Scrivener 1.1 (1.09) public beta now available

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm Post

I think this qualifies as "strange behavior," though the console did not mark it in bold, and the problem in which it showed up has, remarkably, resolved itself.

I installed the new beta, keeping the old one (1.08) in a separate file, along with all old projects.

I duplicated the current novel project, moved it to a new file, and opened it with the new beta (1.09). At first, there seemed to be no difference from 1.08, other than your noted modifications.

Then I noticed that ANY time I did ANYTHING with the binder -- click on a new folder or document, or on one which already had focus, or wait for the info block while hovering -- the console registered, once or as many as seven times, "CGContextSetStyle: invalid context." (No "warning" and no bold face.) This did not and does not happen in 1.08.

Nothing in the project appeared to suffer from this however, until I tried to edit scrivenings. I could click on a folder (containing files) and mark it for group editing, BUT I could not click on multiple individual documents for group editing. The doc heading in the binder would hold focus if only one was checked, but if I tried to check more than one, focus immediately shifted to the last checked document itself. The shading in binder went to gray, and I could not get into "edit scrivenings," either through the icon or through the menu.

I re-opened S 1.08 with opened the old file which was identical to the one now open in 1.09. I compared everything I could find, including the pref panels. No differences at all.

HOWEVER: I noticed that, while 1.08 was open, 1.09 suddenly began operating properly; that is, I could click on multiple separate docs in the binder, and open them as a scrivening.

Even stranger -- to me -- the corrected behavior apparently was learned. I shut down 1.08, and 1.09 now processes the scrivenings as it ought.

ALTHOUGH... the console still shows one or a series of "CGContextSetStyle: invalid context" any time I click on a binder item.

This happens with nothing else in the program, so far as I can tell. It doesn't even happen if I disable then re-enable the binder. But as soon as I click on any binder item, there it is again.

Phil

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:02 pm Post

Lord Lightning - thanks for the nomination!

dagaz wrote:I'm pretty sure this worked for previous betas, the automatic update feature doesn't work. When I use Check for Updates ... it says I have the latest version installed.

Nope, as Matt pointed out, no beta has ever been available via Check for Updates and neither should it be. Beta are only ever available via this forum. Asking the general user to update to a beta would not be a good idea.

Matt - a quick check reveals that title-case spelled-out numbers past twenty become Twenty-One, Twenty-Two etc. Spelled-out numbers and title-casing is all handled by Apple text methods, but this seems very reasonable to me, given that the first book I could find on my shelf with spelled-out title-case chapter numbers (Rachel Cusk's The Country Life) does it like this, too. Mind you, most books on my shelves don't spell chapter numbers out... 101 becomes One Hundred And One. Please don't write that many chapters, though. :)

Timotheus wrote:One question. Under System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard shortcuts, I have installed some shortcuts for Scrivener: F3 = Italics, F4 = Bold, and so on.

But in Scrivener, these shortcuts work only when the ruler is visible, not when it's invisible. Is this expected behaviour or a bug?

To me, it sounds as though you have somehow applied these shortcuts to the "Styles" menu in the ruler rather than Bold and Italic etc in the Text > Font menu. Certainly this is not a bug in Scrivener as keyboard shortcuts are all handled at the system level. There is no code involved in them at my end (I seem to spend a lot of time explaining that to people - AmberV, if you're reading, could you please pop something in the FAQ about how any problems with keyboard shortcuts have nothing to do with Scrivener, just about ever? Thanks!).

crimewriter - many thanks for proofreading! Much appreciated. I've capitalised Scrivener, but I left "without you..." as that is still my personal preference. (I don't think there is really any difference here - you having to do something, or the having being yours... Though I stand to be corrected.)

JF wrote:Well, I've given the new beta a whirl, and I've come across something odd. When using the comic script template and the Edit Scrivenings mode, I get an error sound when pressing tab after typing 'page', 'panel' and after character names in dialogue. The sound is not to be heard if I edit a single document at a time.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I also see that '<$sn>' after the panels is sometimes written in caps, sometimes not.

Indeed it was - and had you had the Console open in the background (as requested :P ) you would have noticed that an error was being thrown. This is a bug - well caught, thank you. The bug occurs when inserting more than one character and the end of a capitalised element that directly precedes another Scrivening. I have fixed it for 1.1. Thanks again.

ptakeuchi - scrivener.mdi is the Spotlight plugin. This is quite common - it just means that Spotlight had not let go of the Spotlight plugin inside your old copy of Scrivener. Trashing it was the right way to go, and there is nothing to worry about here.

suavito - at nearly midnight I was just happy to get the beta out and mention it any thread at all. :) Though I will bear your comment in mind for future betas (not that there should be any for a little while).

PJS - 1.08 most certainly did display the CGContextSetStyle warning from time to time, though I never managed to get to the bottom of it. My tests up until now have suggested that it is completely harmless. I have not seen it at all on the latest build of Leopard, despite doing everything I can to replicate it. (You can see my request to the Apple Cocoa-dev lists asking if anyone knew anything about this back in August here - as you can see, nobody really knew either.) Does this error appear in other projects? If not, perhaps you could send me the project for testing? Until any of this can be reproduced and replicated, I can't really do anything. I can say, however, that this has been present for sometime - it just happens to be the first time you have seen it.

Thanks!
All the best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm Post

KB wrote:There is no code involved in them at my end (I seem to spend a lot of time explaining that to people - AmberV, if you're reading, could you please pop something in the FAQ about how any problems with keyboard shortcuts have nothing to do with Scrivener, just about ever? Thanks!).

Actually the current FAQ does have a section on keyboard shortcuts and how it is a system level thing. It is tucked away in the advanced section though. I'll put a more basic synopsis in Interface with a cross-ref, as I think the advanced one focuses more on changing things like word selection and page-up page-down keys.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:50 pm Post

Something I've noticed with each beta release is that some preferences are getting reset to defaults each time. For instance the editor width gets adjusted. Is auto-capitalise first word a new one? Not a problem with the beta, but you might want to make sure existing preferences (obviously new ones to 1.03 branch will default), do not get smitten by the 1.1 update.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

su
suavito

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm Post

Same with export draft: reset to overwrite formatting.
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed

su
suavito

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:57 pm Post

THE FOOTNOTES EXPORT WORKS WITH CORRECT FORMATTING!!! HOORAY!

(This wasn't a Word or NeoOffice only problem, it didn't work with any other word processor it tested it with.)
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:02 pm Post

Certain preferences get reset because I have renamed them internally. This was necessary to keep things neat and tidy internally. I know users don't really care about the internals and I don't generally do stuff like that, but in these cases I felt it would avoid the possibility of future bugs caused by internal names being too similar. Thus, for instance, where one option has become two, the two new options have new names so the old option is lost (appearing reset).

Jan - I've added split view saving to the full screen inspector for 1.1.

Best,
Keith

JF
JF

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:46 pm Post

Sorry about the console, I completely forgot. Anyway, glad to hear that the bug will be fixed. That sound is annoying -- especially after several pages and panels and character names followed by parentheses.

I also remembered something I've experienced in previous editions. Whenever I enter a character name followed by '#' and a number, e.g. 'Man #1', and then hit return, I get the beach ball and have to wait for a couple of seconds before the cursor drops to the next line.

I ran the console, and I got this:

2007-10-10 22:30:05.896 cocoAspell[492] Attempting to regirster 22 dictionaries
2007-10-10 22:30:05.896 cocoAspell[492] cocoAspell registered Norwegian Bokmål from /Users/janfrodelunde/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell-no-0.50-1 2/no
2007-10-10 22:30:05.896 cocoAspell[492] Starting Aspell SpellChecker.
Oct 10 22:30:07 jan-frode-lundes-maskin crashdump[493]: cocoAspell crashed
Oct 10 22:30:07 jan-frode-lundes-maskin crashdump[493]: crash report written to: /Users/janfrodelunde/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/cocoAspell.crash.log

cocoAspell allows me to use a Norwegian dictionary with the cocoa text system. I just switched to the built-in English dictionary, and the problem didn't arise.

Does this mean the problem likely lies with cocoAspell rather than Scrivener?

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:53 pm Post

Hi JF,

It's more than just the sound - that is a proper exception, and after an exception a program can behave erratically, so you need to avoid the situation until 1.1 comes out. That means, don't hit tab after a Panel when it is placed directly above a different document in Edit Scrivenings. Add a return between them or something.

As for the dictionary thing - as you surmise, those errors having nothing to do with Scrivener but with the spelling dictionary built into Cocoa, by the sounds of it. Have you tried checking to see if the same happens in TextEdit? It would definitely be a good idea to report this to Apple via bugreport.apple.com if you can reproduce this consistently.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

dh
dhruva

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 am Post

ANY time I did ANYTHING with the binder -- click on a new folder or document, or on one which already had focus, or wait for the info block while hovering -- the console registered, once or as many as seven times, "CGContextSetStyle: invalid context." (No "warning" and no bold face.)

I'm getting this as well. I updated from 1.03 -I thought I would wait for the thing to go out of beta, but I couldn't wait any longer :).

Plus when I opened an old scrivener file, it asked to update, and when I did so, the new file was blank. I didn't have this problem with another file. But I had the console open at the time and it said, "Oct 11 13:21:13 dinesh /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: objc: FREED(id): message mainDocument sent to freed object=0x55041d0
Oct 11 13:21:16 dinesh crashdump[264]: Scrivener crashed
Oct 11 13:21:18 dinesh crashdump[264]: crash report written to: /Users/drao/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Scrivener.crash.log
2007-10-11 13:21:30.261 Scrivener[266] *** -[NSNull length]: selector not recognized [self = 0xa07bb218]
2007-10-11 13:21:30.264 Scrivener[266] *** -[NSNull length]: selector not recognized [self = 0xa07bb218]"

Do you want to see the crash log as well?

Cheers

Dinesh

ps: here's how it looked like
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/153 ... 31f029.jpg
pps: thats the only scrivener file that's causing any problem. All the others updated fine.

da
dagaz

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 am Post

KB wrote:
dagaz wrote:I'm pretty sure this worked for previous betas, the automatic update feature doesn't work. When I use Check for Updates ... it says I have the latest version installed.

Nope, as Matt pointed out, no beta has ever been available via Check for Updates and neither should it be. Beta are only ever available via this forum. Asking the general user to update to a beta would not be a good idea.

The reason I thought that was that the last non-beta release (1.03 if not mistaken) seems so long ago that I thought I must have used the automatic update feature since.

Anyway, thanks again for another solid update. My main project is now over 90 000 words and still chugging away nicely (but slowly).

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:56 am Post

Dinesh, please do take the time to read the beta readme. You must not keep older versions of Scrivener around as they cannot open updated projects properly - they will completely corrupt them, as you have found out. Please also see the first post in this thread which explains this. This is a bug with earlier versions of Scrivener, not the beta.

As for the CGContextSetStyle thing - well, I've already explained that this is a known issue and even pointed to a thread where I have asked other developers about it. It seems harmless, but I am well aware of it.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:16 am Post

Regarding the CGContextSetStyle console log error (and please, anyone using the beta, please do have the console running alongside Scrivener so that you can help catch things like this):

I just booted into Tiger but I still can't reproduce it. I haven't seen it in over a month now (though I have seen it). Could anyone who is seeing it please do the following:

1) Send me your preferences file (search for com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist). It may have something to do with the fonts and colours set up, maybe.
2) Describe your window set up exactly: e.g. binder open, inspector open, notes pane visible, synopsis collapsed, vertical split in main editor, PDF in top view, text in bottom view, tinted labels on and so forth. Even better, send me a screenshot (you can use Grab.app in your Applications/Utilities folder for this).
3) Give me step-by-step instructions stating exactly what you were doing when this error appeared on the console.

Thanks!
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 am Post

One more related note:

When you quit Scrivener and then relaunch it, does the CGContextSetStyle problem go away? Having reproduced it with the help of a user, what I seem to be finding is this:

If I update a project created on an older version of Scrivener, I see the CGContextSetStyle message. If I close and reopen the project, I still see the message. However, if I quit Scrivener and relaunch, the message seems to go away for that project. If I update another project, I will see the message again.

Is this happening for others?

Best,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 am Post

Hold the front page! Forget that last post - it has nothing to do with updating. Though strangely the problem only seems to appear for me when I open a project through File > Open or if a project is updated, rather than if it is opened automatically at launch.

Anyway, I believe the problem is caused by the shadow that is being applied to the font for selected items in the binder. Getting rid of that code got rid of the error in the circumstances described above. I'll now post on the Cocoa lists to see if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong, because I can't...

Thanks and all the best,
Keith