2.0.5.5 - Post Bugs Here

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 pm Post

Seeing as the beta forum is generally locked to keep things tidy, please use this thread to report any bugs or issues with 2.0.5.5.

Thanks!
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:57 pm Post

Whooo, riffraff backdoor! Mwahahahahha.

This isn't a bug so much as a discrepancy in the change log, I think. In outliner view without the icons, the selection border is gray and not colored, but it's still rounded (not squared off, as suggested by the change log).

(Really I just wanted to get to post in the beta forum. 8) )
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 pm Post

Fixes to the change log are better than fixes to the code! Yes, this is something I changed again only yesterday - I wanted the border subtler still in this mode, so that it would be as fluid and unassuming as working in a text view.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:03 pm Post

I can not get the -write shortcut to work.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

bobembry
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 pm Post

I'm using 2.0.5.5 (9981) and I'm seeing entries like the following in the Console log:

4/21/11 9:12:30 AM NoteBook[37951] [ScriptManager executeScript:] - execution error: {
NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Scrivener;
NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Can\U2019t get path of item 1 of every document.";
NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Scrivener got an error: Can\U2019t get path of item 1 of every document.";
NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = -1728;
NSAppleScriptErrorRange = NSRange: {234, 4};
}

I use Scrivener in conjunction with QuicKeys (4.07), TextSoap7, and Circus Ponies NoteBook. I have QuicKeys shortcuts assigned to QuicKeys toolbars that perform TextSoap Service Menu commands and clip text to NoteBook using their Service Menu clipping feature. I've been using this setup for several years without problems. Beginning with Scrivener 2.0.5.5, QuicKeys intermittently stops working. I've tried quitting and relaunching QuicKeys and that seemed to fix. This morning I discovered that quitting NoteBook restored QuicKeys operations. I've only tried this a couple of times so I'm not positive that I've got the situation nailed down.

Any of this make sense?

Should I try reverting to Scrivener 2.05?

Thanks

Bob

KB
Site Admin

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:00 pm Post

These are AppleScript errors so I doubt it has anything to do with Scrivener 2.0.5.5, or with Scrivener - it looks like something external is trying to access it via AppleScript and failing.
All the best,
Keith

bobembry

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 pm Post

KB wrote:These are AppleScript errors so I doubt it has anything to do with Scrivener 2.0.5.5, or with Scrivener - it looks like something external is trying to access it via AppleScript and failing.
All the best,
Keith

Keith, did you notice that Scrivener is mentioned in the Console entries?

After your reply, I tried clipping directly from Scrivener to NoteBook using Scrivener's Application Menu > Services > Clip to Notebook command. Every time I clipped some text a console entry appeared. Then I copied some text from Scrivener to TextEdit and tried the same clipping process—no new console entries.

I am able to go back to 4/15/2011 in the Console log. I searched for entries containing: "Scrivener got an error: Can."

The "Scrivener got an error" entries first started to appear on the afternoon of 4/18.

Thanks

Bob
Preparing for Real Life Adventures http://rlaexp.com/memo.html. It's impossible to work on things that aren't on one's mental radar at the necessary point in time.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm Post

Yes, I saw that, but that doesn't mean that they are being generated by Scrivener, only that something is calling on Scrivener. There's nothing in Scrivener that would do that. Something is trying to execute a script on Scrivener, and that is causing the problem. Something is trying to ask Scrivener through AppleScript for "path of item 1 of every document" or suchlike, but Scrivener doesn't support that AppleScript call. So you need to look into what might be calling it.
All the best,
Keith

bobembry

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 pm Post

KB wrote:Yes, I saw that, but that doesn't mean that they are being generated by Scrivener, only that something is calling on Scrivener. There's nothing in Scrivener that would do that. Something is trying to execute a script on Scrivener, and that is causing the problem. Something is trying to ask Scrivener through AppleScript for "path of item 1 of every document" or suchlike, but Scrivener doesn't support that AppleScript call. So you need to look into what might be calling it.
All the best,
Keith

I started this thread because QuicKeys wasn't working the way it had previously. This morning I noticed that some menu items I was "calling with QuicKeys" in Scrivener weren't active.
http://emberapp.com/bobembry/images/applying-presets. After fiddling around for a few minutes the menu items became active. This explains (I think) the issue with QuicKeys—sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
I also noticed that the Delete Preset and Redefine Present from Selection menus don't expand.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks

Bob

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:36 pm Post

A-ha! Now we're getting somewhere - thank you! I had to shift some of the menu validation code around to work around the typing lag that some users have reported, and in the process it had broken the preset menus. I have - I hope! - fixed this for the next beta, which should be out sometime next week. Please let me know if you notice any other menu oddities.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
All the best,
Keith

Zu
Zulithe

Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 am Post

KB it has been a while since the last build of 2.0.5.5, can we expect a final or new build soon?

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 28, 2011 8:32 am Post

It will be a couple of more weeks - lots has been done, including an overhaul of Compile and numerous tweaks for Lion, and there's still a bit left to do. There are a few parts that are too unfinished to release another beta until they are done.

All the best,
Keith

sh
shorn

Sat May 28, 2011 5:03 pm Post

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, since it is not a bug so much as a comment on how a new feature works.

I am very glad to see the File - Insert - Research Files as Aliases... command, since it would suit my use of Scriv perfectly, and it seems to work fine.

What I would like as well is the ability to drag and drop a research file (or files) as an alias, using Option-drag or some such key combination. Could this be done?

Thanks as always for a great program and all your great work,
Simon

KB
Site Admin

Sat May 28, 2011 5:14 pm Post

No, that's not possible, because the Option key already has other meanings in the binder. Also, I don't want to make this a major feature, more an "it's there if you really need it thing", seeing as I want to keep the binder primarily for imported files. Make it too easy to bring in aliases and it will become a support issue from users who do it accidentally.

All the best,
Keith

ow
owenl1998

Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 pm Post

The bug about URL hyperlinks being blue underlined after compile to rtf or word (either doc or docx) is still there. The URLs export and are clickable (you can find them by looking for field codes or by hovering pointer over the link) but they do not appear blue and underlined - instead they appear same as surrounding text. This is a big problem. And although the build 9220 notes say that there is an option in the rtf compile about url appearance under the formatting menu, that is not the case in build 9496.

WITHDRAWN - WOULD DELETE IF I COULD _ I WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG VERSION