Typewriter scrolling

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:53 pm Post

Today I have been trying to get "Typewriter Scrolling" to work, as it is going to be an optional setting in Scrivener 1.0. I think I have cracked it, but would welcome your opinions.

Here is a very simple demo app:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/downl ... ngTest.zip

Once there is enough text to fill half of the text view, whenever you type, the edited line will stay at the centre. This is pretty much the same as Ulysses' implementation, except that typewriter scrolling works even if you are at the end of the document (although I believe Ulysses are adding that to 1.5, too).

Let me know what you think.

alexwein

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:53 pm Post

That's pretty cool. I have to admit I had no clue what the heck 'typewriter scrolling' was! So the idea is to keep the edited line at about eye level. Like a typewriter. Ahem, yeah, I figured that was it....;-)

Well, it seems to work. I assume this will be optional, yes, you said it would be. Is this to work on full screen view, regular views, both?

Personally, for full screen, I think I'd rather have the ability to set margins around my text, but have it full page. I generally need to see as much text as possible at one time when I'm working. I'm always pushing my page views to the max of what I can have on the screen.

BUT, the feature seems to work as you need it to. The text definitely stays in the middle of the text view. Even at the end of the doc. It's an interesting idea. I'd probably play with it to see if I liked it.

Alexandria

PS Just finished reading through some of the Typewriter Emulator thread to get more of a feel for what this is about. I grew up with typewriters and started college with one. I have to say that I do love the feel, sound, and even the smell of old typewriters (can you find a way to emulate that??), but I was thrilled when computers and word processors came along. I found that typewriters could never keep up with my thoughts, and the tedium of having to cut and paste (literally)—or worse yet having to retype an entire page—when I'd find an error in what was supposed to be a finished product, well, THAT I surely don't miss.

I don't use typewriters at all any longer and it would never have occurred to me to do so. Still don't think I would. When I need to break from the computer and loosen up my creative juices, it's 'real' writing that I turn to—that magical connection of mind, hand, pen and paper (though with my handwriting, word processors have been even more of a blessing! Sometimes even I can't read what I've written!!).

But it's an interesting discussion nevertheless! I haven't even thought about typewriters in ages—pretty much since I bought my first Mac in 1985!

Eiron

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:32 pm Post

Fancy seeing you here, Alex. Guess we're both still on the grail quest for the perfect writing app and while DT has my loyalty storagewise, I'm beginning to despair them ever seeing outlining and writing as a priority. So here we are.

Anyways I agree with you re the typewriter- seems fairly cool and I too haven't touched one since 1985.

Just one thing, I'd much rather see the line/platen spring up when I hit return rather than when first typing on the new line. Otherwise, I would probably use this. An optional grrrind/kerching sound would be cool too.

bobm

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:14 pm Post

I definitely like this feature and the demo works well. As is would certainly be fine if it worked in both normal and full screen modes. Even better if you could specifiy the focus location on screen, even to a few set positions (top third, middle, bottom third).

alexwein

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:17 pm Post

Hi Eiron,

Yes, there seems to be a group of us looking for that Holy Grail! I see many of us folks popping up on the Hog Bay forums, Journler, here. I totally agree about DT. I love that program and no longer could work without it. All my material gathering, research work, and much of my idea development happens there. But it's no writing program. I tried, but I find myself frustrated and looking for things it just doesn't have.

I can understand Devon's position, I suppose. They have their hands full developing the program according to their own vision—and what it can do, wow! I suspect there will someday be better outlining and writing features, but never at the level of something that is from the ground up designed to be a writing program.

So, as you say, here we are! This Scrivener intrigues me! Dare I hope...again....?

Anyway, nice to see you here, Eiron!

Alexandria

sh
shorn

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:23 pm Post

Like Alexandria, I am not sure if I would use it or not, but I would definitely try it out if it is a preference.

It does seem to work fine.

Cheers,
Simon

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:56 pm Post

Thanks for the replies. This is going to be completely optional via preferences (separate options for normal and full screen). It is one of those things that a lot of users ask for having used it in Ulysses, and a lot of other users will never use...

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:37 am Post

This is excellent. It's the only thing I've been missing in Scrivener — and why I moved to Ulysses to do the actual writing.

As soon as you implement it, I guess I won't need any other programs. I can outline, store my research, and write in one place.

Lord Lightning

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 pm Post

Lordy me! You are a clever lad KB. Bet your mum is proud of you.

I think it is an essential idea. I would use it for almost everything. It makes Scrivener quite exclusive. It just makes writing - particularly free flow stuff - very fluid indeed. The space below urges you to fill it. The text above says you are doing pretty good so far. It's as much a mental as a technical thing. I actually find it motivational.

I think bobm has a suggestion worth taking on board regarding the focus position on the page.

This is getting better all the time.

Splendid!
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:31 pm Post

Lord Lightning wrote:It makes Scrivener quite exclusive.

Well, I can't quite claim the idea as my own. :) Blue-Tec's Ulysses already has typewriter scrolling - I nabbed it from them because a lot of users have requested it and I like it myself. Glad you like it, though.

Lord Lightning

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:44 pm Post

Yes, but your version is tailored to the job. I have used Ulysses and find it a bit like taking out a battleship to sail down the river. Gets you there, but it's a devil to steer and it is really a bit unwieldy and klunky for my liking.

I found Scrivener Gold released me from the technology and focused me on the writing. It just seems all so clear and sensible at first site... and, it works. I served two terms as President of the Australian Writers Guild and I only wish I had access to Scrivener when I was in office and people kept asking me what software I thought was most useful.

As far as I am concerned: Scrivener 5 stars, Ulysses 3.5 stars. I'm not knocking Ulysses at all. I just find Scrivener to be much more easy and friendly to use. Most people would say Ulysses is excellent. Well Scrivener is better. So KB, I think the work you are doing on this app for writers is truly groundbreaking - and it is sooo appreciated.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Ma
Maria

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:36 pm Post

del
Last edited by Maria on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ch
chrisbunch

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 am Post

The typewriter scrolling feature in full page view is excellent, especially as I am fortunate in having a 30in Cinema Display.

A minor gripe though is that the cursor/text entry position for a blank page is at the top of the page: centering it vertically only happens when one has typed sufficient text to fill the top half--or am I missing a setting somewhere?

em

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:50 am Post

Sorry if this is elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

Typewriter Scrolling - is there a setting in preferences or a way to globally apply? I love it and want to use it everywhere. :)

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:28 pm Post

Lol. It used to be a preference, but it got moved to an individual setting after many user requests. :)

What you can do is just set up a new project template that has typewriter scrolling set to on for both editors. That way it will be on by default for new projects you create using that template.

Best,
Keith