Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm Post

I can reproduce a crash with the beta on Yosemite thusly:

1. Create new blank project
2. Create second blank project
3. In second project, select the Draft folder to load it in group view mode
4. Click the collections button to view collections
5. Close the project
Result: Crash!

I didn't get the crash when I tested on my regular 10.9.4 setup. Yosemite is just for testing, so it's pretty basic right now without much installed. Anyone else seeing this?

I too have gotten a few crashes-on-close recently in the beta. I've been getting that on and off for a while though, prior to the beta, and I think I have one project in particular that is set up in some way that triggers the bug, but of course it's the project I've always got open and am doing lots of work in. I thought I'd tracked down the problem once to reproduce with new projects, but I was the only one able to reliably reproduce it (even in a new test account) so I decided my computer might be haunted. I need to set up a new test account on a different computer and try out the steps with the beta. If it's still crashing for me with that, I'll post the steps here and maybe someone else can confirm or deny.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

he
hestenet
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 am Post

This is a bug that exists both in the latest beta, and in current production.

The "Custom Page View" option which exists in preferences cannot actually be enabled any more under the View menu. This has been broken since 2.5 release.

Cross-posting here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28713

Applies to: Current production release, as well as Beta 2.5.5 Build 25316

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:27 am Post

Thanks, that’s a good point. The feature was in fact removed in 2.5, that was the intention. It was just deemed to be a bit superfluous by adding a whole lot of preference complexity for something not frequently used. Most people just want their paper size that comes out of the printer, or aren’t bothered by set the dimensions to the project's print paper size, using the File menu, if they want to work in something unusual on screen (keep in mind you can decouple compile settings from print settings, and set Page View to use either—so in effect we had three paper size settings with the custom Page View settings. It was just overkill). The mistake was that the preferences were left in. I’m not sure what the solution will be for 2.6. Keith may update in a few days.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

he
hestenet

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:53 am Post

When I first reported the bug in October 2013 (through the Tender system I guess it was?). Jeff said that the removal was an oversight and it'd be restored in the next version.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that won't be the case. I for one used it extensively, and if it's already coded out... but I'm sure you're assigning resources as best you can. I'll survive.

as
asotir

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am Post

I have been working on PDFs for some CreateSpace editions, using LyX/LaTeX to generate them. Preview is giving me no problems.

- asotir

Ki
Kinsey

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:I too have gotten a few crashes-on-close recently in the beta. I've been getting that on and off for a while though, prior to the beta, and I think I have one project in particular that is set up in some way that triggers the bug, but of course it's the project I've always got open and am doing lots of work in. I thought I'd tracked down the problem once to reproduce with new projects, but I was the only one able to reliably reproduce it (even in a new test account) so I decided my computer might be haunted. I need to set up a new test account on a different computer and try out the steps with the beta. If it's still crashing for me with that, I'll post the steps here and maybe someone else can confirm or deny.

I should say up front that I'm not using the beta, but saw Amber and MM discuss crash on close. I've encountered the same problem on several occasions this year, including almost every time I closed Scriv over a four week period (see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26415).

The problem went away of its own accord for months but I just experienced it again, and another user is experiencing the same issue.

The crash always happens on project close, usually when more than one project is open. Other than that I have not been able to identify any specific triggers. App Nap was suggested to me as a possible issue, but it's not the cause. I'm bringing it up here because the other thread is pretty dead and this does not appear to be a beta specific problem. If I have any further crashes I'll try to figure out causes and post them here.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:__________________________________________________________________________________________
I can reproduce a crash with the beta on Yosemite thusly:

5. Close the project

I can reproduce that crash as well with default settings. Something in there might explain why I come across this frequently, as I tend to have several projects open, and nearly always one of them will have a collections view enabled. I’ll keep an eye on the UI settings for projects that I have open for a bit and see if this pattern matches all of the cases I see.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:06 pm Post

Regarding the bug whereby the page view background is rendered in black, I have traced this to a bug in Yosemite and reported it to Apple as bug ID #18193625. Please use Feedback Assistant in Yosemite to let Apple know that you are seeing a bug in Yosemite whereby the background of a page view doesn't draw properly in Scrivener, and that the developer has let you know that it's a Yosemite bug he has reported as bug ID #18193625 - hopefully the more people that report it, the better chance it has of being fixed before Yosemite is actually released. I have a workaround I can use, but I don't want to use it unless absolutely necessary because it involves doing my own background drawing for the scroll view rather than using Apple's code (essentially Apple's code isn't being called because of the 10.10 bug), and that might not be as reliable since I think Apple does more magic in the background drawing of scroll views than I know about.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:I can reproduce a crash with the beta on Yosemite thusly:

5. Close the project

Found and fixed, thanks.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Be
Benjamine

Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:00 pm Post

Keith,

Fullscreen + use 2nd screen in compostion mode on 10.9

This issue is still present in 2.5.5 in both Mavericks and Yosemite:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24938

Basically, if you open Scrivener in fullscreeen on the secondary display -- in my case, my laptop display -- and tick "Use secondary screen if available" in composition mode settings, when you exit composition mode and then exit fullscreen, the menubar disappears when Scrivener is the active window on either display.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:40 pm Post

Hi Benjamine,

That is still on my list for investigating, but I'm afraid it's a little way down the list (there's a lot of work been going on in the background and still lots more to do!).

All the best,
Keith

Be
Benjamine

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi Benjamine,

That is still on my list for investigating, but I'm afraid it's a little way down the list (there's a lot of work been going on in the background and still lots more to do!).

All the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't forgotten! It's an odd bug. Sometimes it doesn't happen but unfortunately when I doesn't, I can't remember what I did differently!

nontroppo

Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 am Post

I had posted the page mode graphics glitch (and your bug report number) to Apple as well. Sadly though it still seems to be present in the GM...

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:05 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:I had posted the page mode graphics glitch (and your bug report number) to Apple as well. Sadly though it still seems to be present in the GM...

Ugh, colour me unsurprised - there's a whole list of bugs I've filed with Apple during Yosemite's beta period, many of them serious, and only two or three of them (mostly the easy, cosmetic ones) have actually been addressed. Fortunately, I have a workaround in place for the page view background bugs (although I still need to test and make sure it's still working on the GM, which I've only just downloaded).

The bug whereby text goes off screen when you resize a split view and are working on a Retina display was one that Apple told me was fixed, but it turned out to still be glitchy. I need to check to see if that is fixed in the GM, but my hopes aren't high - the same bug existed all through Mountain Lion, got fixed for Mavericks, and is now broken again for Yosemite.

I really wish that Apple would separate iOS and Mac OS X releases - if they are going to do iOS updates in the autumn, I wish they'd do OS X updates in the Spring. The same thing happens *every* time. They show off an amazing update at WWDC and put it into beta with developers. I report a billion bugs to them. Then they release iOS and pull all of their developers off OS X to work on fixing up iOS, and release OS X before they've had a chance to address all that needs addressing. Such a shame, as I had really high hopes for Yosemite given how much work they have clearly put into it.

nontroppo

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 am Post

Thanks for all your hard, behind the scenes, OS apple bug battling. Indeed this joint iOS / OS X release timeframe makes little sense...

I often work in split view and resize, I notice the invisibles are sometimes lost but my text seems OK (rMBP). Not sure if that means its fixed or just I can't trigger that bug.

Will the page workaround affect the non-paged mode? As I still see quite a lot of performance issues (context menu speed and scrolling smoothness) in Yosemite, I hope the non-apple solution doesn't affect my normal view.