Scrivener 1.1 beta (1.07) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:51 pm Post

Hello all,

Right, now hopefully this really is the final 1.1 beta (I said that last time) and that all I have to do now is update the Help file. Here it is:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _1b107.dmg

This beta basically just fixes the bugs that arose in 1.06b. The changes between 1.06 and 1.07 can be found at the end of this post and also in the readme file; the full change list since 1.03 is way too long to post here, so please refer to the readme file on the DMG.

FYI, 1.1 is fully compatible with Leopard as of the latest (WWDC) Leopard seed. And very nice it looks, too.

Note that this version will update even projects created on 1.055b, as it now stores version information in a different way. (A problem in the past has been that older versions of Scrivener that encounter a .scriv file in a newer file format will mistake it for an older format and try to update it, thus corrupting it; it is too late for me to fix this in versions that are already out there, but as of this version, it won't try to update files created on future versions of Scrivener.)

I provide this beta so that users can test out new features and stability, to ensure that 1.1 is as solid as possible whilst I update the Help file. If you download this beta, please do help me out as follows:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.1 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

3) Remember it's a beta
All that means is that the Help file is out of date. The menus, especially, have been shifted around a little and so won't match the descriptions in the Help documentation. (If anyone has the time to take a look at the tutorial and e-mail me a list of what needs updating in the Tutorial, I would be grateful, as my priority will be the Help file itself for now.)

Enjoy!
Best,
Keith

Change list between 1.06 and 1.07
• Fixed bug whereby Edit Scrivenings commands in menu did not work.
• Added cmd-ctrl-T as keyboard shortcut for Typewriter Scrolling.
• Fixed bug whereby Backup Project To panel would not open because Scrivener was trying to use some methods not supported on Tiger.
• Moved “Re-capitalize Scriptâ€
Last edited by KB on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Lightning

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:32 am Post

The About Scrivener splash still shows the book and coffee cup as a mask.

(Magnificent!)

:D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

mc
mcbend

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:47 am Post

Hello,
still Crash on Project statistics, similar behaviour as previous,
(wondering if it may be due to filevault ?)

how is this, anybody to confirm ?

cheers and thank you again KB !

Ja
Jan

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:21 am Post

Gradient highlights in the binder now use the Highlight Color set in the Appearance pane of System Preferences as a basis. When the binder has the focus, the highlight strip is drawn as a gradient using this colour as its base; when it does not have the focus, this colour is mixed with grey and drawn as a gradient. Note that this is intentionally not consistent with the way Apple draw highlights in their newer source list applications, which always use a blue gradient regardless of your system settings. But hey, iTunes is different to everything, so I hope nobody minds too much me taking a liberty here…

I, for one, don't mind at all. Thanks and cheers :)

JH
JH

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:54 am Post

I have "Scroller type" set to "No scroller" in Full Screen prefs, yet I am still seeing a (normal Aqua) scroller in full screen. This is the first beta version I have used, but in the current official release, this had been working as expected.

ptram

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:16 am Post

JH wrote:I have "Scroller type" set to "No scroller" in Full Screen prefs, yet I am still seeing a (normal Aqua) scroller in full screen.

I confirm a grey line still appears where the scroller should be (... or not be). It is this way both with No Scroller or Auto-Hiding Scroller selected.
OSX 10.4.8 Italian.

Paolo
Last edited by ptram on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ja
JanT

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:03 am Post

I know this is not a bug - but unlike my namesake I do mind the new colour for gradient highlights in the binder. Is there any chance (or any trick) to get back the wonderful blue of 1.06? Of course, if this is not an option, I´ll try to get used to "Blood on the Binder" or I´ll reconsider my ten-year-old choice of red for highlighting text and probably smash the distinction between choosing text and choosing elements - actually, this distinction has always been quite arbitrary (at least when it comes to scrivenings :) ).

(To keep this short, my general praise is to be found in the feedback section. I absolutely love this program.)

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:37 am Post

still Crash on Project statistics, similar behaviour as previous,
(wondering if it may be due to filevault ?)

This really should not have happened since 1.04. Please, please, whenever posting a crash report follow the procedure and post the exact steps to reproduce along with the crash report (the sticky post in the Bug Hunt forum tells you how to get to the crash report if you don't know). It makes my life a lot easier if I don't have to ask every time. :)

The About Scrivener splash still shows the book and coffee cup as a mask.

That is a bug caused by me changing it in Photoshop and making it like that intentionally. :roll:

I'll look at the full screen scroller thing.

Best,
Keith

Ja
Jan

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:19 pm Post

JanT wrote:I know this is not a bug - but unlike my namesake I do mind the new colour for gradient highlights in the binder. Is there any chance (or any trick) to get back the wonderful blue of 1.06? Of course, if this is not an option, I´ll try to get used to "Blood on the Binder" or I´ll reconsider my ten-year-old choice of red for highlighting text and probably smash the distinction between choosing text and choosing elements - actually, this distinction has always been quite arbitrary (at least when it comes to scrivenings :) ).

In case people think that this Jan from Berlin is just one guy who thought this forum would be a good place to act out his schizophrenia, be assured that there are at least as many Jans in Berlin as there are Johns in London :)

As for the Binder highlight color, I can see a problem with the new behavior if your highlight color of choice is red. (Unless the title of your next novel is "redruM" ...)
In iTunes, the highlight color in the source list is based on the system appearance color (Graphite or Blue), not on the color for highlighting text. I didn't notice the difference in the way iTunes and the latest Scrivener beta handle these system-wide preferences because my text highlight color is also graphite.

I'm glad that Keith chose to use the system settings for drawing highlights in the Binder, because I hate that squeaky-blue Toys'R'Us look of the default system appearance. But I think it would be better if Scrivener followed iTunes more closely and used the system appearance color instead of the highlight color. Graphite system appearance = graphite highlights; blue system appearance = blue highlights.

--
(Please note that I used American spelling to differentiate myself from my alter ego; though I'm afraid his posts will receive preferential treatment from the headmaster for adhering to these weird British spelling rules :))

Ro
Robert

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:20 pm Post

This one is rock solid for me (ibook g4, os 10.4.10). The keyboard shortcuts for scrivenings are especially nice.

Great work.
Robert Blade

Spitfire31

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:49 pm Post

KB wrote:• Gradient highlights in the binder now use the Highlight Color set in the Appearance pane of System Preferences as a basis. When the binder has the focus, the highlight strip is drawn as a gradient using this colour as its base; when it does not have the focus, this colour is mixed with grey and drawn as a gradient.

I am all for using the System Prefs colour for highlighting – thank you very much! I hate that mandatory baby blue...

However.

I don't think the gradient concept is very practical from an ergonomic POW. It looks cool for sure, but at least on my system, whatever highlight colour I select, the highlighted binder text is always white! Very difficult to read and an invitation to eyestrain, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Joey

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:15 am Post

I'll add a preference for the binder selection to be blue/graphite or to use selection colour.
Best,
Keith

Pr
PrimitiveWorker

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:08 am Post

Fullscreen mode edit scrivenings "please wait" glitch with intermittent crash.

To reproduce the glitch:
  • Start an Edit Scrivenings session.
  • Switch to fullscreen mode.
  • Type in the bottom-most file.
  • Command-n to create a new file.
  • Observe the "Loading text.../Please wait.../grey swirly" dialogue box
  • To crash, continue typing small amounts and command-n'ing new files, periodically toggle fullscreen.

The only thing that shows up in the console besides the notification of a crash:
/Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context

I also get a perfectly normal scroller widget when "no scroller" is selected. But the auto-hiding scroller works fine.

ptram

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 am Post

KB wrote:I'll look at the full screen scroller thing.

Eeek! The Auto-Hide Scroller option now seems to work again (after restarting Scrivener). The Scroller option still shows a white space that shouldn't be there.

Paolo

ma
matt

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:03 am Post

Hi Keith,
As with mcbend above, I also experienced a crash with the project statistics.

In case it matters, this is the first time I have downloaded a beta, so the scrivener project I am using was converted directly from the previous release version to match this beta. Before the crash, I converted the project file and was more or less exploring the new menu items and preferences, and then clicked on Project Settings. It beach-balled me for quite a while, and then crashed.

Console showed up the following:

2007-07-30 19:02:49.201 Scrivener[397] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<SCRSearchResultsController: 0xcdab030>[object class: SCRBinderDocument, number of selected objects: 0]). Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:
Jul 30 19:03:26 matthew-tobins-computer /Applications/Creative/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context
Jul 30 19:31:25 matthew-tobins-computer /Applications/Creative/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context
Jul 30 19:31:26 matthew-tobins-computer /Applications/Creative/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context
Jul 30 19:31:27 matthew-tobins-computer /Applications/Creative/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context
Jul 30 19:31:28 matthew-tobins-computer /Applications/Creative/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener: CGContextSetStyle: invalid context
Jul 30 19:34:53 matthew-tobins-computer crashdump[409]: Scrivener crashed
Jul 30 19:34:54 matthew-tobins-computer crashdump[409]: crash report written to: /Users/Matt/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Scrivener.crash.log

I know the first NSTableView is irrelevant, and I left my computer for a while. I would say the alerts from 19:31 onwards most likely correlate to when the hang began.

I have also attached the Crash Log (Keith - if you have control over the allowed extensions, you might want to add .log so that crash reports don't need to be renamed to .txt).

Happy bug hunting! If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks,
Matt
Attachments
Scrivener.crash.log.txt
(77.2 KiB) Downloaded 186 times