Beta 2.2.0.5 Issues With Compile - Font Size and Margins

Gi
GillyGx
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm Post

Just when you thought it was safe to go back and compile ...

Had this all working beautifully. Upgraded to Beta to enable file level section titles in headers for a Word compile and now I have a bigger problem.

When I compile for PDF the printout is enormous. My margins are set to 1" but on the PDF/Paper they're 2".

My font is set to TNR 12pt but on PDF/paper they're more like 16pt. My headers are set to 9pt but on PDF/Paper they're more like 14pt.

The result is that one chapter takes up three times the paper it used to!

I tried compiling for Word and it looks just the same - huge on the page. But here's where the fun really begins. If you select the text in the compiled file in Word, word will tell you the text *is* 12pt TNR. But this is all that will fit on one line:

"screaming and banging the walls; on and on it"

If you open a new document in Word with the same 1" margins and type the same sentence in TNR 12pt, this is what fits on a line:

"screaming and banging the walls; on and on it went, fraying her nerves. She put her hands up"

Confused? I know I am! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gilly

kewms

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 pm Post

Two compile options to check:

File -> Compile -> Formatting: Make sure the "override text and notes formatting" box is *not* checked. That will make sure that the Compile uses the same font settings you see on the screen.

File -> Compile -> Page Settings: Make sure the page settings are what you want, which will usually mean the "use the project Page Setup settings" box should be checked.

Also, just to confirm, everything was working fine until you installed the beta? If so, it may be a beta bug, possibly having to do with the new file format converters.

(And I'm going to move this thread to the beta forum.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Gi
GillyGx

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm Post

Hi Katherine,

Didn't check for a beta forum - thanks!

Yes, have checked both those items and all formatted as it should be. Compile working beautifully before. Upgrade only change.

Will downgrade to take the urgency off this.

Thanks so much.
Gilly

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 am Post

In "Print Settings" in Compile, what "Layout Type" is selected when you export to PDF, "Publishing" or "Proofing"? Try "Publishing" if that isn't selected. And what format are you using to export to Word? Try exporting to RTF if you haven't tried that already. Please feel free to zip up and send me the project for testing...
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Gi
GillyGx

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:31 am Post

Hi Keith!

Do you ever sleep?!

I tried both publishing and proofing, results the same. .doc format for Word. Haven't tried .rtf, but will do that.

And sure, can zip and send the project when I get out of bed, which it's surely where you should be!? :D

Thanks!
Gilly