Scrivener 1.1 (1.09) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:54 pm Post

Hello all,

We're getting close to 1.1 now. The feature set is locked and everything that is going to appear in 1.1 is in this new, 1.09 beta. The Help file has been updated, as has the tutorial. You will also need to reinstall the Extras, which have likewise been updated (and you will thus have to update any saved settings you have already created). There is nothing left to do except fix any bugs that appear in this beta, now. So, I'm hoping to have one or two weeks of beta testing and then release 1.1 just before Leopard comes out.

You can download 1.09 here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _1b109.dmg

The changes between 1.08 and 1.09 can be found at the end of this post and also in the readme file; the full change list since 1.03 is way too long to post here, so please refer to the readme file on the DMG. (Note that some of the things I thought about adding for 1.09 and mentioned in my the 1.08 release thread have been put back for future versions because of the amount of work involved.)

Once 1.1 is released, 1.1.1 will focus on adding one small feature that I hope to announce soon along with minor bug fixes. After that, there will be feature freeze for a while (as I've always promised) as I use Scrivener to write my own stuff...

FYI, 1.1 is fully compatible with Leopard as of the latest seeds. And very nice it looks, too.

Note that this version will update projects created on 1.055b or below, as it now stores version information in a different way. (A problem in the past has been that older versions of Scrivener that encounter a .scriv file in a newer file format will mistake it for an older format and try to update it, thus corrupting it; it is too late for me to fix this in versions that are already out there, but as of this version, it won't try to update files created on future versions of Scrivener.)

It will also update projects created on recent betas, as the binderStrings.xml file is no longer saved during auto-saves, but only upon closing a project (this should speed up the saving of large projects significantly). This also means that you will see a progress bar when you first load a project, telling you that search strings are being synchronised.

I provide this beta so that users can test out new features and stability, to ensure that 1.1 is as solid as possible whilst I update the Help file. If you download this beta, please do help me out as follows:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.1 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

3) Remember it's a beta
I would be especially grateful to those who have the chance to proof-read sections of the Help file. :)

Enjoy!
Best,
Keith

Change list between 1.08 and 1.09
• Added toggle binder toolbar icon (thanks to Nathalie Lussier for providing the icon).
• The URL field in the Import Web Page sheet now defaults to what is on the clipboard if the clipboard contains a valid web URL.
• You can now convert PDF files to text using the Documents > Convert menu (“Convert Web Archive to Textâ€
Last edited by KB on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

JF
JF

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:52 pm Post

Thank you for the update! Once again, I must say I really appreciate the effort.

Ro
RobertB

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03 am Post

Cool! Downloading now. Thank you for all your hard work!

bl
bluloo

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:06 am Post

Crikies, what a list. You are truly one hard working coder!

thanks

:)

Lord Lightning

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 am Post

Astonishing! Thanks Keith.

I also nominated Scrivener 1.1 for a Macworld Gem Award - I think others may have done as well. It has got to be a contender.

:D :D :D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

da
dagaz

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 am Post

I'm pretty sure this worked for previous betas, the automatic update feature doesn't work. When I use Check for Updates ... it says I have the latest version installed.

Once again, the change log is just stupendous.

ma
matt

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 am Post

dagaz wrote:I'm pretty sure this worked for previous betas, the automatic update feature doesn't work. When I use Check for Updates ... it says I have the latest version installed.

Once again, the change log is just stupendous.

I am pretty sure automatic update hasn't been aware of any of the betas (otherwise, a whole bunch of users would see the message and update, unaware they were moving to beta software).

Keith - how does your title-case spelled-out numbers work past 20, and 100?
Is it Twenty-One, Twenty One, Twenty-one...?
Similarly, One Hundred One or One Hundred and One?

Not that I expect too many users to want spelled-out numbers that go this high (above 10, I think I would resort to the digits), but I am curious.

Matt

Ti
Timotheus

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:31 am Post

Big compliments, Keith!

One question. Under System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard shortcuts, I have installed some shortcuts for Scrivener: F3 = Italics, F4 = Bold, and so on.

But in Scrivener, these shortcuts work only when the ruler is visible, not when it's invisible. Is this expected behaviour or a bug?
Last edited by Timotheus on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.

ma
matt

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:47 am Post

KB wrote:Added toggle binder toolbar icon (thanks to Nathalie Lussier for providing the icon)..

Was in the middle of posting "afraid I must be blind... where is it?", then I realised that you can customise the toolbar, and mine hadn't updated to the latest default.

cr
crimewriter

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 am Post

Thanks, Keith, again.

You asked for proof-reading comments on the Tutorial, so here are a couple of very minor points. I zoomed through, reading too fast for proper proof-reading, but noticed the following:

Step 8, last but one para, line 2: '--without you having to click outside of this text'. This is clunkier than your normal, smooth style and I'd suggest (being a pedant): '--without your having to click outside this text'.

Step 16, Scrivener Links: 'you can also create scrivener links' should have cap S for Scrivener.

Well, I said they were minor, didn't I?

:roll:

cw
Some quiet night when you've shirked your work because of fatigue or distraction, open a window of your house and listen. Do you hear that distant clicking sound? That's one of your competitors, pecking away at his keyboard in Paris or London or Erie, PA

JF
JF

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:26 am Post

Well, I've given the new beta a whirl, and I've come across something odd. When using the comic script template and the Edit Scrivenings mode, I get an error sound when pressing tab after typing 'page', 'panel' and after character names in dialogue. The sound is not to be heard if I edit a single document at a time.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I also see that '<$sn>' after the panels is sometimes written in caps, sometimes not.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:08 pm Post

... and in Outliner, the word count is now flush right.

Bless you for small but welcome favors.

Phil

Ja
Jan

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:02 pm Post

One (very minor) annoyance that has been bugging me for a while is still present in this beta: The Fullscreen Inspector HUD does not remember the position of the Notes/Keywords split bar between sessions. It would be nice if you could fix this in one of the next betas.

Thanks for the update!

pt
ptakeuchi

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:26 pm Post

Keith,
While installing the latest beta with a simple drag into my apps folder where 1.08 was already installed, the copy went through after I agreed to replace, but then said that a file (something like scrivener.mdi) was in use and could not be replaced (the app was not running, of course). This did not seem to impair the install, but as a precaution, I dragged my installed copy of Scrivener app to the trash and reinstalled without an error message. Everything seems fine.
Paul

su
suavito

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:31 pm Post

Thanks again for another awesome update!

One minor wish, Keith: When a new beta is released could you post a final post in the thread for the then penultimate beta to inform the reader about the new one?

The beta threads are of major importance and in my case the only ones I subscribed to – why more? Scrivener just WORKS! – and it would be fine to learn from them about a new beta. It would make a good replacement for the betas' non-working update function.

Beside from that … well, I don't know what more to say. I'll have to check out all the great new details first. Just reading the changes list already was like finding your Christmas wish list with a "done" added to each item. You'd make a great Santa!
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed