Scrivener 1.1 (1.055b) Public Beta - new and updated (AGAIN)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat May 19, 2007 8:13 pm Post

Hello again folks,

Thought I'd start a new thread given that the other one was getting somewhat prolix (love that word as it reminds me of the sarky lieutenant in Catch 22).

I have just uploaded a new 1.1 beta, code-named 1.05b, and it is available here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... 5Beta2.zip

I'm very proud of this one, as it resolves (hopefully!) an annoyance that has been around since the early betas, namely... And wait for it... Scrivener can now import annotations, footnotes and images in RTF files! Oh yes. But please do test this functionality, as I only implemented it yesterday and today. I've tested it with files from Mellel, Nisus and Word, and all have worked fine. (Note that not all images will get imported - it depends on how they are formatted in the RTF file - but many will now import, which is a big step up from none. :) ) This should make things a lot easier for those who make footnotes in Scrivener, export to RTF and then can't bring their work back into Scrivener without losing the footnotes. It also makes Scrivener one of the few programs outside of Word that fully supports RTF comments - so if your editor makes comments on your manuscript in Word, you can now import those comments into Scrivener. (Note that this only works for RTF files, not DOC files, so you will have to save your documents as RTF in Word to get this functionality.)

I have also improved support for headers - you can now choose to have a footer instead of a header (but not both) in your document when exporting or printing and can put the page number anywhere.

The full list of changes can be found at the end of this post.

As before, please do keep bug reports and feedback related to this beta in this thread rather than posting on the main forum. It makes it easier for me to track beta-specific issues, and it also avoids confusing users of the forum who have not downloaded the beta.

And just to reiterate, this beta is provided as-is for testing whilst I write up the Help file - which I have yet to start updating as I got carried away with the new features of this beta. This will become 1.1 when the Help file is done, which will be the definitive version for sometime to come aside from bug fixes. Honest, 'guv. Really, all I'm interested in here is fixing any obvious bugs - the feature set is pretty much fixed.

Thanks!
All the best,
Keith

Changes since 1.05b and 1.055b
• Fixed up RTF image import so that it can handle pict files more easily and also so that it can interpret images inserted as objects by programs such as Nisus Pro.
• Moved bibliography manager preference to General Preferences (from Typography Preferences, where it didn’t really make sense…).
• Added preference for choosing the format of images when saved into RTF files. Previously, all images were converted to JPG when exported in an RTF file; now you can also choose to have them converted to PNG. (Note that PNG does not support compression.)
• Fixed project notes bugs whereby Scrivener links would be created in the wrong place and would not be saved between sessions.
• Fixed bug whereby contextual menu items for Scrivener links and highlight were greyed out in full screen notes panel.
• Changed internal name for default editor width preference. This will prevent problems upon updating to Scrivener 1.1 whereby users who have set a large editor width so that zooming the window fills the screen find that their text disappears off the right edge because of the fact that Fixed Width is now on by default.
• You should now enter zero into the “Default Editor Widthâ€
Last edited by KB on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

St
Studio717

Sat May 19, 2007 8:54 pm Post

Thanks for all of this, but especially for this one:

[quote]- Added “Export Annotations…â€

da
dafu

Sat May 19, 2007 9:02 pm Post

Keith,

I just tried importing a 50 page NisusPro Beta file with all sorts of formats, 20 or 30 images, and tables into 1.05b. Everything came in fine except a few images (as you warned might be the case).

I don't have time to explore more right now but I do have time to suggest that you head off to the nearest purveyor of the finest ales and lagers for an exceptionally well-deserved reward!

Best
Dave

ho
howarth

Sat May 19, 2007 9:03 pm Post

I have been hanging back from testing the new beta versions because I have two projects in late stages of development and I don't want to lose their formatting. That happened to me last time. Is there some way to preserve present formatting, especially for the screenplay?

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 19, 2007 9:29 pm Post

dafu wrote:I just tried importing a 50 page NisusPro Beta file with all sorts of formats, 20 or 30 images, and tables into 1.05b. Everything came in fine except a few images (as you warned might be the case).

Out of interest, could you just send me an example RTF file with some dummy text and a couple of pictures that won't import into Scrivener (to support@literatureandlatte.com). I just want to ensure that the reason they are not importing is because they are in an unsupported format, and not because of a bug. (Some images cannot be imported because they are in the wrong sort of data, but I want to make sure that those that can be imported are imported.)

Thanks!
Keith

br
brett

Sat May 19, 2007 9:44 pm Post

Wow, I didn't dare ask for this, but the ability to import and export footnotes to rtf means I can use Scrivener to resume work on my (heavily footnoted) book! My coauthor insists on using Word because of its footnoting abilities, and I've been trying to get him to buy either Scrivener or Mellel so we could use the same app without forcing me to go back into Word. But now I at least can keep using Scrivener, export to rtf, then he can import the rtf into Word, and back and forth we go. Again, I haven't tried it yet, but assuming it works smoothly, this is a big, big step ahead for Scrivener and will probably overcome one of the last remaining obstacles for potential converts.
I KNEW there was a good reason to postpone work on my book for a year! But now I guess I'm out of excuses.....
Thanks Keith!

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 19, 2007 9:52 pm Post

Hi Brett, please do try it out with any big projects you have (just for testing) and let me know how you get on. Like I say, it is very freshly implemented, so I really would value some thorough real-world testing on this...
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

alexwein

Sat May 19, 2007 10:19 pm Post

I'm very proud of this one, as it resolves (hopefully!) an annoyance that has been around since the early betas, namely... And wait for it... Scrivener can now import annotations, footnotes and images in RTF files!

No friggin' way!!!! Keith, you amaze me!!! I know it's beta and will likely need some major testing, but wow. I love how you keep these little bomb shells quite and then, kaboom! You spring it on us. As with Brett, this will add a major component to the way I work. Thanks so much! (Yes, I will give a good working over!).

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

br
brett

Sat May 19, 2007 10:21 pm Post

Sorry, can't use it for for at least three weeks -- I'm out of town for that period and will be too busy to work on my book or anything else. But after that I'll be working with my coauthor F2F (or PowerBook2iBook) in his city for at least a week, so I'll let you know then how it's working. By then it'll be out of beta, I guess. Who knows, after he sees Scriv in action maybe he'll buy his own copy!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat May 19, 2007 10:23 pm Post

Hey, I just noticed this one; not sure if it is unique to this beta: Project Notes allow links to be created via drag-and-drop, but after quiting and restarting Scrivener, they will all be lost--reverted to plain text.

When creating links via right-click, weirder things happen. A link will be created at the start of the buffer, titled by whatever the name of the linked document was, instead of being created over the selected text. It looks like this is messing up the undo stack, too. I'm unable to undo anything in this panel after making a link this way.

Excellent work on RTF footnotes and comments! I think you were right to go ahead and just implement it yourself. Apple has been dragging their feet on RTF PC compatibility. There are still bugs and quirks that have existed since the original OS X distributions. Given how important this is, not only to collaborators, but pretty much any of us who work with an editor, this is great news!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

su
suavito

Sun May 20, 2007 1:07 am Post

In short: GASP!

I'm an owner of Scrivener for just one week (after four weeks of trying happily) and I am not used yet to the incredible speed you are programming stuff you just a few weeks before said about you wouldn't finde the time for, Keith.

The current version of Scrivener already is amazing, for the beta version I can't find the fitting word – and that's not only because English is not my native language. The one real flaw - the missing footnote import - is gone, lots of the tiny not-big-enough-to-be-complaints are polished.

And – I read your release notes very fast, so I might be wrong - you didn't even mention the new connection to bibliography software! Works great with Bookends, I just tested it.

Think about changing the keyboard shortcut for bibliography/citation to cmd+y without shift, that would help Mellel users where it has the same shortcut. (I know it could be changed in the system preferences.)

Footnotes: Congratulations again (to you, to us users), my yet few tests importing notes were very satisfying.

Now the notes import works better than the export: In 1.03 when exported all footnotes are in italics, in 1.05b they are bold. When using bold or italics inside of the footnotes, the target programs (Mellel, NeoOffice, Word) have the font Lucinda instead of the font used.

No doubt you'll fix that too.

I can't remember when I was sitting the last time in front of my computer at 3 a.m. on a Saturday night and did not regret that I didn't do anything better. What could be better than finding out that this year Christmas came very early?

Thank you, Keith!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun May 20, 2007 1:30 am Post

At the risk of seeming ungrateful, would it be too much to ask for a little checkbox in the annotation export which would inject the document title for where the associated comments came from? Nothing fancy, just:

Code: Select all

Title

note 1

note 2

note 3

Second Title

note 1

Perhaps, use the font preference for titles in Export Draft?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 20, 2007 7:22 am Post

[quote="KB"]- Added “Export Annotations…â€

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 am Post

Amber - I have added the project notes issue to the list of things to address. Looks like an oversight or two.

suavito wrote:Think about changing the keyboard shortcut for bibliography/citation to cmd+y without shift, that would help Mellel users where it has the same shortcut. (I know it could be changed in the system preferences.)

The reason Scrivener doesn't already use cmd-Y for this is that cmd-Y is already used for opening the script writing menu. The scriptwriting menu needs to be easily accessible, and given that most shortcuts are already in use, I don't think there is anything else available.

suavito wrote:Now the notes import works better than the export: In 1.03 when exported all footnotes are in italics, in 1.05b they are bold. When using bold or italics inside of the footnotes, the target programs (Mellel, NeoOffice, Word) have the font Lucinda instead of the font used.

No doubt you'll fix that too.

Curious, given that nothing has changed in this regard since 1.03 and 1.05. :) Take a look at how your document begins and ends. Footnotes will use the first font used in the exported document. I'm not sure what is going on with the bold, unless you have some bold text at the beginning or end of the document which is being inherited by the footnotes. Inserting the footnote tags in the RTF stream is tricky, so this sort of thing will happen, and it may take some tweaking of your export.

AmberV wrote:At the risk of seeming ungrateful, would it be too much to ask for a little checkbox in the annotation export which would inject the document title for where the associated comments came from.

Ugh. When I implemented this, I knew someone would ask for this. I thought, Shall I include titles? This is the trouble with implementing anything - someone always wants more. :)

Siren wrote:And would it be possible to add a checklist of documents for selection (as in Edit Draft...) so that you can export the annotations from a specific document or selection of documents, rather than having to do the whole project?

No to this one. Do you realise how much code and effort that would take just to get annotations out? The Export Annotations feature is just intended as a rough and ready way of getting all annotations out of a project, to help whoever it was that was having this problem recently (you?).

Best,
Keith

Ti
Timotheus

Sun May 20, 2007 8:15 am Post

Great, Keith, absolutely great! I'll subject the new footnotes importing feature to some rigorous testing.

But first another thing. When creating a new project in 1.05b, I always get the message: "The project you are trying to load uses an older format … Would you loike to update it? A copy of the old project … etc." Is this expected behaviour?
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.