Scrivener 1.1 (1.08) public beta now available

antony

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:08 pm Post

@Wock: without wanting to sound churlish, where are those photo-based icons sourced from?

There are firm legal issues surrounding photo usage, and even if you have a license to use them, it doesn't necessarily mean you can transfer that license to Keith for usage in Scrivener...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Wock

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:20 pm Post

Each are Royalty Free images so no license is need in using them. YOu just can't trade mark them in a logo because since they are royalty free someone else may use them in say an Ad or other print design.

In other words they are clip art and fall under the same usage agreements. He can use them, alter them in any way. He just can't use them in a trademarked or copyrighted situation because that would make them non usable by the public.

Since they are not above a resolution of 72 dpi it would not fall under the idea of resdistrubution of the image. Since it was designed by me and given to Keith (Client) then it follows the guidelines of agreement for the images.

What designers do every day when using clipart is they alter or use in a layout and then sell the item as is to a client. The client then can use the product in its intended form without worry of license infringement.

In other words I as a designer lay out an ad for your company. I use Royalty free pictures in the said ad. I then sell the ad design to you and you can use it as is for as long as you want. You own the Ad or the complete design. Where the infringement would happen is if you decompile the Ad and extracted the image out and used it without permission from the designer for other Ads or other purposes or if you tried to redistribute the picture at a resolution GREATER then 72 dpi.

I designed the icon FOR Keith and it is NOT greater than 72 dpi so he can use it as was the original intent (For GUI INTERFACE) and not break any license agreements. Now if I had sent him images higher than 72 dpi for the sole intention of using as an icon and he took the images and put them on his website or put them in an Ad separatly from the original design (Icon in GUI) then a license infringement would occur.

So he is in the clear for using them on his GUI without fear or reprisal.

:wink:

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:20 pm Post

Wock, under what name would you like to be credited for the typewriter icon? (If there is a link to the royalty-free source that I could also cite, that would be great.)
Thanks!
Keith

Wock

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:45 pm Post

KB wrote:Wock, under what name would you like to be credited for the typewriter icon? (If there is a link to the royalty-free source that I could also cite, that would be great.)
Thanks!
Keith

Credit it to "The Pigeon"

RF source let me check which Photo Company Disc was the original source I used (There are many vendors i.e Photo Disc, Getty Images, etc) and I don't want to give you the wrong credit info. <ouch>)

Instead of using single CD's where I work we archive all our Clip Art onto raid systems for easy searching and access so I would need to locate the orginal discs and find the company name. If I can't locate the original vendor you can just list it as a RFS Image (Royality Free Source Image)

antony

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:56 pm Post

@Wock: I'm familiar with how royalty-free images work (I spent ten years as a pro designer before becoming a writer). I just think this is somewhat of a grey area given that Keith isn't a paying, traditional client.

That said, I'm of course not familiar with the specific agreement regarding the discs you have, so fair enough.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

br
brunsli

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm Post

Dear Keith and others

[I am back from the mountains...]
The answer with the buggy table code from apple is exactly what I was afraid of...
Let's hope Apple will fix it!!

I like to double Katherine's comment that tables are really important for non-fiction writers...

Brunsli

KB
Site Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 pm Post

brunsli, the more people who moan at them the better:

http://bugreport.apple.com

File any bug reports under TextEdit, which is their showcase for the OS X text system.

Best,
Keith

eio

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:10 pm Post

Dunno when it was solved, but in this beta I discovered the option of disabling the autocapitalization of "I" in the preferences, and I'm very happy, since in Italian "i" is a plural determinative article and it doesn't need capitalization.

Thank you very much.

:)

Alessandro

KB
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:03 pm Post

Hi Alessandro (you share your name with one of my favourite authors, Alessandro Baricco),

This is exactly why this was added to the preferences - another Italian user pointed this out to me. Glad you found it and that it helps!

All the best,
Keith

eio

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:01 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi Alessandro (you share your name with one of my favourite authors, Alessandro Baricco)

I write a lot better though ;)

Alessandro

je
jean-louis

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:17 pm Post

Not a bug but something to know:
Suppose you have a project wich name is AugustProject.
You write something more on it and then decide to backup the project with a new name, for example SeptemberProject.
If autoSave is set on a value superior to the time of backup operation, you will backup the old AugustProject WITHOUT its last corrections...
I hope my english makes sense :roll:

Ro
Rory

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:45 pm Post

I think I read somewhere Scrivener backs up before any save. That would prevent saving an old version.
However, the SeptemberProject backup will still say "September," not "August." The content would be identical.
Am I right?

je
jean-louis

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:00 pm Post

It seems that during a "Backup Project to..." operation, Scrivener copies your project but uses what is already saved on disk and not what is currently in memory.
So, if you make a correction on something you've to wait the time set up in preferences/autosave before doing a backup if you want to retrieve your modifications.

antony

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:02 am Post

Or you could just hit Command-S before doing a backup...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

je
jean-louis

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:34 pm Post

antony wrote:Or you could just hit Command-S before doing a backup...

you're a genius! :shock: