2.0.5.5 - Post Bugs Here

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 30, 2012 1:25 am Post

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean so much to say that PDF is an inferior format to DOCX (I don't think that for one minute). I meant that specifically in the context of what works best for importing formatted data into iBooks Author.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

De
DeLub
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:03 am Post

I patched my version of Multimarkdown and installed it in ~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown. However, Scrivener seems not to find it, since the generated output is the same compared to the output before I patched Multimarkdown.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 am Post

Scrivener now has MMD 3.5 built in, so the output should be much the same anyway. What exactly isn't working? Scrivener definitely looks in ~/Library/Application Support/MultiMarkdown, so if you could provide more details, that would be great. Thanks.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 pm Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think under the new system it will only use the AppSup copy if you are compiling with the XSLT flag on in Compatibility. There is otherwise nothing of use in that folder for Scrivener; the scripts just run the binary for programs that aren't yet updated to use the binary.
Ioa Petra'ka

De
DeLub

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:06 pm Post

Seems that you are right. I patched MultiMarkdown to remove the width and height from \includegraphics if the attributes are not present in the mmd source (i.e., if the image in Scrivener is not scaled). However, if I compile from scrivener I get in my tex-file:

Code: Select all

\includegraphics[keepaspectratio,width=\textwidth,height=0.75\textheight]{4-corner.pdf}

and if I run ~/Library/Application\ Support/MultiMarkdown/bin/mmd2LaTeX.pl file.md from the terminal (after compiling to md in scrivener), the result is:

Code: Select all

\includegraphics[keepaspectratio]{4-corner.pdf}

The latter uses my patched MultiMarkdown binary.

AmberV

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:41 pm Post

Thanks, I just ran some tests and it does indeed appear that Scrivener isn't using the installed binary, and is instead always using the built-in binary. This shouldn't depend upon the presence of an application support folder.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 pm Post

Turns out it's looking for /usr/bin/multimarkdown instead of /usr/local/bin/multimarkdown. I've fixed this for the next beta and update.
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

De
DeLub

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:08 am Post

For now I fixed this by replacing the mmd binary in the app package by my patched version. Thanks for this great update, btw.

ma
mariagwyn

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:13 pm Post

I have now crashed 2.2.0.5 3 times, not actually sure what I was doing. I can say that the last time, I was opening a new project (used keybord command) and while it was opening, I activated quicksilver to open endnote and bang, all closed up (all three). I saved the bug report if you would like it, just let me know I can give it to you as a txt file. Sorry I can't give more details.

Maria

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am Post

Hi Maria,

Yes, please do attach the bug report to this thread, or copy and paste it in. I have seen one crash report from you that was sent via the automatic crash reporter, though, and that seems to be related to a PDF file you have in the project. Interestingly, another user has had exactly the same issue with a PDF file and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. Were any of the PDF files in your project created by a particular program you know of?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

De
DeLub

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:18 pm Post

I noticed something else: if I drag in a pdf image and compile, the pdf image is included in the output directory as I would expect. But if I insert an pdf image using "linked to file" from the edit menu and compile, the image is converted to a png file. I'm not sure if this is specific to the beta or whether it also occurs in the stable version. I'm also not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but it's not what I expected and ideally would have liked. Is this a "bonafide bug" or a feature?

Regards,
Alex

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:35 am Post

It's a bit of both. :) When exporting linked images, it ensures they are in either JPG or PNG format, if I recall correctly (it's the Jubilee Bank Holiday here, so I'll check the code itself on Wednesday). But this includes PDF files, and I guess I didn't realise they shouldn't be converted. I can easily amend the code so that PDF files get exported as-is, and have added it to my list for the next update.
All the best,
Keith

nontroppo

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 pm Post

With build 18217 I'm finding that if I save and close a scrivener project with PDFs displayed (in my case with a horizontal split display), I find when reopening it the PDFs are blank until I scroll or switch horizontal - > vertical split, i.e. force scrivener to redraw. If I have a scrivener document and PDF open, only the PDF fails to redraw. I don't remember seeing this with the previous beta. Unsplit display of a PDF also draws blank on restart, interestingly switching to split display one PDF displays and the other stays blank...

The changelog is a joy to read by the way, lots of useful changes!!!

AmberV

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19 pm Post

I've been seeing the same thing as well, whatever pages (or parts of pages) are visible when the PDF is first viewed are blank. So if you've got 2-page layout and enough screen space to see 2 full pages and the top 1/3 of the next two pages, they will all appear blank. Once you scroll it all shows up as it should and there are no problems from that point onward.

I haven't been able to find a reliable reproduction case, however. It seems like one computer does it more often than the other. Lion, by chance?
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:18 am Post

Yes, this is a Lion bug - it should be fixed in the next beta. It seems that in the most recent version of Lion, Apple turned on an internal flag in Interface Builder for the standard PDF View which tells it to use something called "concurrent drawing". This causes the buggy PDF drawing, and it can cause crashes when you close projects that have been viewing PDF files (at least, it seems so far that the PDF-related crash is caused by the same issue). You're seeing this in the latest beta because it was built on Lion 10.7.4, which changed the behaviour (programs built on earlier versions of OS X, including the release version of Scrivener, don't have the problem). As I say, this should - I hope - be fixed for the next update, as other developers have faced the same problem and posted the solution in Apple's developer forums.

All the best,
Keith