Hugh
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:07 pm Post

Have just downloaded the new beta; it looks cool and beautiful. :D

In
InklingBooks

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm Post

Lord Lightning wrote:Astonishing! Thanks Keith.

I also nominated Scrivener 1.1 for a Macworld Gem Award - I think others may have done as well. It has got to be a contender.

:D :D :D

Note this from MacWorld about our chance to vote for Scrivener in early November. Keep that date in mind. It's just after Leopard will (probably) come out.

Gem of the Year: As our Mac Gems weblog illustrates every week, great software doesn’t necessarily have to come from giant companies; sometimes, the best apps out there appear with little fanfare. We’d like to help those programs get a little more recognition, so let us hear about your favorite under-$50 apps.

We’re looking for nominees in all four categories. Any product released after November 1, 2006 is eligible for consideration. So give us your picks in the forum thread linked to below. We’re accepting nominations over the next two weeks. You’ll get your chance to vote on the finalists in early November.

St
Studio717

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 pm Post

Re: MacWorld

Like a doofus, I nominated it for Program of the Year - because it is to me! - but after reading some comments, I realize now it would be better as Gem of the Year because of its size.

My bad. :?

I'm really liking the new word count to cursor feature. Never thought it would make that much difference, but I find I'm checking it to keep track. Very nice. Thanks for implementing that. :)

dh
dhruva

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:16 am Post

you must not keep older versions of Scrivener around as they cannot open updated projects properly - they will completely corrupt them, as you have found out.

Well sorry for the late response (i'm in Australia). Anyway, I did not try to open it with an earlier version of scrivener. It was the current beta. But since everything else looks good, i guess it must have been a glitch in me :)

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:04 am Post

Of course, I've installed the latest beta and now I've noticed that regardless of whether I set "Typewriter Scrolling" on or off, the cursor pops to the middle of the page when I'm scrolling.

If it's always done that, feel free to (electronically) slap me, but I can't help but think it didn't...because I can never find the cursor when it does that, so I tend to think it wasn't doing it before.
J

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 pm Post

Jot - I can safely say that there has been no change in this regard. Perhaps you have only just noticed that if you are typing in the middle of a long document and move to a new line, it will snap to the middle regardless of whether typewriter scrolling is turned on or off. Yes, it will - it always has, as does TextEdit and other programs.
All the best,
Keith

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:31 pm Post

Thanks, Keith, I suspected I may've been having a 'senior moment'. Damn.

The latest version rocks, though. Marvelous.
J

od
odysseus

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 pm Post

I'm seeing this in the Console:

Scrivener Help
Scrivener Help
2007-10-12 17:46:25.355 Scrivener[1656] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (4) beyond bounds (4)
Scrivener Help

Not a biggie, I'm sure.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:48 pm Post

odysseus - that most certainly is a biggie - it is a runtime exception, which is a bug and could lead to odd behaviour. Please do read the general bug-reporting procedure - in other words, please post the exact steps necessary for me to reproduce this bug.
Best,
Keith

od
odysseus

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:04 am Post

KB wrote:odysseus - that most certainly is a biggie - it is a runtime exception, which is a bug and could lead to odd behaviour. Please do read the general bug-reporting procedure - in other words, please post the exact steps necessary for me to reproduce this bug.

I'll try. It looks like it involves Help, doesn't it?

By the way, I not infrequently seem artifacts when scrolling in Scrivenings mode:

Is this a bug?

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:33 am Post

It does look as though it involves Help, but it is hard to tell without you giving the exact circumstances in which it appeared...

As for the artefacts, yes, that is a minor bug which only seems to appear in certain circumstances. It has been reported on the forums periodically by different users. I encountered it the other day for the first time in months. It occasionally appears in other Cocoa programs, too, such as Nisus Writer, so it would appear to be an Apple bug rather than one specific to Scrivener.

Anyway, if you can reproduce the console error I would be most grateful.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Spitfire31

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:14 pm Post

I see odysseus' screen drawing bug all the time in Word, especially when I work at 125% zoom. I don't think it has anything to do with Scrivener.

/Joey

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:30 pm Post

Spitfire31, you hit the nail on the head, I forgot about that - it has to do with text zoom.
Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:16 pm Post

Edit/Insert/Auto-numbering menu appears to have an extra entry for <$n>.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 pm Post

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. I can only see the seven entries there are supposed to be. There is a "> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" which adds "<$sn>" (for sub-number), which adds a second 1, 2, 3... etc that will get reset the every time an <$n> is encountered. Is that what you mean? Or am I missing something?
Best,
Keith