Scrivener 1.1/1.04 public beta (OLD)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun May 13, 2007 8:48 am Post

Siren - you are not missing anything except for the fact that this is a beta. :) Obviously, if the file format has changed, all templates need updating. From your end, it means that you will need to update all your own templates (i.e. create a project, update, then resave as Template, then trash the old templates). From my end, before 1.1 is released officially, obviously the templates that come with Scrivener will be updated. I did mention in the very first post that none of the extras were included because it's a beta.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 13, 2007 10:20 am Post

KB wrote:Siren - you are not missing anything except for the fact that this is a beta. :) Obviously, if the file format has changed, all templates need updating. From your end, it means that you will need to update all your own templates (i.e. create a project, update, then resave as Template, then trash the old templates). From my end, before 1.1 is released officially, obviously the templates that come with Scrivener will be updated. I did mention in the very first post that none of the extras were included because it's a beta.

Thank you :-) I knew not to try the built-in ones, so I apologise for my dimness in not extrapolating this to the others. Sorry for bothering you (although it would be nice if there was some way of updating all templates automatically... not that I'm asking, mind you, since I have just updated mine manually).

By the way, I have found that if I Save As Template as soon as the new project opens, it doesn't seem to update the format -- I am still asked to update when I use that new template for a new project. If I Save manually first (or make a change and wait for autosave) before Save As Template, then all goes according to plan. In every one of the templates I have just updated, I only seemed able to update the template if I Saved the new project first. Is this what is meant to happen?

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 10:39 am Post

Siren - what is happening is that when the project is opened, the old format is converted to the new format for reading, but hasn't been saved to disk yet (not until there is a save). So when the template is created, it is created from the (un-updated) version on the disk. Obviously, this is a bit of an oversight on my part. :) I have changed this so that in the release version, when you update a project, the updated version is immediately saved to disk so that the problem you have experienced won't occur.

Thanks!
Keith

Ja
Jan

Sun May 13, 2007 11:13 am Post

KB wrote:
Of couse I did. It also happens with new web files and new projects. The upper pane of split web pages is always magnified and does not respond to the Zoom Out command. Deleting the prefs does not help.

The trouble is that there is zero difference between panes. They are identical, using exactly the same code, so there is no reason why one would work but not the other. However, I am wondering if the zoom is set to such a high number that zooming out just appears to do nothing, because the zoom is beyond anything zoom can handle (uh, if you see what I mean). Have you tried hitting Zoom Out again and again and again and again to see if this is the issue?

(...)

What system are you using?

OS X 10.4.9 on a G4 PowerBook.
I did some additional tests with b3 (1.041b) today and could consistently reproduce the magnification bug. However, your assumption that the Zoom out command only appeared to do nothing turned out to be true.

Here are the steps I took to reproduce the bug:
- Trashed the Scrivener .plist file and started b3
- Created and saved new project
- Dragged any web page (tested with different Wikipedia pages) from Safari's address field to the Research folder in the Binder. Web page is always shown in 100% view
- Split editor window
- Now the upper split window always shows the same page magnified to the maximum level.

I then followed your advice and hit the Zoom out command multiple times. After pressing and holding the alt-cmd-down keys for about a minute, the web page in the upper split view finally zoomed into view. Once zoomed out, the web page does not revert to the maximum zoom level when I toggle the split view.

However, the magification bug reappears with every new project and every new web page, and quitting the program and trashing the prefs between sessions does not help. I can consistently reproduce it. Am I really the only user having this issue? I don't know which part of my particular setup could be causing it. I have a plain-vanilla system with no fancy extensions.

The only message that shows up in the console log is pasted below (though I have no idea if it is in any way related to the issue):

Code: Select all

May 13 12:00:18 externs-powerbook-g4-12 mdimportserver[6587]: Failed to read BinderStrings.xml from '/Users/extern/Desktop/test2.scriv'
May 13 12:04:52 externs-powerbook-g4-12 mdimportserver[6587]: Failed to read BinderStrings.xml from '/Users/extern/Desktop/test3.scriv'
May 13 12:45:41 externs-powerbook-g4-12 mdimportserver[6920]: Failed to read BinderStrings.xml from '/Users/extern/Desktop/test4.scriv'
May 13 12:47:04 externs-powerbook-g4-12 mdimportserver[6920]: Failed to read BinderStrings.xml from '/Users/extern/Desktop/test5.scriv'

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 12:15 pm Post

Hi Jan,

This is completely baffling. I have tested on a G4 iBook with no such issues. The error message is unrelated, but thanks for bringing it up. The Spotlight importer generated that message when it tried to look inside a project that contained no BinderStrings.xml file. However, it's perfectly legitimate for new projects to have no BinderStrings.xml file, so I have removed that error message.

That doesn't help you, though. In fact, I am at a bit of a loss. Could you please do the following? Find a project which is displaying this bug (any of them, by the sound of it!) in Finder, ctrl-click on it and select "Show Package Contents". There should be a ui.xml file there somewhere. Send me the file, please. That may give me a clue as to what is going on. Or not.

Thanks,
Keith

alexwein

Sun May 13, 2007 1:02 pm Post

Holy crap! Just got back from my defense (you may call me Dr. now, it's official!), and look at this thing! Keith, you can't be getting any writing done! This was so much more than I was expecting with this latest release. I can't wait to play with it all, though I doubt I'll have much to add in any substantial way, coming in late to the game.

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Ja
Jan

Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 pm Post

KB wrote:Send me the file, please. That may give me a clue as to what is going on. Or not.

Email sent.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun May 13, 2007 4:22 pm Post

Congratulations, Dr. Alex. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 4:45 pm Post

The block insertion cursor (set to any width as far as I can tell), seems to create a column of "background colour" above and below it when in Edit Scrivenings. When using a single document by itself, there is no problem, but in E.S., both full screen and regular, there is a vertical line, the width of the cursor settings going from the top to the bottom of the page. The column appears *only* in documents that the cursor is not currently in, so it is only visible if there is a series of short documents.

Cursor size extended to 50px for clarity: Image
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 5:02 pm Post

To reproduce this bug:
  1. Select a range of text in the main editor, create a link to some other document.
  2. Hover mouse over link to verify link and tooltip.
  3. Right-click on the link and select Edit Link... from the contextual menu.
  4. Click OK to erase the link.
  5. Hover mouse over the text which used to be a link.
At this point, a tool-tip should appear containing the string, "$$[ScrivenerLink_Placeholder]$$".

This bug also appears when using the proper "Unlink" function, by the way.
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 5:11 pm Post

Now that Snapshots can be named, and there are two columns in the snapshot viewer, state saving should probably be added to that window on a per-project basis. Window size and split position.
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 5:34 pm Post

I might have missed something, or this may be intentional (as tinting against white will produce a better contrast than some random wild user selection), but when using index card tinting, the base colour of the card is set to white, regardless of the settings for index cards in preferences.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 pm Post

I'm looking into the horrible block cursor problem; I've fixed the Scrivener links issue; I don't think Snapshots need individual state saving (at least, I really can't be bothered with the hideous state-saving code it would involve for now); and tinting against white was intentional so that the tint matches the icon colours, although I could easily change this if you think it should be tinted against the background colour.
Best,
Keith

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 pm Post

Shortcuts for Edit Scrivenings do not work in Corkboard and Outliner views, however they do work in editor view. When a parent item is selected, and the editor is active, if you press Cmd-Opt-1 while focus is in the editor, the children are collected into a session. If the same operation is performed in either Corkboard or Outliner, with focus in the editor pane and the selection set to nothing (Inspector showing details for container item), the shortcuts for E.S. do not work; you just get a beep.
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Sun May 13, 2007 5:45 pm Post

KB wrote:I don't think Snapshots need individual state saving (at least, I really can't be bothered with the hideous state-saving code it would involve for now)

Fair enough, I did not realise that state saving was obnoxious.

...tinting against white was intentional so that the tint matches the icon colours, although I could easily change this if you think it should be tinted against the background colour.

Good point about the icon. I was thinking about it further, and it is probably a good idea to stick with white. Here is a bad scenario that would come up otherwise: User has a label colour which is close to, or is in the same spectrum area as the chosen index card base colour. Cards which have been set to "empty" or white, will appear as though they have been labeled with the conflicting colour. Since there are only so many colours that the human eye can see, the odds of this happening are rather high.
Ioa Petra'ka