Scrivener 1.1 beta (1.06) public beta now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:44 pm Post

Hello all,

Right, now hopefully this is the final 1.1 beta (I wish) and that all I have to do now is update the Help file. Here it is:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... _1b106.dmg

The change list is way too long to post here, so please refer to the readme file on the DMG for what has changed.

FYI, 1.1 is fully compatible with Leopard as of the latest (WWDC) Leopard seed. And very nice it looks, too.

Note that this version will update even projects created on 1.055b, as it now stores version information in a different way. (A problem in the past has been that older versions of Scrivener that encounter a .scriv file in a newer file format will mistake it for an older format and try to update it, thus corrupting it; it is too late for me to fix this in versions that are already out there, but as of this version, it won't try to update files created on future versions of Scrivener.)

I provide this beta so that users can test out new features and stability, to ensure that 1.1 is as solid as possible whilst I update the Help file. If you download this beta, please do help me out as follows:

1) Whilst using the beta, try to have Console.app open at the same time
As soon as anything strange happens in the beta, have a look at the log in Console.app. Anything strange should appear in bold. Let me know if anything strange does happen and copy and paste the log for me to see. This is often invaluable.

2) Post anything related to the beta HERE, not anywhere else on the forum
Please post bug reports or anything else related to the 1.1 beta as a reply to this thread. (Only moderators can create new topics in the Beta Testing forum because I don't want it getting clogged up with individual bug reports - hence reports should be posted as replies.)

3) Remember it's a beta
All that means is that the Help file is out of date. The menus, especially, have been shifted around a little and so won't match the descriptions in the Help documentation. (If anyone has the time to take a look at the tutorial and e-mail me a list of what needs updating in the Tutorial, I would be grateful, as my priority will be the Help file itself for now.)

Enjoy!
Best,
Keith
Last edited by KB on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

su
suavito

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:27 pm Post

I opened and converted an old project with the new version.

Console.app says (not in bold):
2007-07-24 19:24:22.986 Scrivener[277] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<SCRSearchResultsController: 0xcd23080>[object class: SCRBinderDocument, number of selected objects: 0]). Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:

Beside from this message nothing happened that's not suppose to happen. The project gets displayed as before, in this case the research folder (containing a number of pictures) in corkboard view.

EDIT: This is not about the conversion, this happens every time I open this project.
Last edited by suavito on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tried working once. It didn’t work out. Too much like work.
John Steed

je
jean-louis

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:54 pm Post

Everything is ok for me during conversion.
A little(so tiny!):
in menu
view/PDF display/

"Size to fit" becomes "Auto Size" in contextual menu (right-click on the PDF).

Bravissimo as always...
jeanlouis

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 pm Post

Anyone else having problems getting Edit Scrivenings to work with the keyboard shortcuts, or is it just me? The toolbar button works, but menu commands (and thus keyboard) are always disabled.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AmberV

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:15 pm Post

Console.app wrote:2007-07-24 11:13:21.926 Scrivener[5304] *** -[NSCFString stringByReplacingOccurrencesOfString:withString:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x8276a40]

This error appears in Console when attempting to use Backup Project To.... The menu flickers, so the command is registering, but no dialogue box appears. No crash; just failure to open dialogue.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm Post

suavito - Thanks for having the Console open! That one is harmless though. It's actually a Tiger bug whereby it issues a warning that has not been needed since Panther. It's gone on Leopard. It can safely be ignored as it has no effect whatsoever and you'll see it in some other programs, too.

AmberV - good catch. Looks like I forgot to reconnect part of the menu after moving it to its new location. If you get chance to check out the rest of the moved menus, that would be great - I thought I'd checked them all.

Best,
Keith

AmberV

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:25 pm Post

KB wrote:Arbitrary corkboards are now saved between sessions. You can also now drag items around and into an arbitrary corkboard, thus allowing you to try out new orderings before committing to them. (An arbitrary corkboard is created by selecting multiple items in the binder.)

Well done by the way! I'm assuming the correct way to commit changes is to simply drag all the cards back into the original container? Is there a safer way to do this?
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:31 pm Post

KB wrote:If you get chance to check out the rest of the moved menus, that would be great - I thought I'd checked them all.

Everything else looks like it is enabling and disabling appropriately.
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 pm Post

In the About box, is the new L&L logo supposed to look like a cut-out of the old logo?
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:41 pm Post

Yes. :)

And holy crap, I've used that Leopard-only method everywhere. I can't believe that wasn't in earlier versions of the OS. And I can't believe I've used it so much without realising - that must have been in 1.055b, too. You can bet there is going to be an update to fix that this evening or tomorrow...

EDIT: I've just realised how this happened. Pre-Leopard I wrote my own method with much the same name that gave this functionality. The same method has now become part of Leopard and there is another similar one, too, and I didn't notice and started using both. I just need to provide the other one on my own for Tiger users... Hopefully should be an easy fix...

Best,
Keith

al
albertsen

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:02 pm Post

KB wrote:And holy crap, I've used that Leopard-only method everywhere

(emphasis by me)

Be careful what you're writing, you might be breaching your NDA :-)

I, too, have the Console open and noticed this one:

2007-07-24 20:41:29.059 Scrivener[522] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSCFString characterAtIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds

I don't know when that happed, sorry. I was just editing a document, sometimes in full screen mode, sometimes not.

Ti
Timotheus

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm Post

To be honest, I find the "About Scrivener" window of version 1.055b nicer than that of the present version. It has more depth, more detail, it looks sharper. But de gustibus …
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 pm Post

albertsen - when did you see that exception? Looks like a bug but I can't fix it without knowing where it occurred.

Best,
Keith

al
albertsen

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm Post

Sorry, Keith, but I just had the Console running in the background. When I came back to it the log entry was already a couple of minutes old and I couldn't remember what exactly I was doing at that time.

I didn't notice any strange behaviour in the application, so it probably doesn't have any side-effect. I will keep my eyes open, though.

al
albertsen

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 pm Post

Keith, the above bug occured to me again. I wanted to rename one of the characters in my story. So I used "Replace all" in the find dialog. I then could not decide whether to use the old or the new name, so I used the find dialog a couple of times with both names. After three times the exception occured in the Console (and Scirvener actually did not replace anything), and when then I closed the project Scrivener crashed. I have attached the backtrace.

I have tried to reproduce this behaviour with a fresh project but without success.

EDIT: I can reproduce it with the same project. Actually, after three times I cannot do a "find & replace" at all and the exception occurs again and again.
Attachments
Scrivener Crash.txt
(21.73 KiB) Downloaded 175 times