Scrivener beta 2 now public

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:18 pm Post

Hello folks,

Beta 2 is now available (link below). Please just let me say a big THANK YOU to everybody who has contributed to these forums or sent me e-mails with bug reports and suggestions. I also curse you all, though, for coming up with such good ideas. I had hoped that I would release beta 1 and be able to refuse most suggestions on grounds of design philosophy, but that just wasn't the case. :) Anyway, the list of changes to this version says a lot more about how much I value your input than words alone, and you can find that list at the end of this post and also at the end of the readme file. So, without further ado, here is beta 2:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... erRCb2.dmg

The main focus for beta 3 will be implementing MultiMarkdown so that export to LaTeX is supported in some way. I'll also apply some more thought to the way the outliner and corkboard modes work, and the way that you are currently faced with blank screens when selecting a childless document. And I'll also be improving navigation so that it remembers the mode you were in - so if you select a card in the corkboard and hit cmd-enter to open it in the editor, hitting the "back" button will take you back to the corkboard (right now, it would show you the last document in editor mode, which in this situation is a little annoying). There are some other small fixes and alterations I have lined up, too, but I don't want to list everything here because none of it is guaranteed and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. :)

Anyway, thanks again - I hope you like the new beta as much as I do. It should be a big step towards confirming a stable release. Please do take a few minutes to look through the list of changes below (or in the readme file) to familiarise yourself with the new features/bug fixes.

All the best,
Keith

Changes to beta 2
- Fixed: Labels and status of old projects were not being updated to be editable, which could cause crashes.
- Word and character counts are now available in outliner view.
- Fixed: Merging documents caused any snapshots of documents other than the first one to be lost; all snapshots are now moved into merged document.
- Dragging a document out of the corkboard or outliner into the binder no longer changes the first responder and thus the current document. This new behaviour makes it easier to drag items in and out of a corkboard or outliner without the document continually (and possibly unexpectedly) changing.
- Added preference to specify that double-clicking on the icon of a document without children in the corkboard should open the double-clicked document for editing rather than go through to an empty corkboard. ("Treat all items as folders...")
- Removed MS Word export, as it is meaningless and also misleading, as RTF is always the preferable format for getting documents into Word.
- Fixed minor bug in contextual menu word count that could cause an extra word to be counted when selection spans spaces.
- Added Scrivener Link as an option to the text view's contextual menu.
- Fixed spinning beachball of death in Export Draft when trying to export without annotations or footnotes.
- Fixed: scroll buttons did not work in text view in full screen (hopefully this should also fix the mouse wheel bug). .nib file was apparently corrupted. (Note: the file got corrupted _again_ during making other changes, and I had to fix it again - seems very prone to corruption - strange.
- Added "Duplicate" to Edit menu (Cmd-D) - duplicates selection.
- Corkboard view now only displays label menu if ctrl-click was on pin; otherwise shows normal contextual menu.
- Changed smart hyphen behaviour so that now two hyphens create an em-dash (can be turned off via Preferences).
- Added keyboard shortcuts to navigate through views (Cmd-J,K,L & I).
- Rejigged import files panel.
- Fixed: if "paper" was set to full width in full screen when scroll bar wasn't visible, there was a blank area where the scroll bar should be.
- All icons (PDF, image etc) now have stack icons like the one for text to indicate that the document has children.
- Added "Lock in Place" option in header view icon menu. Option gets checked and header turns a different colour to indicate that the binder selection has no effect on changing the document (unless Edit Scrivenings is clicked, in which case "lock in place" is reset). If the header view is hidden, "lock in place" is reset. Likewise, the navigation buttons override "Lock in Place" too.
- Fixed: Crash on maximise (eg. after a project is updated from SG format) and in certain other circumstances related to custom web archiving. (Thanks kukkorova and Gaijin for help tracking this one down.)
- Added Copy without Annotations or Footnotes
- Match Split Document(s) added to header menu - synchronizes split views.
- Buttons added to header views to quickly create and remove splits. (Option-click split button to change split type.)
- Added diagonal label stamp in corkboard (Alt-Cmd-S).
- Added preference for translucent corkboard pins.
- Keywords HUD panels now display project name so they can be differentiated when multiple projects are open. Likewise with snapshots panel.
- Toned down highlighter colours (which are now based on the colours in Nisus Writer - don't like 'em? Tough!)
- Fixed: Toolbar items with menu retained large size when toolbar was set to use small icons.
- Outliner views now retain expanded states between toggling outliner view.
- Fixed crash in corkboard when displaying lots of media files as images (hopefully).
- Corkboard optimised so that images are only loaded as needed (ie. only those that are visible).
- Fixed: On adding a new document, title editor was placed across the top of the corkboard (ie. at 0,0) in one instance (originally caused by some of the corkboard optimisations).
- Corkboard contextual menu now has a "Status" submenu for altering status.
- When attempting to import media into the Draft folder, it is now placed into a folder inside Research entitled "Imported media [date]" instead of being imported directly into the Research folder.
- Label colours are now randomly picked when creating a new label rather than always starting off white (and default label colours have been changed to pastel shades).
- Annotation, Footnote & Highlight menu items are now checked/unchecked to indicate formatting of current selection.
- Added a preference to prevent "Return-creates-new-document" behaviour.
- Rejected experiment: Allow text files to be opened in separate, TextEdit style (floating) panel via Float > Text/Notes in Window menu. Tried this, but didn't like it. It didn't play well with menu items (eg. Find, ironically, can't find a key window that is not main, so cannot work for a normal floating panel). It all felt clunky and against the new design philosophy; I prefer the single-window layout, so have rejected this for the foreseeable future.
- One key toggle to hide all other window elements except editor (Shrink/Expand Document View, Shift-Alt-Cmd-W via the Layout menu).
- Added a "close" button to binder footer view during searches, so that search can be ended if it was instigated by keyword HUD when toolbar is not visible.
- Added "Whole Words Only" option to Replace All, so that only whole words can be replaced.
- Can now change notes and text background colours via the Preferences.
- The "import files" nag sheet can now be hidden via Preferences or via "Do not show this message again" checkbox.
- "Footnotes as Endnotes" option is now only available in Export sheet if RTF is the selected format, as it has no meaning for other formats.
- Fixed: weird bracket effects on export or copy of text with annotations and footnotes in some circumstances, caused by clash between annotations and footnotes.
- Improved Export Draft progress bar to reflect actual progress.
- Added "include annotations inline" option so that those who don't have Word can still create a document with real footnotes but annotations inline that will be viewable in eg. Mellel, Nisus Writer.
- Added pull down menu to Export Draft for choosing the root folder inside the draft from which to export. This way, chapters can be exported instead of the whole draft.
- Fixed: bug whereby sometimes, upon adding a document, editing its title and hitting return, nothing happened. Clicking on other documents caused those to get renamed. Caused by field editor still being active upon adding documents. Fixed by forcing editing to end whenever documents are created, moved or deleted (which is as it should be).
- Fixed trying to overwrite an older project when backing up a project would fail.
- Append clipping service is now undoable
- (Very) basic "Screenwriting" text mode added. Provides automatic generic screenplay text formatting. Note that everything is one inch to the left of standard formatting, as it is assumed that you will add a one inch margin when printing. This is in no way a substitute for dedicated screenwriting software such as Final Draft or Montage, but just intended to help make Scrivener more of a general writer's tool.
- (Hopefully) Fixed: weird glitch in corkboard where drop lines take up whole height of view occasionally, or sometimes don't appear at all. Caused by not checking whether the current row was full or not, and by a silly float/int mistake.
- Fixed (I hope): 1 pixel vibration in full screen. With typewriter scrolling + 125% scale, sometimes (not always) the view would vibrate very slightly whilst typing. Apparently a rounding error; added 1 pixel buffer either side before adjusting scroll point for typewriter scrolling, which _should_ prevent issue - seems to be fixed but needs monitoring.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to navigate between documents in *other* document view (Go > Secondary Document, Alt-Cmd-[ & ]).
- Added ability to swap documents in split to Layout menu.
- Added "Set selection as title" option (Shift-Alt-Cmd-T).
- Added note to Preferences after Scrivenings newline option to indicate that this will also affect Export Draft for combined text documents.
- Enhancement: When a folder is selected and its contents are used for Edit Scrivenings, the text should update to accommodate any documents that are added to that group, or any that are moved out of that group.
- Enhancement: new document is now available when text is selected - new document is inserted after the current document. This means that you can now add a text document on the fly during Edit Scrivenings sessions.
- Split document options now work without ending Edit Scrivenings sessions.
- Added "insert current date" keyboard shortcut, a la MacJournal (Shift-Cmd-D).
- Changed default text encoding for importing plain text files to UTF8; if this fails, it falls back to ASCII. Note that if import does not work as expected, change the encoding of the document you wish to import to UTF8 via TextEdit before importing.
- Fixed minor bug in Project Settings where font name would override "Group/Text Title Font" fields in Export Options.
- Fixed minor bug in full screen keyword inspector whereby exiting full screen whilst editing new keyword could cause the new keyword not to be registered with the central keywords HUD.
- Change "smart hyphens" in Preferences to read "Replace double hyphen with em-dash.", to reflect new behaviour.
- Experimented with having the corkboard and outliner show parent documents of documents that have no children, so that selecting items in binder with no children would affect selection in corkboard/outliner. This felt very strange, though (sort of "remote selection"), and because it does not play well with how Scrivener has been put together, this idea has been rejected for the foreseeable future.
- Experimented with having corkboard and outliner show Edit Scrivenings items. However, it feels more natural for "Edit Scrivenings" to take you straight to the text. So, instead...
- Search results now displays label and status.
- Added keyboard shortcut (cmd-R) to toggle ruler.
- Inspector view can now be widened to 500 pixels instead of the previous maximum width of 300 pixels (note that because of the way Cocoa split views, there has to be a limitation on the width).
- Fixed split view weirdness in the Supporting Materials panel whereby the split view would uncollapse itself when resized.
- Added option to insert line break/paragraph break/page break via Edit menu as in TextEdit.
- Added option to convert words to upper/lower/title case in Text menu.
- Added option to convert multiple spaces to single spaces in Text menu.
- Added option to Preferences to enable spell checking by default for new projects.
- Added options to Project Statistics sheet to exclude annotations and footnotes from count.
- Fixed bugs where references to web URLs could not be opened.
- Fixed bug in auto-capitalise where adding punctuation after a single-word sentence with annotation attributes enabled would cause the punctuation mark not to receive the annotation colour.
- Changed annotation behaviour so that changing colour during typing will start another annotation of a different colour.
- Added current time and duration display to QuickTime view.
- Index cards that have children now have a "stack" look in Corkboard mode.
- Fixed bug in search menu whereby "Search Selection Only" does not actually find anything.
- Fixed bug whereby dragging a folder into another project wouldn't always copy all of the files across properly.
- Fixed certain bugs in split views where sometimes split views could be resized too far which would cause views and crontrols to get pushed out of place. (Split views are hell; there may be more bugs lurking about here...)
- Fixed bug where trying to drag-select beyond edge of text view in full screen would not work. Fixed this by insetting text view from top and bottom of screen slightly.
- Added smart quotes preferences based on Mellel so that users can choose their smart quotes either from a list of languages or by defining their own, so that Scrivener's smart quotes are no longer English-only.
- Added preference for smart ellipses.
- Added preference for ruler units (inches or cm).
- Hitting return whilst editing in the outliner view now ends editing rather than going to the next record, to remain consistent with corkboard and binder views.
- Added horizontal scroller to outliner view.
- Added ability to split document/split document with title in full screen (and to update ES accordingly).
- Added key combination for strike-through (in Text menu).
- Hitting escape now begins and ends edit in corkboard as well as in the outliner and binder.
- Double-clicking in the text of an index card now sets the insertion point to the clicked point, to make the behaviour consistent with the outliner.
- Added case-sensitive option to search menu.
- "Open in Editor" (cmd-enter) added to Go menu. If an item or multiple items in the binder, search table, corkboard or outliner is selected, hitting this will open up the document and switch to editor mode. When multiple items are selected, this does exactly the same as clicking on the "Edit Scrivenings" button (note that Edit Scrivenings gives you more options for editing the contents of a group). How these work together probably needs a little thought for beta 3.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for play/pause media to alt-cmd-enter, as cmd-enter is now used for "Open in Editor" (which will most likely be used more).
- Added "Create new reference" to references, so that you can type/paste in a reference URL manually rather than begin forced to find it on disk or drag it in from the internet.
Last edited by KB on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:32 pm Post

Yippee Skippee!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

GV
GVDub

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:56 pm Post

Although all documents are opening blank. Opening the tutorial in Binder mode shows 0 words, 0 characters for all documents.
"About the most originality any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgement"
Josh Billings (1818-1885)

AmberV

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:01 pm Post

Weird, I'm not seeing that. Try deleting your preferences and starting with a fresh set.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:13 pm Post

Although all documents are opening blank. Opening the tutorial in Binder mode shows 0 words, 0 characters for all documents.

What do you mean "binder mode"? There hasn't been a binder mode since Scrivener Gold. Are you sure this is getting opened in the new beta, and not in an old copy of Scrivener Gold? That would explain the weird behaviour...

EDIT: Yep, testing this out and trying to open the new tutorial in SG, you would get the results you are describing. Is the application icon yellow? Scrivener's icon is black and white, not yellow and white like SG's... Sounds like you need to delete all copies of SG as advised in the readme file. Please do let me know if this is resolved, otherwise this one will worry me. :)

Jo
Joakim Hertze

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:16 pm Post

I'm almost afraid so say this, but two-finger-scrolling still only works intermittently. At least on my iBook G4.
It's weird. If I go to preferences and set the scroll bar to visible, click apply, change the scroll bar back to non-visible and then click apply again the two-finger-scrolling works for a while.

Otherwise this beta seems great! I'll take it for a spin during the next few days.
Joakim.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:25 pm Post

I'm almost afraid so say this, but two-finger-scrolling still only works intermittently. At least on my iBook G4.
It's weird. If I go to preferences and set the scroll bar to visible, click apply, change the scroll bar back to non-visible and then click apply again the two-finger-scrolling works for a while.

I assume you are talking about full screen mode only? This is strange... I wasn't even aware there was a problem with two-finger scrolling - only with the scroll buttons and scroll wheel. How does two-finger scrolling work in normal mode?

Two-finger scrolling works absolutely fine on my my MacBook. Is your iBook one of the newer ones that support two-finger scrolling natively, or are you using iScroll? I assume you already know that two-finger scrolling only works whilst the cursor is inside the "paper" area...

Thanks,
Keith

EDIT: Can somebody let me know whether mouse scrolling now works?

GV
GVDub

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:35 pm Post

KB wrote:[What do you mean "binder mode"? There hasn't been a binder mode since Scrivener Gold. Are you sure this is getting opened in the new beta, and not in an old copy of Scrivener Gold? That would explain the weird behaviour...

Yup. Boy do I feel dumb now. Apparently the old file association to SG is still active, despite my having tried to change it, so double-clicking on a .scriv document goes straight for SG rather than the beta.

Sorry.
"About the most originality any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgement"

Josh Billings (1818-1885)

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:37 pm Post

Whew! You had me worried there. :) It's easily done, given that they have the same file type. The new Scrivener can tell whether you are trying to load an old document, but SG has no idea that you are trying to load a new one, because I didn't think to add version-checking back in SG. My bad.

Jo
Joakim Hertze

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:46 pm Post

Yep, I'm talking about scrolling in full screen mode. It works just fine in the standard mode and it works in full screen mode as long as the scrollbar is visible.
I have the very last model of iBook G4 (nine months old), which means it supports two-finger-scrolling natively. I've never run into this problem with any other application either.

The customisable smart quote conversion works great, by the way. You really went out of your way with that one. Excellent! I'm very grateful.
Joakim.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:52 pm Post

Glad the smart quotes work.

Okay, I've just recreated the two-finger scrolling problem. I am guessing your text is scaled in full screen, am I right? I'm not sure what's causing it, but I'll add it to the bug list.

Jo
Joakim Hertze

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:01 pm Post

Yes I have the text scaled while in fullscreen mode. Setting the scale to 100% (and restarting the app) seems to fix it for me, but only for a while. After that I have the same problem also in natural scale.

In a strange way I'm glad you were able to recreate it. I was beginning to think it was all in my head. ;-)
Last edited by Joakim Hertze on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joakim.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:08 pm Post

Ah, actually I don't think it's the scale but the typewriter scrolling. I've just done something that _should_ fix it - at least it seems to for me, though I've only tested briefly. I've uploaded the (hopefully) fixed version, so can you re-download the beta and see if it's any better?

AmberV

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:28 pm Post

I have only barely scratched the surface of this update, and already it is incredible! One small thing in the readme and change list posted here (Cmd-Shift-Opt J/K/L/I). The list says simply Cmd J/K/L/I.
Ioa Petra'ka

Jo
Joakim Hertze

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:35 pm Post

I don't know what you did (and probably wouldn't understand it), but it seems to have done the trick. It's working for me now. Great!
Joakim.