Scrivener 1.1/1.04 public beta (OLD)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun May 13, 2007 5:54 pm Post

It's split view state-saving that is really obnoxious. Ask any Cocoa programmer. "And don't even mention split views in Cocoa..." is a common cry.

Actually, I've just changed the index card tinting so that it does mix with the card background colour. It looks good, and I guess it is up to users to choose a suitable background colour, but I'm not sure... I might change it back. I quite like having the background colour set to a Post-it note yellow, but with label colours, if I have a white one, I want it to appear white on the index cards. So yes, I may change it back. Hmm.

Amaru

Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 pm Post

KB wrote:Amaru - you say that you have tracked down the problem but then provide no details! :) Yes, I still have your e-mail and project, but from your post it seems as though you have discovered exactly what is causing it - care to share? :) In fact, the project you sent me - Test.scriv inside a zip file - does not crash Word for me when I export to RTF. Word (2004) opens it just fine, footnotes and all... Keith

Keith, I sent another project called RTF test, and the e-mail gave the details. Roughly, the project has two levels. In the first one I have a document, which is the title page, and a folder with the sections of the chapter. Inside the chapter I have four documents.

When I export the documents in the second level, the ensuing RTF file opens without problems, including footnotes.
When I also select either the title page document or the folder in the first level, the resulting RTF file crashes MS Word 2004.

I've tried a number of combinations to make sure that this sequence reveals the bug. I'm e-mailing you the project again.

Thanks for the fast response.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun May 13, 2007 6:09 pm Post

KB wrote:Actually, I've just changed the index card tinting so that it does mix with the card background colour. It looks good, and I guess it is up to users to choose a suitable background colour, but I'm not sure... I might change it back. I quite like having the background colour set to a Post-it note yellow, but with label colours, if I have a white one, I want it to appear white on the index cards. So yes, I may change it back. Hmm.

I think it opens a can of worms. If the user is aesthetically disturbed by white cards, there are at least two other ways of displaying label information in Corkboard: Pins and icon tinting. It is a nice feature though, my compliments. I especially like how I can use my peripheral vision to check the label in the Inspector while quickly scanning through E.S. or something, rather than having to locate and read the small label colour chip.

While on this topic, I did notice that with line drawing turned on, the tinting seems to not be mixing with the lines; as if the lines are being drawn on top of the tint layer. This kind of looks--awkward--to me, but if it is difficult to change the order of all this, I suppose it is fine.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 6:27 pm Post

Hmm, the project you sent me doesn't crash Word at all for me... I'm using Word 2004, maybe you have a different version? The only thing that I can see that is weird is that the font size for your name is 13.5 - maybe your copy of word doesn't like the fraction?
Keith

P.S. For the record, I have got to the bottom of the web scaling bug reported by Jan, which also revealed to me the scaling issue that has being affecting PDF files for some users since beta 1.02. This is all fixed for the next update.

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 6:31 pm Post

While on this topic, I did notice that with line drawing turned on, the tinting seems to not be mixing with the lines; as if the lines are being drawn on top of the tint layer. This kind of looks--awkward--to me, but if it is difficult to change the order of all this, I suppose it is fine.

Yes, the lines are drawn on top. If they weren't, then when you had completely opaque tinting, you wouldn't see the lines at all. Moreover, when you buy coloured index cards from the shop, the lines are printed over the coloured paper, obviously, so the metaphor works, I think. Obviously the awkwardness will depend on the label colours you choose, and the index card theme (blue or red) you have selected.

Best,
Keith

br
brett

Sun May 13, 2007 6:53 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Congratulations, Dr. Alex. :)

I second that emotion! Dr. Alexandria, let us fellow Portlandians know when we can buy you that celebratory microbrew or locally made beverage of your choice. Congrats again, doc!
brett

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 7:06 pm Post

Shortcuts for Edit Scrivenings do not work in Corkboard and Outliner views, however they do work in editor view. When a parent item is selected, and the editor is active, if you press Cmd-Opt-1 while focus is in the editor, the children are collected into a session. If the same operation is performed in either Corkboard or Outliner, with focus in the editor pane and the selection set to nothing (Inspector showing details for container item), the shortcuts for E.S. do not work; you just get a beep.

This is expected behaviour. If you are in Outliner or Corkboard mode, Scrivener looks for the E.S. within the outliner or corkboard; if not, it looks in the binder. Thus, if the corkboard has the focus and there is nothing selected valid for E.S., then E.S. won't be available.

Best,
Keith

Amaru

Sun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm Post

KB wrote:Hmm, the project you sent me doesn't crash Word at all for me... I'm using Word 2004, maybe you have a different version? The only thing that I can see that is weird is that the font size for your name is 13.5 - maybe your copy of word doesn't like the fraction?
Keith

I'm using MS Word 2004 version 10.3 (070131). Have you tried both options? Including first and second level documents?

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 7:20 pm Post

Yep, I've tried both options, including with all documents set to export. Like I say, your other project didn't crash Word for me, either. I'm using Word version 2004 11.0 (040408) - maybe you need to update?

Amaru

Sun May 13, 2007 7:45 pm Post

It seems that there is a bug in the RTF reader in MS Word. It is triggered by the following RTF code (which is inserted by Scrivener when the first level folder text is also selected to be exported file):

Code: Select all

\pard\pardeftab720\sl-320\sb600\sa40\qj\pardirnatural

\f0\b\fs28 \AppleTypeServices\AppleTypeServicesF196611 \cf0 \kerning1\expnd-2\expndtw-8
\ftnbj 1. crisis in post-utopia  \
\

If I open the RTF file with TextWrangler, remove the lines above, and then save the file again, it will open in MS Word without problem. Of course, the header--which is the text in the first level folder--would be missing.

The strange thing is that once I open this file once, it "primes" some internal MS Word variables, so that if I export the file again including the first level folder text, the resulting RTF will be opened by MS Word without problems.

Typo

Sun May 13, 2007 7:58 pm Post

On the side: Naming this version 1.1 is more than deserved! :)

alexwein

Sun May 13, 2007 8:00 pm Post

brett wrote:

I second that emotion! Dr. Alexandria, let us fellow Portlandians know when we can buy you that celebratory microbrew or locally made beverage of your choice. Congrats again, doc!
brett

Thanks!! :) :) :) Needless to say I'm greatly relieved and happy at the moment. And wiped!!! It was a long flight (delayed both ways due to weather) across the country and many trains to get to Princeton. I'm very glad to be back in Portland, except that it was in the high 70s in New Jersey and New York and it feels pretty cold back here! But it's good to be home!!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

alexwein

Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 pm Post

Thanks, AmberV. Needless to say, I'm thrilled it's all over!! :) :)
-Chuck Close

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 8:04 pm Post

Amaru - that is good news for me, as it means that it has nothing to do with Scrivener. :) The RTF code you posted is created by the Apple RTF generator, not by Scrivener, so that seems to be the problem. Anyway, given that my copy of Word is slightly later than yours and doesn't crash, it looks like MS have fixed the bug in Word - you should be able to auto-update, shouldn't you? Anyway, glad we got to the bottom of it!

Best,
Keith

P.S. Yes, congratulations, Alex! Sorry, I was trying to keep this on-topic, but you surely deserve the congrats.

alexwein

Sun May 13, 2007 8:10 pm Post

KB wrote:P.S. Yes, congratulations, Alex! Sorry, I was trying to keep this on-topic, but you surely deserve the congrats.

No problem, Keith. I see you have your hands full and I recognize it is off-topic. But thanks anyway. :)
-Chuck Close