and switched to an English dictionary, with the same result.

JF
JF

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 pm Post

Another bug:

I can't seem to copy/cut and paste while in comic book script mode. The beach ball appears again and spins until I forcefully quit the application.

Once again, nothing in the Console.

Ro
RobertB

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:27 pm Post

JF - this bug is documented further upstream. I'm pretty sure Keith has stated that it's fixed in the 1.1 release.

ag
againdemon

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:03 am Post

excuse my braindamage, but i'm unclear on the process for the new comic template.

where do i start? am i writing in one of the pre-made page/panel cards? am i making duplicates first?

i think it's a great idea, but i'm the guy who's always tabbed out and hand numbered everything, so i'm admittedly a little dense...

thanks to anyone who can help.