Scrivener 1.1 (1.095) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 am Post

Hello all,

Only a few days to 1.1 now. Leopard is due out on the 26th of October, so Scrivener 1.1 has to be out before then. This new beta - 1.095b - fixes a few minor bugs in 1.09. It also adds a cool new "Layouts" feature, which is something I have wanted to add for a while - nothing like last minute additions. :) The feature set is locked and everything that is going to appear in 1.1 is in this new, 1.095 beta (this time that is not going to change). The Help file has been updated, as has the tutorial. You will also need to reinstall the Extras if you haven't updated since 1.08, which have likewise been updated (and you will thus have to update any saved settings you have already created). Note that if you installed the 1.09 beta and its extras, the extras etc do not have to be updated. There is nothing left to do except fix any bugs that appear in this beta, now. So, we have three or four days of beta testing and then 1.1 will be released officially.

You can download 1.095b here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... 1b1095.dmg

The changes between 1.09 and 1.095 can be found at the end of this post and also in the readme file; the full change list since 1.03 is way too long to post here, so please refer to the readme file on the DMG.

Once 1.1 is released, 1.1.1 will focus on adding one small feature that I hope to announce soon along with minor bug fixes. After that, there will be feature freeze for a while (as I've always promised) as I use Scrivener to write my own stuff... In particular, the upcoming NaNoWriMo. :)

FYI, 1.1 is fully compatible with Leopard as of the latest seeds. And very nice it looks, too.

Note that this version will update projects created on 1.055b or below, as it now stores version information in a different way. (A problem in the past has been that older versions of Scrivener that encounter a .scriv file in a newer file format will mistake it for an older format and try to update it, thus corrupting it; it is too late for me to fix this in versions that are already out there, but as of this version, it won't try to update files created on future versions of Scrivener.)

It will also update projects created on betas prior to 1.08, as the binderStrings.xml file is no longer saved during auto-saves, but only upon closing a project (this should speed up the saving of large projects significantly). This also means that you will see a progress bar when you first load a project, telling you that search strings are being synchronised.

I provide this beta so that users can test out new features and stability, to ensure that 1.1 is as solid as possible whilst I update the Help file. If you download this beta, please do help me out as follows:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.1 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

3) Remember it's a beta
I would be especially grateful to those who have the chance to proof-read sections of the Help file. :)

Enjoy!
Best,
Keith

Change list between 1.09 and 1.095
• Fixed bug whereby pasting in more than one character at the end of a capitalised script element preceding a new scrivening in Edit Scrivenings would throw an exception.
• Position of splitter in full screen inspector is now remembered between sessions.
• Fixed bug caused by drawing a slight shadow around the selected item in the binder which would cause a “CGContextSetStyle: invalid contextâ€
Last edited by KB on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Lightning

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:21 am Post

Hi Keith,

Cool!

I just exported a 90 minute telemovie (in standard Screenplay format) from Movie Magic Screenwriter v6. as an RTF. I then Imported it into Scrivener (this version). The import was clean. It all presents as General text. That is fine. But I wondered about continuing to work on it in Scrivener - not a big deal, I can work on it in MMSW 6.

I also wondered about the pop-up Script Elements Window. Is it possible to present it so it does not cover the text in the bottom right of the Scrivener window?

Small cheese - this version is just excellent! :D :D :D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Lord Lightning

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:35 am Post

Hi Keith, I was trying to convert the highlighted text to dialogue when Scrivener stopped responding.

Console says: Scrivener Help
/XRefStm encountered but not yet supported.
Attachments
dialogue.jpg
Dialogue error
dialogue.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 4145 times
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:09 am Post

Good catch, Lord Lightning - that one must have been lurking for a while, so I'm glad you caught it before 1.1 becomes official. The console has nothing to do with it - that message is something to do with Apple's help viewer. Instead, the fact that you have selected a new line (line break) is the clue. I made a mistake in the code where Scrivener forgets to check for this - and newlines have special meaning in script format.

I'm working on a fix right now.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

RT
RTJK

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:52 pm Post

Hi Keith - I think I've got the right thread this time.

I've discovered that Scrivener hangs whenever I triple-click a block of script-formatted text (to select the whole line) and try to drag it drag it to another location.

I can reproduce it regardless of the file I'm in and regardless of the project that's open. It doesn't happen when I select by dragging - only triple-clicking. And it doesn't happen with non script-formatted text as far as I can tell.

It doesn't recover and requires a Force Quit. Nothing comes up in console (unless I'm looking in the wrong place - I'm just looking at console.log)

thanks

Robin

RT
RTJK

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 pm Post

Ignore the previous subject line - I thought being in Edit Scrivenings was relevant until I found it occurs in individual files too.

RT
RTJK

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:02 pm Post

More trouble I'm afraid - I got the beachball again - this time I was copying and pasting a section of about eight lines of script-formatted dialogue from one file to another.

The only similarity I can think of is that both problems relate to the insertion of a Return character.

Then I was typing this post and waiting to see if Scrivener would recover when I got two system messages - one that I was out of disk space and another that I was out of operating RAM, and asking me to Force Quit some apps. (I've never seen that second one before in six years of using OSX.) I don't know if this is related or if it's something screwy going on with my machine though.

Still nothing in Console.log. I'm running 10.4.10 on a 1.2Ghz iBookG4 with 768Mb of RAM and at the time of the problem had about 850Mb of free disk space.

thanks

Robin

ad
adreu

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:06 pm Post

You just have much too less free disk space. The minimum should be 3-4 GB, better are 10 GB. Otherwise you will see the spinning beachball of death very often and the system will force you to quit apps.

Ro
RobertB

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:14 pm Post

Keith,

Nice update! I really like the new layout function. I've noticed that sometimes when I create a layout and name it, then go and try to apply it it remains titled as "New Layout" and I have to go and rename it. It has happened several times now or I would not have even bothered mentioning (thinking the problem was just me). Not a lot to go on. Just wanted to mention it so that some others may try it out and see if it happens to them?

I have to say that Scrivener 1.1 is going to be one killer app if these betas are any indication.

Robert

RT
RTJK

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:58 pm Post

adreu I cleared 3.24 Gb of disk space and had no open apps besides iCal and Scrivener, yet the problem persists.

I'm just moving small blocks of text from one place to another when Scrivener hangs, and now the whole computer has started hanging shortly afterwards requiring me to force a restart by holding down the power key.

Robin

RT
RTJK

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:46 pm Post

I reverted to 1.09 and everything works normally. Presumably this rules out a number of potential causes for the issue.

Robin

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:05 pm Post

RobertB - as is mentioned in the Help file, you need to click on "Save" for your changes to the title etc to take effect. Until you click on "Save", the initial values ("New Layout" etc) are retained.
Best,
Keith

P.S. Just about to look at the script formatting thing...

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm Post

RTJK - okay, reproduced. Actually, the bug you are reporting is exactly the same one as Lord Lightning reported (though the circumstance is different). In both cases, the script formatter was trying to process text that contained newlines, but a bug in the code meant that the script formatter hung in this circumstance. I have fixed this for 1.1. Thanks!
Best,
Keith

Ro
RobertB

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:42 pm Post

Keith - I did save. Both times it happened. Which is why I found it odd. Like I said though, I'm sure it's something I'm doing but wanted to put it out there just in case.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:46 pm Post

Robert - I can't reproduce this. I know you said there wasn't much to go on, but if you can get it to happen, please post the exact steps to reproduce.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith