Scrivener 1.1/1.04 public beta (OLD)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat May 12, 2007 5:27 pm Post

Of couse I did. It also happens with new web files and new projects. The upper pane of split web pages is always magnified and does not respond to the Zoom Out command. Deleting the prefs does not help.

The trouble is that there is zero difference between panes. They are identical, using exactly the same code, so there is no reason why one would work but not the other. However, I am wondering if the zoom is set to such a high number that zooming out just appears to do nothing, because the zoom is beyond anything zoom can handle (uh, if you see what I mean). Have you tried hitting Zoom Out again and again and again and again to see if this is the issue?

On the other hand... Which web page are you looking at? Zoom In and Zoom Out for web pages does nothing more than enlarge or reduce the text, so it would do nothing for a web page without text.

What system are you using?

Keith

je
jean-louis

Sat May 12, 2007 6:06 pm Post

in the very last version (1.04Bêta3) we must click in the binder before calling "Reveal in Binder" to reveal the text parent; if we click into the text, the binder parent is not selected.

A big thank you for tool tip on link :D

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 pm Post

n the very last version (1.04Bêta3) we must click in the binder before calling "Reveal in Binder" to reveal the text parent; if we click into the text, the binder parent is not selected

Sorry, could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean. Reveal in Binder works for me no matter where the focus is.

Thanks,
Keith

je
jean-louis

Sat May 12, 2007 6:45 pm Post

KB wrote:
Sorry, could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean.
Thanks,
Keith

Suppose I click into the binder to select something; the corresponding text appears in the main window; but when I click into that text, the binder is not anymore highlighted. So if I want later to know the origin of my text, I go to menu View/Reveal in Binder... and nothing becomes highlighted as it was the case in previous versions.
To see the origin of the actual text, I must first click INTO the binder and choice Reveal in Binder... and only in that case I can see.. the highlight.
Am I comprehensible now? :?
thank you for your patience!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat May 12, 2007 7:08 pm Post

Ah! I think I see what the problem is. It actually is highlighting, it just so happens that the new background colour for the Binder is very, very close to the colour of an un-focussed selection bar. On some displays, it might not even show up at all.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

je
jean-louis

Sat May 12, 2007 7:20 pm Post

AmberV wrote:...the new background colour for the Binder is very, very close to the colour of an un-focussed selection bar.

Yes, I changed the binder background color to another one and all is perfect now :D

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 12, 2007 7:22 pm Post

Ah, I see. I may need to change the default binder colour and make it different on Tiger and Leopard, then. :)

Ti
Timotheus

Sat May 12, 2007 9:24 pm Post

But now I've got a nasty problem with beta3, which I didn't have with beta 1 and 2.

When I tried to open the first existing project with beta3, Scrivener asked if I wanted to update it. I confirmed, and then I got not an updated project (as in similar circumstances had been the case with beta 1 and beta 2), but a completely empty one, in which "Draft", "Research" and "Trash" were all called "Trash".

Then I trashed beta 3 and redownloaded beta 2, which had worked fine, but to no avail: again after updating I got a completely empty project, with "Draft" "Research" and "Trash" all called "Trash".

What is this? What am I doing wrong?
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 12, 2007 9:44 pm Post

Timotheus, did you keep an older version of Scrivener around? It sounds as though you tried to open a project that had been updated by one of the new betas in an older version of Scrivener. The older version would not have recognised the new format and thus would have asked to update it, at which point the project would become corrupt because older versions of Scrivener do not know about the newer version and assume they are updating a Scrivener Gold project.

Certainly, as you can see from the change list, nothing has changed in beta 3 which would cause these problems. The explanation is nearly certainly that you have corrupted the project by opening it with the wrong version. Fortunately Scrivener always makes backups before updating.

EDIT: Having just tested this, I could recreate what you report like this:
1) Open a project created in 1.03 or below in 1.04. 1.04 asks to update because of the change of file format. So, you update.
2) Now try to open up that updated project in 1.03 or below again. 1.03, not recognising the new format, will ask to update, thinking that you are attempting to open an SG file. So you choose to update, and the file gets screwed up.
3) Now open the same project in one of the new betas again - 1.041b, for instance. The new beta will ask you to update, as Step 2 tried to turn the project into 1.03 or below format. But now Scrivener is updating a project that has already been corrupted by step 2, so upon opening, all of the folders will be entitled "Trash" and there will be no files to select and the editor will be blank.

So I am fairly confident that you corrupted your project with an older version of Scrivener at some point. You definitely need to use the backup!

Basically, it is very important that you do not open any newly updated projects in an older version of Scrivener. There is, unfortunately, no way around this.

Best,
Keith

da
dagaz

Sun May 13, 2007 12:38 am Post

Keith, I thought I'd speak up for the silent majority and say, once again, thanks for all your hard work and dedication with this amazing program. Although I do not consider myself a power user, mainly just using Scrivener for belting out my story, I haven't had any problems with any version of Scrivener since about beta 3 (before 1.0). In fact, I've been happy with Scrivener since that time (which is when I switched to it full-time from CopyWrite) and you could have left it frozen at that point and I'm damn sure I'd still be using it.

That being said, I do like the new interface for the impending 1.1.

cr
cruxdestruct

Sun May 13, 2007 3:24 am Post

Obviously I don't know the code behind this, and I know last time I proposed a UI shift I was greeted with some murky feelings, so please do take this as the gentlest of questions, gentler even than a suggestion. I obviously don't know the underlying code involved, but might it make any more sense to change the 'enable CVS saving' preference to a command in the file menu, 'convert to CVS format' (from, too, if that is possible with the code)? It seems like a user would probably determine whether they were using versioning on a doc-by-doc basis, and so I could foresee myself, for instance, turning the pref on and off depending on what I was working on. I might be misunderstanding the feature, though.

The app as a whole is simply rocketing ahead. You keep saying, Keith, no new features, I'm really done, and then there's a point release, or a sub point even, and we've got another ten of them. Quite remarkable. In the past year we have seen the introduction of many of what can only be called 'Pro'-level features.

da
dagaz

Sun May 13, 2007 5:17 am Post

Having tried to make a really positive post last time, I've now discovered a bug (I think anyway). In corkboard mode, right-click on a synopsis and go Label > Edit ... then double-click to change the label name. Once you've changed the name there's no way of making it stick - the whole box becomes unresponsive and in the end you just have to cancel and the changes don't stick.

Amaru

Sun May 13, 2007 7:16 am Post

Keith, I was finally able to track down the problem reported in my misplaced post--I apologize for branching out.

The bug has nothing to do with foonotes. I already sent you a copy of the project, and the conditions under which the resulting RTF file crashes MS Word.

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 7:59 am Post

cruxdestruct wrote:Obviously I don't know the code behind this, and I know last time I proposed a UI shift I was greeted with some murky feelings, so please do take this as the gentlest of questions, gentler even than a suggestion. I obviously don't know the underlying code involved, but might it make any more sense to change the 'enable CVS saving' preference to a command in the file menu, 'convert to CVS format' (from, too, if that is possible with the code)? It seems like a user would probably determine whether they were using versioning on a doc-by-doc basis, and so I could foresee myself, for instance, turning the pref on and off depending on what I was working on. I might be misunderstanding the feature, though.

I did consider this, and it's not a whole lot of coding, but at the same time I didn't want to clutter up the File menu. The point is that it really doesn't matter which format you use, so if you are likely to want CVS saving, you may as well turn it on for all projects; if not, you can just leave if off. Scrivener can read either project type exactly the same; the only difference is in the saving format, and the fact that saving to XML (for CVS compatibility) is a little slower, although that will only be noticeable on large-ish projects.

dagaz wrote:Having tried to make a really positive post last time, I've now discovered a bug (I think anyway). In corkboard mode, right-click on a synopsis and go Label > Edit ... then double-click to change the label name. Once you've changed the name there's no way of making it stick - the whole box becomes unresponsive and in the end you just have to cancel and the changes don't stick.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this - it may be a bug in a particular circumstance. Could you try doing this again, and when the bug occurs, launch Console.app and see if any errors have been written out, please? Are there any more exact circumstances in which this occurs?

Amaru wrote:Keith, I was finally able to track down the problem reported in my misplaced post--I apologize for branching out.

The bug has nothing to do with foonotes. I already sent you a copy of the project, and the conditions under which the resulting RTF file crashes MS Word

Amaru - you say that you have tracked down the problem but then provide no details! :) Yes, I still have your e-mail and project, but from your post it seems as though you have discovered exactly what is causing it - care to share? :) In fact, the project you sent me - Test.scriv inside a zip file - does not crash Word for me when I export to RTF. Word (2004) opens it just fine, footnotes and all...

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 13, 2007 8:34 am Post

When I create a new project binder in Scrivener v1.041b (10.4.9, G3), using an existing template selected from the list offered, I am asked as usual to give its name and location. I then get the "Welcome to Scrivener" message, telling me that the new file is in an older file format and inviting me to update it to the new format (which is rather unexpected, since it's a new project). When I agree to update the project, the brand new project is created - together with a brand new Old_Backup.scriv. If I choose not to update the project, a new project is created on disk anyway (even though the message says it can't be created); opening this later takes me back to the "Update project" message.

Have I missed something? Do I need to update my templates in some way so that I don't create two new files every time I want a new project? And if so, how do I do this, please? Do I just open a new project with each template and then "Save As Template" again to overwrite the original? Or is there a better way? Sorry if this is obvious... I have looked for an answer in the release notes but can't see one (I might be being thick, though - I had a late night, and I haven't had enough coffee yet).

I don't get this behaviour with the standard "Empty project" template, by the way - just with my own customised templates from v1.03 and earlier (and with all downloaded templates that were originally posted by generous users on this forum).