Line breaks gone after update to 1.041b?

pi
pifferi
Platform: Mac

Sat May 19, 2007 1:28 pm Post

Hey there,

I don't know if this problem has been solved (or mentioned) before but after the update to 1.041b I noticed that line breaks aren't made anymore - so to speak : I am writing and writing and the line does not break, as for 1.03 this was always a fact and now I am quite dazzled

Is there any option I have not seen yet?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 19, 2007 1:38 pm Post

Hi,

Please could you keep anything to do with 1.041 in the Beta Testing forum, as requested in the thread over there? 1.041 is a beta, and the main forums are for release versions.

As for your question, I don't really understand what you mean. Could you be more specific, please? Do you mean line breaks inserted via Edit > Insert > Line Break? That works fine for me. Or do you mean line breaks between scrivenings in Edit Scrivenings sessions or somewhere else? Please explain.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Si
Simon

Sat May 19, 2007 2:18 pm Post

Keith, I think Olivier is referring to the fact that (at least in imported projects), the pages get pushed all the way up to 35,270 cm wide... The text therefore does not wrap, so unless you press return, you just go on and on and on... and...on.
With the ruler made visible, you have to go and fetch the line break all the way over to the right (don't know what that down-pointing triangle is called).
This has happened to two both the projects I opened with the latest beta.

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 pm Post

If this is the case, then this is not a bug, but a change in preferences. If you read the change list, you will see that "Fixed width" is now ON by default. This means that the text view will stretch horizontally to fit the number you have inserted into "Default Editor Width". Now, if you have entered a very large number into "Default Editor Width" so that the window will zoom to fit the screen, your text will stretch right off the screen when Fixed width is on.

The fix? Just go to Preferences and uncheck "Fixed width". :)

I'll take a look at this and see if I can make the transition easier, though, as I can see this stumping a lot of folks.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Si
Simon

Sat May 19, 2007 2:48 pm Post

You may only need to impose a reasonable default width for new projects (~600 maybe?), and provide a little dialogue window when an old project is being updated to the new 1.1 format ("Do you want to force all pages to be x wide: Yes/No"-ish). If that number is inherited from the old project, and is ridiculously large, the user should choose "No". Hopefully :D

pi
pifferi

Sat May 19, 2007 5:03 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi,

Please could you keep anything to do with 1.041 in the Beta Testing forum, as requested in the thread over there? 1.041 is a beta, and the main forums are for release versions.

As for your question, I don't really understand what you mean. Could you be more specific, please? Do you mean line breaks inserted via Edit > Insert > Line Break? That works fine for me. Or do you mean line breaks between scrivenings in Edit Scrivenings sessions or somewhere else? Please explain.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hey Keith,

first of all sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I just tried to post the question without making any reasonable thought of where to post it. Don't blame me for that :wink: !

As for the "error" I did mention I think that Simon got the exact point further downwards...

Best regards, Oliver

pi
pifferi

Sat May 19, 2007 5:04 pm Post

Simon wrote:Keith, I think Olivier is referring to the fact that (at least in imported projects), the pages get pushed all the way up to 35,270 cm wide... The text therefore does not wrap, so unless you press return, you just go on and on and on... and...on.
With the ruler made visible, you have to go and fetch the line break all the way over to the right (don't know what that down-pointing triangle is called).
This has happened to two both the projects I opened with the latest beta.

Simon, thanks for getting THE point for me - you exactly mentioned what I tried to explain :-) !

Greetings,

Oliver

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 19, 2007 5:04 pm Post

No problem - I'm just trying to avoid confusion for users who haven't downloaded the beta. :)

Glad you got it sorted!
Best,
Keith

pi
pifferi

Sat May 19, 2007 5:07 pm Post

KB wrote:If this is the case, then this is not a bug, but a change in preferences. If you read the change list, you will see that "Fixed width" is now ON by default. This means that the text view will stretch horizontally to fit the number you have inserted into "Default Editor Width". Now, if you have entered a very large number into "Default Editor Width" so that the window will zoom to fit the screen, your text will stretch right off the screen when Fixed width is on.

The fix? Just go to Preferences and uncheck "Fixed width". :)

I'll take a look at this and see if I can make the transition easier, though, as I can see this stumping a lot of folks.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Okay, the "bug" is fixed, I surpassed this option when venturing through the preferences as up to 1.03 the fixed width should be provided with a large number to get the windows stretched over the whole screen. Now this feature seems to make some unexpected problems, at least as it comes to projects being updated from the previous file scheme.

Anyway, the problem is solved - thanks for your help folks, just like Simon wrote I would welcome a security question if this wrap is wanted when converting into > 1.04 !

Best regards,

Oliver