Scrivener 1.1/1.04 public beta (OLD)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed May 09, 2007 10:32 pm Post

Hello folks,

NOTE: Updated again 12/05/07 - please re-download!

I have decided to release Scrivener 1.04 as a public beta. This is really the final version of 1.04, except for the fact that the Help file is not yet up to date (so do not complain otherwise :) ) and that it is not neatly packaged up as a DMG and so forth.

The idea is simply that anybody who wishes can test 1.04 whilst I'm updating the Help file and preparing the package, and that therefore any major bugs that arise or that I have missed can be fixed before I release 1.04 officially and make it available as an update.

Please note: Because this is a beta, all bug reports should be posted to this thread, and not to the Bug Hunt forum, which is reserved for release versions only.

Note that the file format has changed slightly with 1.04, so that you will need to update your projects, and that the way script formats work have also changed considerably, so be sure to read the Readme file before you start complaining that the Stageplay formats have gone missing. :)

1.04 introduces a number of fairly large but oft-asked-for changes, such as:
- Mail 2.0-style split views
- No one editor is dominant any more - you can collapse either
- Overhauled script settings, so that you can create your own script formats
- Better Subversion support (hopefully)
- Project References
- Faded footnotes and annotations
- "No synopsis" is gone the way of the Dodo
- You can now assign names to snapshots
- You can now open your bibliography/citation manager using a keyboard shortcut (shift-cmd-Y) from within Scrivener; Scrivener now accepts automatic pastes from Bookends
- many, many bug fixes and minor feature additions

The full change list can be found at the end of this post and in the Readme file.

Here is the download link:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/dlbet ... 4Beta3.zip

Particular feedback

I would particularly like feedback on whether or not this version plays better with Subversion and on how the new custom scripts feature works for people. Not that it will be redesigned - I just want to make sure it is working properly.

About feedback

Please make feedback as precise as possible. If you notice something wrong, please don't just post a general comment - direct me to exactly where that thing is. It makes fixing it a lot easier. :)

Enjoy!

All the best,
Keith

P.S. I have just uploaded beta 2, which resolves some of the issues mentioned earlier in this thread and should now run on pre-G4 systems (sorry about that, G3 users!). The new beta is 1.04b; I am considering naming the official update 1.1 rather than 1.04, better to reflect the change in interface and file format.

P.P.S. I have just uploaded beta 3 - 1.041b.

Change list since 1.04b
- Hopefully fixed bug whereby, upon launching a project in Scrivener, an error would get written to the console along the lines of “*** Illegal NSTableView data source (<SCRSearchResultsController: 0x46b2b80>[object class: SCRBinderDocument, number of selected objects: 0]).  Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:â€
Last edited by KB on Sat May 19, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 pm Post

Wow! Lots of stuff to test. Two quick things I noticed:

Suggestion: Upon opening an old project that needs to be updated to the new format, delete the contents of any Synopsis which match "- No Synopsis -". Currently, all of those previously empty synopsis fields are now considered to have content, and are changing the icons to "card" status (which by the way, looks cool on Folders!)

Crash: Seems simple enough to reproduce. Create a horizontal split. Place the focus in the top split, and press Cmd=' to close the split. Now press Cmd-= to open a horizontal split. Application should crash. No crashes observed when attempting this with the lower split activated.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ta
talazem

Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 am Post

You really need to revise your numbering policy. All of this, and a .01 change? :)

I did have a crash myself, as well, and I think it also involved a split screen. To be honest, I couldn't even quit it, had to force quit. Just tried to reproduce it to double check, but it didn't crash this time.

da
dafu

Thu May 10, 2007 1:21 am Post

Keith,

I agree with Talazem, you really should make this a major version upgrade--1.4 maybe? (Not the dreaded 1.5 which would mean it's back to the novel. :D )

Seriously, though, do you get any sleep? Have you drafted your children, your wife? Has there been a mysterious disappearance of Jolt Cola in the greater London metro area?

Yoicks!

On the subject of the beta, all I've noticed so far are some cut-off labels in the preferences.

Best

Dave

kewms

Thu May 10, 2007 2:52 am Post

So... for version 1.1 we can expect the "Agent" and "Editor" modules? Which, respectively, land a six-figure advance and ensure bestsellerdom? (Sorry, academic writers. He *is* a novelist, after all...)

I agree with all those who think your numbering system needs a serious rethink. Go work on your novel or something! :-)

Oh yeah. And thanks!

Katherine

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 am Post

Okay, I have more time now. Firstly: Impressive update, as usual! Lots of things I did not expect for--well until at least late 2008. :)

Now for some beta testing and feedback:

Minor bug: Icon "content" labels (such as card and sheet of paper) do not update immediately when the document is in an Edit Scrivenings session, and has changed status within that session. Make three empty documents, E.S. them, type 'a' into one, and then delete the 'a', the icon will stay "filled". When not in E.S., adding and removing the 'a' results in immediate icon change. Minor because as soon as E.S. is dismissed, the icons update.

Suggestion: I like the new block insertion point, it makes the cursor much more visible--but it is quite obvious to me why the block cursor was dropped decades ago. It really doesn't work well with variable width fonts, especially around spaces! I wonder if perhaps a thickened cursor, 2 or 3 pixels wide, would be a more attractive option than something that appears to be an em width, regardless of the actual character width beneath it. There are times when it is somewhat confusing as to precisely where the insertion point is.

Suggestion: Is it technically possible to make Cmd-Opt-6/7 toggle between the two scopes, rather than having a pair of shortcuts each? I think it would be easier to use; you needn't think about which shortcut to use, depending on the current state, nor even check the current state at all.

Quibble: Okay, as for single-pixel or thick separators between splits, I really don't mind either way, except that it is well nigh impossible to resize a single-pixel split. Yes, I know there is a grabby thingy, but it is all the way down at the bottom. Is it at all possible, in any way, to make an invisible "buffer zone" around the 1 pixel split that triggers a resize event?

Query: The new ability to manipulate the full screen window from the second monitor sounds splendid! But what if you do not have a laptop?

Query: What do you think about having the new Simple Duplicate feature also dropping meta-data?

You Probably Already Know: But the Tutorial project that is included with the beta has not been updated to the new format. Maybe ought to set the Binder width so that the initial steps can be read, too, now that such things can be saved with the project. "CLICK HERE TO S" is what I get. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ro
rochefore

Thu May 10, 2007 7:13 am Post

Once again: fantastic work.
The "ghost annotations" are marvellous.
Thank you!
-R.

Typo

Thu May 10, 2007 7:54 am Post

I guess I'm only missing something very obvious ... but in the Beta my editor is cut in half, vertically. On the left I have document, but the right half is just grey - as if it calls for "split vertically". Changing the percentage of the view only affects the text itself. How can I widen it and enjoy my 20" widescreen again?

Ti
Timotheus

Thu May 10, 2007 9:45 am Post

@ Typo: go to Preferences > General > Default Editor Width, and there choose a very large number (as indicated).
X.12.6; Scrivener; Nisus; LaTeX; Bookends; Devonthink; Lightroom.

Typo

Thu May 10, 2007 9:53 am Post

Timotheus wrote:@ Typo: go to Preferences > General > Default Editor Width, and there choose a very large number (as indicated).

Ah, right, many thanks! I just had to uncheck "Fixed Width", and everything is fine - which means, like before. :)

Ro
RobertB

Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 pm Post

Typo wrote:
Timotheus wrote:@ Typo: go to Preferences > General > Default Editor Width, and there choose a very large number (as indicated).

Ah, right, many thanks! I just had to uncheck "Fixed Width", and everything is fine - which means, like before. :)

I'm finding this behavior a little odd. Especially after unchecking "Fixed Width" and then toggling on/off the Inspector. The text editor widens to fill in the gray space but it seems as if it ignores the width number provided as the Default Size.

It'll take some getting used to I suppose.

Otherwise no problems with the beta so far. Thanks for giving us access and for all the hard work!

Ja
Jan

Thu May 10, 2007 1:27 pm Post

Very impressive update! I like the visual changes. Thanks for simplifying the way split views work.

There seems to be a bug with displaying saved web pages. When I click on a web page in the binder, the editor window stays blank (except for a message that says "Loading web archive"). Has anyone else noticed this?

Suggestion: Upon opening an old project that needs to be updated to the new format, delete the contents of any Synopsis which match "- No Synopsis -". Currently, all of those previously empty synopsis fields are now considered to have content, and are changing the icons to "card" status (which by the way, looks cool on Folders!)

I second this suggestion. I also found it confusing that the icons of empty documents were changed into index card icons after the update. The icons are changed back into "empty document" icons when you delete the "No synopsis" string, but even if the synopsis was filled with text, this should not change the icon of an empty document into an index card icon. (It just seems inconsistent behaviour because documents that contain content do not change their status when you add synopses.)

KB
Site Admin

Thu May 10, 2007 3:40 pm Post

Um. To respond (rather despondently):

Nope. That is presuming too much, I think. Do a Replace All if you want to get rid of them.

...Ah, right, many thanks! I just had to uncheck "Fixed Width", and everything is fine - which means, like before...

I'm finding this behavior a little odd. Especially after unchecking "Fixed Width" and then toggling on/off the Inspector. The text editor widens to fill in the gray space but it seems as if it ignores the width number provided as the Default Size.

This completely baffles me, given that nothing has changed here since 1.02 or 1.03, except for the fact that Fixed Width is now on by default (read the change list, people!). Please refer to the Help file (under Preferences), where this is explained in full, and where it has been for the past two releases.

On the subject of the beta, all I've noticed so far are some cut-off labels in the preferences.

Given that this is a beta, it would really help if you actually told me which labels you are talking about.

Suggestion: I like the new block insertion point, it makes the cursor much more visible--but it is quite obvious to me why the block cursor was dropped decades ago. It really doesn't work well with variable width fonts, especially around spaces! I wonder if perhaps a thickened cursor, 2 or 3 pixels wide, would be a more attractive option than something that appears to be an em width, regardless of the actual character width beneath it. There are times when it is somewhat confusing as to precisely where the insertion point is.

The block insertion point is just a gimmick, but one disabled user brought up a good case for including this because of his vision difficulties. Thus, I don't really see any need to change this - it serves its purpose for those with difficulties. But it is not the sort of thing you would normally want to use with rich text at all.

Suggestion: Is it technically possible to make Cmd-Opt-6/7 toggle between the two scopes, rather than having a pair of shortcuts each? I think it would be easier to use; you needn't think about which shortcut to use, depending on the current state, nor even check the current state at all.

Not really, because the pop-up requires different shortcuts for each item. Well, technically it is possible, but more programming. And I'm not sure I really agree with this suggestion. Yes, it's more shortcuts to learn, but at the same time, you always know which one is project, and which one is document. So when flicking between panes, you can hit the shortcut you require to bring up which one you want without even checking what is currently displayed. If it's a toggle, I think it's more likely to be confusing.

Quibble: Okay, as for single-pixel or thick separators between splits, I really don't mind either way, except that it is well nigh impossible to resize a single-pixel split. Yes, I know there is a grabby thingy, but it is all the way down at the bottom. Is it at all possible, in any way, to make an invisible "buffer zone" around the 1 pixel split that triggers a resize event?

Groan. You can't please everybody can you? ;) Basically: no. You will find exactly the same issue in every other application that uses a single pixel divider except Apple applications. Apple manage to have a buffer pixel, but goodness knows how, given that the buffer pixel still draws everything beneath it. And have Apple made this API public? Have they heck. Will it be available in Leopard? I was hoping so, but maybe not. So developers have to roll their own solution. This is one of the reasons I clung to the old-style dividers when other apps were going single-pixel. But I finally conceded to the single pixel world as it really does seem that Apple are heading that way. My main concern was that it doesn't separate the binder from the text enough, but if the binder uses a different colour then I don't think it's an issue, and it gains you another 30 pixels of space for your text (including the inspector) - which is significant if you are using an old laptop.

Query: The new ability to manipulate the full screen window from the second monitor sounds splendid! But what if you do not have a laptop?

You don't have a laptop? Buy one!

Query: What do you think about having the new Simple Duplicate feature also dropping meta-data?

I don't think it's a good idea. Simple Duplicate still duplicates everything in the document - it is only the title that doesn't change along with the fact that it doesn't copy children with it.

You Probably Already Know: But the Tutorial project that is included with the beta has not been updated to the new format. Maybe ought to set the Binder width so that the initial steps can be read, too, now that such things can be saved with the project. "CLICK HERE TO S" is what I get.

It's a beta!!!

Thanks all. I will look into the crashes and bugs (which text fields in Prefs, though?!!!).

Hopefully someone users out there will find that there have been some pretty brilliant features added. Where do all the users that ask and ask for things disappear to when the features they wanted actually get added :roll:

Yes, it's my usual post-release despondency.

All the best,
Keith

Kh
Khadrelt

Thu May 10, 2007 3:48 pm Post

Your dedication to your program is amazing.

Just FYI, after you release 1.04 I absolutely forbid you to type a single line of code for at least a month or two. You're going to wear yourself out!

Ro
RobertB

Thu May 10, 2007 3:55 pm Post

This completely baffles me, given that nothing has changed here since 1.02 or 1.03, except for the fact that Fixed Width is now on by default (read the change list, people!). Please refer to the Help file (under Preferences), where this is explained in full, and where it has been for the past two releases.

Yep, read the change list. Twice actually and was well aware of the change from 1.02 and 1.03. My main problem is that with fixed width on you get horzizontal scrollbars with the default setting for the text editor if the Inspector is on and you hit zoom the behvior I expect is to enlarge the window so that there are no horizontal scrollbars. Maybe this is explained in the Help. Will go read now.