Scrivener 1.1 (1.09) public beta now available

od
odysseus

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:44 pm Post

Spitfire31 wrote:I see odysseus' screen drawing bug all the time in Word, especially when I work at 125% zoom. I don't think it has anything to do with Scrivener.

It's definitely zoom-related, but I never see it in Word. Scrivener and Word probably use very different drawing routines.

od
odysseus

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:45 pm Post

Keith,

When I click on a "hit" in search results, Scrivener doesn't necessarily seem to scroll so that the occurrence is in view. Are you aware of this, and can something be done?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:56 pm Post

I am aware, and no, nothing can be done. The text is scrolled to the place it was last (where the insertion point/cursor was left last time you edited it). Search terms are highlighted. If you don't want to scroll manually, just use cmd-F (the Find panel) to go through occurrences of a search item within a document. This won't change until version 2.0, when I will probably go for a more complicated and thorough search panel thingy-majig. But that is not even on the radar yet. I think this is in the FAQ, but I could be wrong.

As for the zoom - like I say, it is Apple code, not Scrivener-related. It is caused by zooming in, and happens in other apps, too, whether you have seen it or not. :)

All the best,
Keith

od
odysseus

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:14 am Post

KB wrote:Anyway, if you can reproduce the console error I would be most grateful.

I'm afraid that it's going to be very difficult to do so, because I noticed the console error hours after it happened, so I have no idea what I was doing at the time.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:20 am Post

KB wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. I can only see the seven entries there are supposed to be. There is a "> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" which adds "<$sn>" (for sub-number), which adds a second 1, 2, 3... etc that will get reset the every time an <$n> is encountered. Is that what you mean? Or am I missing something?

You are right, the $ and the 's' blended together when I looked at the results.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Pe
PeterA

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:23 am Post

antony wrote:Full Screen acts in the same way as the normal editor, so you have to tell it you want an Edit Scrivenings session. It won't guess that you do just because you've selected more than one document. So: select the documents you want, activate Edit Scrivenings, and then hit Full Screen. Voila.

This seems to have stopped working for me in 1.09.
I tried it .... selecting Edit Scrivenings works in the editor (with alternate background/page colours and all) but as soon as I click Full Screen I get full screen but only the first document ... just as if I had clicked full screen after selecting multiple index cards or multiple items in the binder without selecting ES as described by janra

janra wrote: If you select a set of documents and start full screen, what you're doing is preloading full screen's history function, so you can use the back and forward commands to move between documents instead of navigating through and picking them from the "go" list.

Exiting full screen takes me back to the editor with only that first document selected in the binder.

This definitely worked as expected for me in 1.08. (i.e. ES as a continuous document with alternate coloured background in full screen mode.)
To re-test, I trashed 1.09, re-installed 1.08 from the dmg and opened the backup created in the upgrade to 1.09 ... and everything worked as expected.
Then I re-upgraded to 1.09 and, nope, behaviour as described -- Full screen wouldn't show me more than one doc at a time.

Is anybody else having this issue with 1.09?

Peter - (My system: 10.4.10 , PwerBk G4 1.5 Ghz.)
"The kowhai tree would never have met the tui if it hadn't found the courage to bloom."

Do
Dom

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:17 am Post

PeterA wrote:Is anybody else having this issue with 1.09?

Yep, I'm getting the exact same problem. It doesn't matter if I click the toolbar button, use the menu item, or hit the keyboard shortcut - every time I enter fullscreen I am only editing the top document of my 'scrivenings', and when I exit fullscreen my selection has been lost too.

Nothing untoward is appearing in the console, and I'm positive it was working in 1.08. System is a Macbook 2 ghz running 10.4.10.

Hope you can fix this one Keith, and thanks for all the hard work - I'm constantly amazed by how many features you add to this wonderful software. How do you spell procrastination? :D

jo
jon

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:34 am Post

Yes, "me too"... First text only is shown (MacOS 10.4.10)

Pe
PeterA

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:34 am Post

Dom wrote:
PeterA wrote:Is anybody else having this issue with 1.09?

Yep, I'm getting the exact same problem. :D

Well, I kept playing and hunting around....and I found that if I do this:

select 2 or more docs in the binder
click Edit Scrivenings
then CLICK IN THE EDITOR (i.e. get focus off binder and on the doc)
then select Full Screen
... it works! (i.e I get the full screen version of Edit Scrivenings)

But without that 'click in the doc' step, we get the first doc in full screen and the rest in FS doc history.

Now, I think that's a change from 1.08 and it's a smidgen counter-intuitive (for me, IMHO, ahem), but that's good enough, Keith, if that's how you want to do it. It's just 'one more click of da mouse'

(Oh, forgot to say last time: Your software totally rocks! Raise that price with gay abandon.)

Added later: Er, actually, it's not consistent to need that extra click. When I select a stack or folder of docs and click ES, then full screen, it works (as ES)... but when I select several docs individually and click ES, I need that extra step to make Full Screen come up as ES. That's quirky.

Peter
"The kowhai tree would never have met the tui if it hadn't found the courage to bloom."

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:03 am Post

Hi,

Thanks for picking up on the Edit Scrivenings problem. You are right that it is a change in 1.09 - an intentional change whereby I overlooked this one particular circumstance.

Basically, in 1.09 you can launch full screen by selecting a document in the corkboard or outliner and clicking on "Full Screen", launching the selected document into full screen. You couldn't do this before. To do this, Scrivener checks to see whether the binder, outliner or corkboard has the keyboard focus. If so, it launches full screen by placing the selected documents into the full screen navigational history and makes the document that appears in the inspector the main document.

This works fine except in the case where you select multiple documents in the binder, click on Edit Scrivenings and then click on Full Screen whilst the binder still has the focus.

I will fix this for 1.1, don't worry - in the meantime just click in the editor to make sure that the binder no longer has focus before entering full screen.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

Pe
PeterA

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:27 am Post

Happy to 'help', Keith. Scrivener is brilliant software. Brilliant. I love the ever-improving betas and how on to it you are. Cheers, Peter

al
albertsen

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:19 pm Post

Keith,

first of all thanks for the new release. It looks great.

I think I have found an issue though. It seems that the shortcut for Document Notes (Alt-Command-6) is not working. When I press Control-Command-6 the Project Notes show but when I then press Alt-Command-6 it doesn't switch to Document Notes.

Thanks,

Jürgen

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:58 pm Post

Hi albertsen - it works for me, so it must be something else interfering with that particular shortcut on your machine.
Best,
Keith

al
albertsen

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:23 pm Post

I wouldn't know what. I disabled Quicksilver and FastScripts just to make sure. I still doesn't work. I also had a look at my Keyboard System Preferences and couldn't find anything either.

I'm using a German keyboard layout and German localisation. Do you think that could be the problem?

Jürgen

Jo
Jolanth Szatmary

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:08 pm Post

Yes, same here. This shortcut just won't work, German keyboard as well, though it's hard to imagine how this could make any difference.

But I've got something else for you which could look familiar:

2007-10-14 20:51:33.803 Help Viewer[362] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSURL initWithString:relativeToURL:]: nil string parameter

What I did: I typed in »inspector« in Scrivener's help search window, got the results, searched and found the bit about toggling between document notes and project notes. Help viewer worked fine all the way, without the console I wouldn't have noticed at all.

And yes, I am getting the:

Oct 14 20:47:56 Powerbook /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context

all of the time, but as you said it seems completely harmless. This beta works just fine.

Edit: just checked it, switching to UK-keyboard layout makes the document/project-toggle shortcut work – which is odd, becaus ctrl, cmd and 6 are all in the same spot as in the German layout.