Scrivener 1.1 (1.09) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:21 pm Post

The GCGontextSetStyle thing has been fixed for the next version.

Thanks for posting about the Help Viewer exception that another poster mentioned a while back. The "Help Viewer" part of the exception on the console is the key - that tells us that it is nothing to do with Scrivener but a bug with Apple's Help Viewer (which is used by Scrivener to display its help). I haven't seen it in Leopard so I assume they fixed it.

As for the keyboard shortcut - as I've mentioned before (and it's in the FAQ), keyboard shortcuts are handled at the system level. That is, they are handled by OS X and there is no code involved at my end. I set up keyboard shortcuts the same as anyone else does with Cocoa - by assigning them in Interface Builder, Apple's interface design software. All of which means that something at the system level is stopping this working. Clearly the German keyboard layout thinks it needs this key combination for some reason and so blocks Scrivener from using it.

All the best,
Keith

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:36 pm Post

KB wrote:... something at the system level is stopping this working. Clearly the German keyboard layout thinks it needs this key combination for some reason and so blocks Scrivener from using it.

Keith

Yes, looks like it. Whatever that may be – haven't found this combination on any of the shortcut-lists. Well, looks like it's almost impossible to find a bug in this ultra-stable beta ...

al
albertsen

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:00 pm Post

KB wrote:Clearly the German keyboard layout thinks it needs this key combination for some reason and so blocks Scrivener from using it.

Do you happen to have any idea how to exactly find the culprit here? For example a debugging tool that will tell me, "Hey the responder for this keyboard shortcut is this application." I have the developer tools installed and some Cocoa programming experience if that helps...

(On the other hand it's not such a big issue. It's just that I'm a keyboard guy and like to everything with shortcuts...)

Jürgen

su
suavito

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:22 pm Post

That would be of great help.

Another shortcut that's not working with the German keyboard layout is align left.

The shortcut is cmd+{ (that makes cmd+opt+8 on a German keyboard).

Align right (cmd+opt+9) and center (cmd+opt+7) work properly.

I know there is a ruler but when you use align left as standard and center just for in-between asterisks like I do all the time it would come handy if you could switch back and forth by shortcut.

And by the way: When the second to the last line has, for example, align center and the last one align left and is empty then after re-opening the last line has switched to align center too. A workaround is making two empty lines at the end but of course it would be better if this wasn't necessary. Probably some Mac code problem.
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed

su
suavito

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:09 am Post

A little update that might be of some interest for German Scrivener users:

Manually setting cmd+opt+8 for Scrivener to Align Left in the OS preferences does not help. This shortcut is already used by Zooming on/off and this can not be overridden.

But if you un-tick Zooming on/off (or change the shortcut) in the the general keyboard settings it's free to use again.

I should have checked that earlier, it would have saved me some time and nerves.
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm Post

The strange thing is that align left, right etc are shortcuts automatically assigned - they are exactly the same in TextEdit. So presumably TextEdit has all the same issues...

I'm afraid I don't know of anything that can intercept keyboard shortcuts and report where they are going, although I assume there must be something out there that does this. Sorry.

Best,
Keith

Ro
RobertB

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:46 pm Post

You could see if KeyCue might give you some clues. It shows all the current shortcuts of the current app along with system.

http://www.macility.com/products/keycue/

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:40 pm Post

Minor and unlikely bug with Extras installer. If the OS X system mounts the DMG as something other than Scrivener (ugh, stupid OS bugs), the installer fails to execute.

This seems to happen after I haven't rebooted in an age, and I've mounted and unmounted untold hoards of DMGs and removable media.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bobembry
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 pm Post

Unsanity's Menu Master will let you examine (menu accelerator) the existing menu assignments as well as assign your own shortcuts (works with Service menu also).

Bob
Preparing for Real Life Adventures http://rlaexp.com/memo.html. It's impossible to work on things that aren't on one's mental radar at the necessary point in time.

rhacer

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm Post

I just noticed the Project Targets has a lovely new reset button (I've obviously been playing too much Halo 3 and not writing enough).

Thank you!

ptram

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:52 am Post

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just realizing that I'm still working on 1.08ß (too busy to finish an article, to be bold enough to install the new beta). However, I don't delete this message, in case someone wants to test these issues with the new beta.

I've noticed that exported highlighters in RTF files are correctly read by TextEdit and Nisus Writer Pro, but ignored by NeoOffice 2.2.x and Mellel. Anything we can do to change this?

Also, while in Edit Scrivening on the Draft, you cannot apply a highlighter, if the last end-of-paragraph in a single file is selected.

Paolo

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:34 pm Post

For the Edit Scrivening "issue", see the FAQ, which explains why this cannot be done (it's not a bug).

As for highlighting - Scrivener highlights text using the standard Cocoa way, and it is written to RTF using Apple methods, not my own. Sadly, highlighting is not consistent between programs, so it won't show up in all other apps.

Best,
Keith

JF
JF

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 am Post

In script mode -- both screenplay and comic book -- there's an odd glitch whenever I use Edit Scrivenings.

When I press tab to type a character name, the cursor stays flush left. But as soon as I enter something, the cursor hops over to the correct place, and the character name is written where it should be. Then, hitting return to write the dialogue, the cursor simply jumps down a notch, where it should be if I were to write a new character name. But, once again, when I type, the cursor and dialogue ends up where it should be.

Having finished typing the dialogue, and hitting return again, the cursor then appears to drop to a new line of dialogue -- until I start typing, and then we're back at the action element.

This only happens when there's no text underneath in the file.

I've opened the console, but nothing whatsoever appears there.

xiamenese

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:41 pm Post

JF wrote:In script mode -- both screenplay and comic book -- there's an odd glitch whenever I use Edit Scrivenings.

When I press tab to type a character name, the cursor stays flush left. But as soon as I enter something, the cursor hops over to the correct place, and the character name is written where it should be. Then, hitting return to write the dialogue, the cursor simply jumps down a notch, where it should be if I were to write a new character name. But, once again, when I type, the cursor and dialogue ends up where it should be.

Having finished typing the dialogue, and hitting return again, the cursor then appears to drop to a new line of dialogue -- until I start typing, and then we're back at the action element.

This only happens when there's no text underneath in the file.

I've opened the console, but nothing whatsoever appears there.

I would guess this is an Apple issue as the same thing can happen in Nisus Writer Pro with indented paragraphs ...

Mark

ni
nicka

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:01 pm Post

I've noticed that exported highlighters in RTF files are correctly read by TextEdit and Nisus Writer Pro, but ignored by NeoOffice 2.2.x and Mellel. Anything we can do to change this?

Perhaps a friendly note to the developers of the applications to let them know that their rtf import is incomplete in this way.