Beta Bugs - Post Them Here

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 am Post

Please post any bugs you find in the beta as a reply to this thread (it is fine to post them in the Bug Hunt forum, too, but please read the note below before doing so). Before posting, please ensure that you are using the latest beta. Please also ensure that you only post bug reports here (not feature suggestions, unless it is an enhancement idea for a feature that only appears in the latest beta, in which case it is fine to post it here).

It is fine to post beta bugs in the Bug Hunt forum, instead, but if you do that, please ensure that you specify that you are using the latest beta, including the version and build number.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am Post

Hi, I have just realised that in the full-screen setting when the user tries to create a Scrivener link through the shortcut cmd+L, the Scrivener-link window opens in full-screen, as well. This therefore creates a conflict between the main full-screen window of Scrivener and the latter. Hope it might help.
Alfredo
Last edited by alfredo.mazzamauro on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm Post

Hi,

Thanks for the bug report. I can't reproduce this, though - when I create a new link in full screen mode, it opens in a normal, non-full-screen panel.

Are you on OS X 10.7 or 10.8 (I've only tried on Mountain Lion)? Are there any other specific steps I need to take to reproduce this?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm Post

I am working on Mountain Lion and testing the 22136 beta version of Scrivener. I have just tried again after having restarted Scrivener and the bug is still there. Basically, I select a word I want to link to an internal item. I click on cmd+l and it opens a full-screen window in which i can actually select what to link to the selected word. A part from the fact that it should open a normal window, this window messes up the full-screen setting of the main window. Let me know if you need more information.
Best,
Alfredo

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:45 pm Post

That's exactly what I'm doing, and I'm not seeing the bug. Here is what I have done:

1. On Mountain Lion, enter full screen by clicking in the arrows in the top-right of the toolbar in Scrivener.

2. Select a word.

3. Hit Opt-Cm-L to bring up the "New Link" panel.

Everything appears as it should, so there must be some other factor specific to the options you have selected in Scrivener (perhaps a particular preference). Could you please post a screenshot showing the bug?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm Post

Okay, this is the screenshot that shows which setting I start from:

http://mazzamauro.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/screen-shot-2013-01-22-at-4-18-02-pm.png

And this shows what it opens when I click cmd+l (not, as you wrote, opt+cmd+l):

http://mazzamauro.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/screen-shot-2013-01-22-at-4-04-56-pm.png

Hope it might help.
Best,
Alfredo

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm Post

*Very* weird. I did indeed mean Cmd-L, and I am not seeing that behaviour at all. The panel shouldn't even be *capable* of going full screen, seeing as it doesn't have its flags set to be full screen window.

The window is resizable, though - what happens if you drag the corner of it to make it as small as possible, then try again? Does that fix the issue, or does it continue to get resized?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm Post

Thanks Keith.
Unfortunately, if I resize the window, it stays resized till I quit Scrivener. As I open it again, it does what the following video shows. Try to see if you can figure out what's wrong from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaU8OusGedw&noredirect=1

Best,
Alfredo

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am Post

Very strange - I cannot reproduce this at all, and I've checked the interface file for the new links window, and it definitely is set not to support full screen:

That means that the window shouldn't be capable of going full screen at all. Do you have any apps or plugins installed that allow other windows to go full screen? I'm wondering if there is another factor on your machine at play...

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am Post

The only app installed in my device related to screen controls is rightzoom but it doesn't allow to go full-screen, thought. I have no idea about other possible explanations. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
Best,
Alfredo

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 am Post

Try deactivating RightZoom and then log out and log in again - does that make any difference?
Thanks,
Keith

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm Post

No, it doesn't. I think it is quite a bug of Scrivener and it doesn't depend on a specific setting of my device. Try to restart your device, start scrivener and switch straight to the full-screen setting. Once Scrivener is in full-screen, click on cmd+l, what does it happen?
Best,
Alfredo

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 pm Post

Hi Alredo,

That's the thing, I have done exactly that, several times, and on more than one machine, and I never see this behaviour. And I've checked the settings in the code and interface, and they are all correct as far as I can see - OS X shouldn't allow that window to go full screen. It's very strange. I'll ask others on the team to see if they can reproduce it at all.

All the best,
Keith

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am Post

Hi Keith,
My problem is still there, I was wondering whether there is a way to send you a list of all the apps installed in my mac (maybe generated through the terminal) and a report of other useful configuration in order to to help you to figure out what is that causes me that annoying problem.
Let me know. Thanks a lot.
Best,
Alfredo

al
alfredo.mazzamauro

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:57 am Post

Okay, I tried to restart my device in Safe mode and effectively Scrivener works fine. So it depends either on right zoom or window tidy (another app installed in my device for the management of windows). For the moment I have disabled both and Scrivener works fine. Now I am trying to figure out which one is in fact the app that creates conflicts with Scrivener in full-screen (and I suppose also with other apps such as Zotero). Thanks a lot for your help.
Alfredo