Scrivener 1.1 (1.08) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:29 pm Post

Hello all,

I'm not going to say that this is hopefully the final beta as I have the past three times (!), as in fact I think there will probably be a 1.09 and maybe even a 1.095 before 1.1 becomes official. Still, this release fixes previous bugs and I've just finished the mammoth task of updating the Help file. So, without further to-do, here is the 1.08 beta:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _1b108.dmg

The changes between 1.07 and 1.08 can be found at the end of this post and also in the readme file; the full change list since 1.03 is way too long to post here, so please refer to the readme file on the DMG.

For the record, here is what I am thinking about doing for 1.09, before 1.1 becomes official:

Export Draft improvements:
1) Allow separators to be chosen for folder documents, too.
2) Allow option of formatting titles by type or by level (this follows on from a post by a user called Will in the Wish List forum yesterday - I like the idea enough that I will look into adding it for 1.1, though this does not constitute a promise of intent :) ).

RTFD export/printing improvents:
Superscript footnote numbers and provide a line between the end of the manuscript and the footnotes (only for RTFD export and printing - plain text & HTML should still use square brackets)

- Look into problems with password-protected PDF files.
- Find/make a decent ringbinder image for a "Toggle Binder" toolbar item (if anyone fancies making a toolbar item for "Toggle Binder" I would be deeply grateful).
- Find/make a better icon for "Typewriter mode" - the current typewriter icon is horrible (again, if anyone wants to make me a toolbar icon for this, I would be equally deeply grateful).

Important Note: I am away on holiday for a week from tomorrow until the following Saturday (11th - 18th August) and thus will not be able to reply to any posts here until next week. Please try to help me by taking the time to read through posts already made by others in this thread, so that when I return I don't have to sift through lots of duplicate bug reports. Thanks. :)

FYI, 1.1 is fully compatible with Leopard as of the latest (WWDC) Leopard seed. And very nice it looks, too.

Note that this version will update projects created on 1.055b or below, as it now stores version information in a different way. (A problem in the past has been that older versions of Scrivener that encounter a .scriv file in a newer file format will mistake it for an older format and try to update it, thus corrupting it; it is too late for me to fix this in versions that are already out there, but as of this version, it won't try to update files created on future versions of Scrivener.)

I provide this beta so that users can test out new features and stability, to ensure that 1.1 is as solid as possible whilst I update the Help file. If you download this beta, please do help me out as follows:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.1 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

3) Remember it's a beta
I would be especially grateful to those who have the chance to proof-read sections of the Help file. :)

Enjoy!
Best,
Keith

Change list between 1.07 and 1.08
• Fixed bug whereby a standard Aqua scroller in full screen would be displayed even if “No scrollerâ€
Last edited by KB on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sy
Syntheticore

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:09 am Post

Wow Keith, thanks for the new beta. I'm trying it out now and it's nice and smooth.

I have never made any icons before (but I have dabbled with graphics design for a few years) so I decided to give it a try. Please find attached a "ring binder" icon. I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not.. and feel free to use it or pass on it, I don't mind. I just thought I would give it a shot. :)

I also put a jpg so you can preview before you download. ;) Oh and I didn't work on a typewriter one... I don't think I've seen enough typewriters to come up with something like that. Sorry mate.

Enjoy your vacation!!
Attachments
ring_binder_icon.zip
The ring binder icon itself.
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
ringbinder-icon-128.jpg
A jpg preview.
ringbinder-icon-128.jpg (3.82 KiB) Viewed 6662 times

antony

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:26 am Post

KB wrote:• Selected item in the binder now appears in bold so that the white doesn’t make it too difficult to read.

Thaaaaaaaaaankyooooooooooooooooou :D
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ptram

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:33 pm Post

Keith, thank you for the new beta.

- The auto-hide scroller function now works. Only, the scroller appears in an odd place (not in the right margin, but somewhere before it - using a 19" monitor at 1280 x 1024). Also (but this is a matter of personal taste) it could be a bit faster in appearing and disappering after the mouse has moved far from it.

- The Project Statistics crash seem to have been gone.

- The selective corkboard thing is awesome. I could we live without?

As of now, everything else seems to be working fine. Another great update!

Paolo

da
dagaz

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:08 am Post

I can tell from the change log that you're getting closer to the final version - this log goes for less than half a page! :wink:

ptram

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:16 am Post

Keith,

When using a formatting different than the default one, annotations are larger than text, and extend after the right margin (see attached picture).

Paolo
Attachments
extednded_highlight.png
Highlight goes too far
extednded_highlight.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 6411 times

mc
mcbend

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:19 am Post

Hi all
Hi Keith, nice vacation, or good times back !

IS IT POSSIBLE, THAT ?? - In session, (no report in crash files),
creating "new text" page -> sets all typing all in "UPPERCASE" ?

cheers all nice summer, from here in cloudy Paris ! very Cooooool !

ja
janra

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:13 pm Post

mcbend wrote:Hi all
Hi Keith, nice vacation, or good times back !

IS IT POSSIBLE, THAT ?? - In session, (no report in crash files),
creating "new text" page -> sets all typing all in "UPPERCASE" ?

cheers all nice summer, from here in cloudy Paris ! very Cooooool !

check to see if you have it in screenplay text mode, I believe some of the elements convert your typing to all caps.

Spitfire31

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm Post

KB wrote:• Selected item in the binder now appears in bold so that the white doesn’t make it too difficult to read.

Thank you very much! Works just fine now!

Best,

Joey

mc
mcbend

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:36 pm Post

thank you janra
yes, correct, since I never use this feature, I tested it and left it turned on.
Sorry, Nice summer !

Jo
JohnRobt

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 am Post

Hi Keith,
Here is more about the footnote formatting problems that I mentioned regarding the previous beta.

First of all: Helvetica footnotes are gone. Yay! Thank you.

Other aspects of footnote formatting are still pretty odd in Scrivener 1.08b after draft export to Word 98 or NeoOffice.

To understand these conclusions, it’s important to recognize the difference I’m drawing between display and identify. Word may display the font correctly in the footnote text, following instructions in Scrivener, but Word’s font box in the tool bar often identifies the font as something different from what it displays. NeoOffice often displays what it identifies. For example, a Times regular footnote in Scrivener (based on export draft dialog settings) may display as Times regular in Word but be identified as Times-Italic in Word’s toolbar. In NO, the same footnote both displays and is identified as Times-Italic.

Font styles in body text: Putting italics in the body text causes Word to identify the footnote text as Times-Italic, even tho it displays it as roman. Word identifies the words in the footnote as Times-Italic but in the paragraph marker at the end of the footnote as Times-Roman. Similar with bold. Bold text in the body causes Word to identify the footnote text as Times-Bold but display it as roman. Underlined text does not cause this problem in Word, so my guess is that there is some problem translating between the display fonts like Times Roman with an italic or bold style added vs. the Postscript Times-Italic or Times-Bold font. (I’ve been out of touch with font issues in the last few years, so this hypothesis may be left over from System 9 days.)

Font styles in footnote text: Having an italic word in the footnote text produces strange results, too. If a different font (say Courier) is set for document titles in Draft Export and the titles are exported with the body text that is Times, Word makes the italic word in the footnote take the font of the document titles (Courier), even though it does make the word italic in that font. The non-italic portion of the footnote text remains Times.

Any hope for untangling this formatting for 1.09?

Thanks again for a great application.

John Robert

antony

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:50 am Post

John: The font substitution thing is odd, but the remainder of the font identification problems you're having may simply be Word's fault. I sometimes have similar problems in documents created entirely from scratch in Word, let alone imported docs.

Font implementation in Word is screwy at the best of times.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ba
bashosfrog

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:47 am Post

Love the new look of the binder. Class. But a bug seems to have crept in: you are now unable to select (highlight) the text in a binder heading by double-clicking or even Ctrl-A. Headings can only be replaced with another heading by using the delete key.

Matt
Last edited by bashosfrog on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

li
linn

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:27 am Post

Hello, Keith,
I think the Help file is tremendous because it includes your tips and discussons. One item that might help new users would be an image of the Project Statistics panel with a discussion of the options. I was puzzled by the Page Count options on the panel and references to "paperback." I did find out what it was about here in the forum. But, you know how it is when you go searching for answers in the L&L forum: you find 10 things you didn't realize you wanted to know and forget what started the quest in the first place. :wink:

Linn

Jo
JohnRobt

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 am Post

Hi Antony,
You wrote:
John: The font substitution thing is odd, but the remainder of the font identification problems you're having may simply be Word's fault.

I might have thought the same thing, but NeoOffice has similar formatting problems with Scrivener's footnotes. I didn't elaborate the NO issues as much in the post as Word, but they are parallel, if not exactly the same. That is, they lead me to conclude that the export content is the problem, not the interpretation by the importing program.

I don't have any other word processors at the moment to test it with. Seems like I had similar problems with Nisus Writer Pro beta, but I'm not remembering for sure.

Thanks,
John Robert