Scrivener Beta 1.05bb: Keyword Organizational Path Included

kulturhack

Tue May 22, 2007 1:30 pm Post

Apologies in advance if this is an ongoing glitch--but it's nothing I remember.

In Beta 1.05bb, when dragging a keyword from the HUD pallette, its entire organizational path appears in the keyword pane of the the inspector.

In short: If I've further organized my keywords hierarchically, and I have a keyword nestled, say two levels down the hierarchy, the parent and sibling categoy levels are also inserted into the keyword pane along with the keyword itself--just like a file path.

Very annoying as I've got a hyper-organized HUD pallette. I'm pretty certain this was not a problem earlier, or I wouldn't have spent the time to organize the keywords in the first place.

Kevin
"When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn pro."
--Hunter S Thompson

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm Post

As requested in the beta testing forum, please do keep posts related to the beta relegated to the beta testing thread - I want to avoid confusion for those not using the beta. I am thus moving this to the beta-testing thread.

Moreover, this is not a bug. Please do take the time to read the release notes:

- When dragging from the keywords HUD to a document, not only the dragged keyword will be applied to the document but also all of its ancestors. In other words, if there is a keyword in the HUD with the hierarchy Locations > Cities > London, and you dragged London into your document, Locations and Cities would also be applied. So that you don’t end up with lots of duplicate entries in your keywords panel resulting from this behaviour, a keyword will now only be assigned to a document if the document does not already have that keyword assigned. When dragging into the inspector, if the keyword already exists, it will just be moved to the drop location rather than copied there.

Now, I could add a preference to decide this behaviour - a lot of users requested the above behaviour.

All the best,
Keith

kulturhack

Tue May 22, 2007 6:09 pm Post

Hi Keith:

Sorry for posting to the incorrect forum.

Yes, please--please add my vote to a preference that would enable me to grab a keyword minus it's attendant category (ies).

For the record, it never occurred to me to group in terms of an esoteric family of related keywords--something the current behavior seems to aid. I have topical groups of keywords--"Sections of Novel," "Locations," "Characters"--that sort of thing--to keep the same sort of keywords from being stewn alphabetically across the list.

With the current behavior, not only do I get "Vancouver," but also "Locations." It's not even an added-value alternate search, because basically each aspect has a location--or characters or is in some fashion a section of the book.

While my needs with regard to most software is idiosyncratic enough that I never see myself as a Typical User, I do think I'm probably using the abiltiy to categorize keywords like a majority of your user base.

You might consider not only adding a preference for keyword-without-category, but also making *it* the default setting.

Kevin

--Hunter S Thompson

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 pm Post

If possible, would a drag modifier be preferable to a preference? I agree with the original poster, the default should be keyword alone (this is the most intuitive action); and perhaps with an option (or something) drag, it would bring along the ancestors for the ride.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

kulturhack

Tue May 22, 2007 7:10 pm Post

Hi Keith:

I just retraced my steps, trying to work out how I earlier mis-posted and was reminded that the Beta Testing forum is locked to everyone but moderators. Sorry for being slow on the uptake--it's been a long day of seemingly edit-resistant writing. <g>

Anyway, that's how I ended up in the Bugs forum. From my end, Beta Testing remains locked in term of creating new posts. So you might see other "refugees" cropping up in Bugs . . .

Kevin

--Hunter S Thompson

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue May 22, 2007 7:23 pm Post

kulturhack wrote:Hi Keith:

I just retraced my steps, trying to work out how I earlier mis-posted and was reminded that the Beta Testing forum is locked to everyone but moderators. Sorry for being slow on the uptake--it's been a long day of seemingly edit-resistant writing. <g>

Anyway, that's how I ended up in the Bugs forum. From my end, Beta Testing remains locked in term of creating new posts. So you might see other "refugees" cropping up in Bugs . . .

Kevin

Um, yes, that was kind of the point. I locked it so that users didn't start a new thread for every single beta issue. I think I was fairly clear in the announcement of the new beta - I even emboldened it:

KB wrote:As before, please do keep bug reports and feedback related to this beta in this thread rather than posting on the main forum. It makes it easier for me to track beta-specific issues, and it also avoids confusing users of the forum who have not downloaded the beta.

i.e. All you needed to do was hit the Reply button. :)