Scrivener 1.1 (1.055b) Public Beta - new and updated (AGAIN)

po
polymathic

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:34 pm Post

BTW, when is the final 1.1 coming out? The last beta is working rather well for quite some time.... :)

br
brianjeppesen

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:34 pm Post

Just curious... When will we see a new beta implementing the stuff in the new stable release (e.g. project word count progress)?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 pm Post

Right now I am waiting for Apple to release the Leopard beta (the one that was given to WWDC attendees) to us ADC members who have paid for the Leopard Early Start Kit and who are thus entitled to the latest beta but have yet to receive it. See my blog for the immoral behaviour of Apple in this regard. Basically, I want to ensure that 1.1 is fully-compatible with Leopard, but I cannot do this until Apple make the latest Leopard beta available to non-WWDC developers (I have paid Apple hundreds of pounds for access to the "latest" Leopard builds, grr). This has hindered - and dampened - development of late, I am afraid, but rest assured that the beta will be out within about a month of Apple making the beta available to paying ADC members. It is on its way (with even more improvements)!

Best,
Keith

bl
bluloo

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:10 pm Post

Read the blog post. That does indeed suck.

Please don't give up developing for our platform. You're nearly a legend, certainly you've achieved cult status.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:40 pm Post

Oh, it's my platform too, and I've certainly no intention of starting all over again on Windows, don't worry - but I am really saddened by this move. I have done the whole e-mail-to-Steve-Jobs(actually-corporate-relations)-bit, bitched and moaned, and now I'll just have to suck it up like everybody else. :(
Best,
Keith

br
brianjeppesen

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm Post

Sorry to hear that KB. If it makes you feel any better... I was a PC user a year ago. I switched to Apple because their systems work. But check out this bit. I have an MSDN account. With it, I get a copy of every OS and development tool the Microsoft produces. I had access to the Vista Alphas and Betas long before most people. However, before Vista Beta 2 was released to the public, they did a test Beta and released it to people in some sort of random way, none of whom were MSDN members. So there was a beta out, but I, who had dropped $2,000 American Dollars on an account, couldn't get access to it. Then, guess what... they did it again, and again. Soon, the only beta I had was several betas old. That was ridiculous.

And to push it further, Microsoft has been pushing C# as THE programming language for Vista. It combines all the best features of C++ and Visual Basic. It is fully OOP-based. I've used the language and it is really good. However, the newest features of Vista are only available in C++ or by doing all this work-around crap to port the information from the Common Language Runtime (which even then does not work flawlessly in C# as it does in C++). Why push a language as THE language for a new OS when it can't do the new stuff from that OS? It makes no sense to me.

Those are just a few of the reasons I switched to Macs, and I am thankful I did, because it lead me to your brilliant software. Thank you for that. Hopefully Apple gets their stuff straight and gives you the beta you deserve. And, off the record, the new beta is out there if you know where to look. On the record, I do not condone those actions. ;)

antony

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 am Post

For what it's worth, the WWDC seed of Leopard is apparently nowofficially available to online ADC members.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:32 pm Post

Yep, just saw that, thanks. I'm downloading now (which will take about a day). At least two weeks to late, in my opinion, though, and I won't be paying for Select membership again, that's for sure, nor bothering to report any more OS X bugs. Apple can take care of themselves in future if that's how they want to treat those of us committed to their platform.

At least it means I can get on with Scrivener 1.1 as of tomorrow, though.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

alexwein

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:42 pm Post

KB wrote:At least it means I can get on with Scrivener 1.1 as of tomorrow, though.

Yay! Apple sucks, but this is very good news! :)
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:02 pm Post

I found what appears to be a bug in the template importer. I have attached a zip file to this message to demonstrate. To duplicate the bug: Unzip the file and then in Scrivener create a new project and use the template importer to locate and import the unzipped template file. A warning message will come up saying the file is not valid.

Work around: Drag the template file into Scrivener's Application Support folder, in the appropriate Templates sub-folder, create a new project and choose the "Character Template B" template. A new project should be successfully created using the template.

This happens even with template files that have been exported out of the current Scrivener version, and then immediately imported. Zipping and sending the file is not necessary to reproduce. I only include the example in case your working version of Scrivener is doing something different from 1.055b.

Download template
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ni
nicknich3

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:06 am Post

Smart Folders isn't recognizing, for me, the new .scriv files in the new format for 1.055b - e.g. when I set Kind = Scrivener Project. It still finds the ones not yet converted.

Am I missing something?

AmberV

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:03 pm Post

Curious, it is working for me. I see three different kinds of projects when I create a smart folder with this one criteria. I see old format projects that have yet to be converted; converted projects; and projects which have been created with 1.055b. So it looks like there is some other variable in the mix. Are you using Subversion compatible Scrivener projects?
Ioa Petra'ka

ni
nicknich3

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:38 am Post

AmberV - On Subversion - ahhhh ... I don't know.

AmberV

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:05 am Post

Well if you do not know, it's probably not on. It was a wild stab in the dark anyway, and the only thing I could think of from within Scrivener that changes fundamental parts of the project. If you are curious, the toggle is in general preferences, right underneath the auto-save setting.

At the Mac OS X level, it is possible that mdimport is having troubles. While this can be fixed from the command line, there is a free tool called Onyx, which does Lots of things, including rebuilding the Spotlight Index, which is what mdimport does. If you download and run Onyx, check in the Maintenance section, under the "Reset" tab. You'll see a checkbox for Spotlight Index, and an execute button. It might take a while if it hasn't run for a while. On a healthy system mdimport should execute automatically. Perhaps something is broken on your system, and that is why the new Scrivener projects never got properly indexed.
Ioa Petra'ka

ni
nicknich3

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:59 am Post

Thanks, Av. It certainly appears likely that it's an OS X problem on my machine.

The Onyx utility is nice - thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, after running the utilities (or most), I still haven't gotten the smart folder to grab all of my .scriv files. Strange. And it's not just old vs new scriv formats - some of the old ones aren't showing up either. None of the new ones are. But it's probably unrelated to the scriv formats.

I still need to run the disk repair utility - one thing I haven't done yet.