Tinderbox

zikade
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 pm Post

Well, it IS possbible to link to Devonthink files. Just cmd-click on a DT-File and select "Copy Link" (the entry below "Open with...", working on a non-english DT ;))in the popup. This you can paste into an URL-Attribute. Not too intuitive, but it's working.
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

mbbntu

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:39 pm Post

Thanks, good to know it is at least possible -- In fact, I've just tried the same thing with Bookends, and it also works for that. Bit of a rigmarole (I'm still blundering around Tinderbox, trying to work out how to do things), but it works. Shame you don't seem to be able to drag and drop items to create links to them, but never mind.

Thanks again,
Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

li
linn

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:43 pm Post

Thanks, zikade. I had the same question as Martin. So are both of you envisioning a DTP, bibliographic manager, and Tinderbox workflow? I just received The Tinderbox Way in today's mail. It looks useful; I'm looking forward to reading it.

mbbntu

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:54 pm Post

linn wrote:So are both of you envisioning a DTP, bibliographic manager, and Tinderbox workflow?

Well, I'm actually just trying to finish off a project, but for the next one (if I live that long) I would certainly use DTP and a bibliographic manager. Whether I use Tinderbox depends on making a decision to buy it, and I'm not good at decisions ... Sadly, I can't afford to buy The Tinderbox Way to discover how to use the program. So I suppose I'm going to have to take a leap of faith, and also hope that Ioa will share yet more of his extraordinary knowledge. But the combination of DTP, bibliographic manager and Tinderbox looks as if it could be a good one.

Best wishes,
Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Hu
Hugh

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:56 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:I haven't taken the plunge yet, though I suspect I will, but there is one thing that I'm still puzzling over -- is it just me, or is it difficult to link from Tinderbox to individual files and folders on one's hard drive? URLs on the web seem to be easy enough, but linking to local files seems less intuitive. Or perhaps it's just my lack of intuition. It would be useful for me to be able to link to files in Devonthink, or items in a Bookends database (without too much faffing around).

Martin.

You can drop an individual file or folder on the Note Window Sidebar, and that will attach it -- one per note. Read about it here.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

zikade

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 pm Post

Hugh wrote:You can drop an individual file or folder on the Note Window Sidebar, and that will attach it -- one per note.

Yes and no - it works with items from Finder, but not from DTP. Mail works again. Safari as well. I can drop some files into the text area of a note and get their contents display, even from DevonThink. I think Tinderbox has no idea what to do with a link like:

Code: Select all

x-devonthink-item://4833E9A7-65D2-4333-8FCA-EDC6C94919EF

even if the OS could give it a hint there. Since, once you have that link pasted into the URL attribute of the note, clicking on it is working.
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

Hu
Hugh

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:50 pm Post

zikade wrote:
Hugh wrote:You can drop an individual file or folder on the Note Window Sidebar, and that will attach it -- one per note.

Yes and no - it works with items from Finder, but not from DTP. Mail works again. Safari as well. I can drop some files into the text area of a note and get their contents display, even from DevonThink. I think Tinderbox has no idea what to do with a link like:

Code: Select all

x-devonthink-item://4833E9A7-65D2-4333-8FCA-EDC6C94919EF

even if the OS could give it a hint there. Since, once you have that link pasted into the URL attribute of the note, clicking on it is working.

I suppose you could index your files with DT rather than import them. Then the Finder functionality would apply. As I only ever use DT Pro on one computer, that's what I do.

In either or both of the DT and TB forums, there are threads on using the applications together.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ea
eastgate

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:22 pm Post

Hi folks!

I'm Mark Bernstein, the designer of Tinderbox. I'm sorry to be so late to the party, but we've been so busy filling end-of-year orders that no one at Eastgate has had much time for anything else! So thanks.

On the subject of linking Tinderbox notes to files, we have *two* good mechanisms. First, drop the file on the note's File button; alternatively, drop the file's URL (attn DT and Mail users) on a note, or paste it into the note's URL attribute.

On the default size of notes in Twig maps: tastes differ, and what suits someone with a big screen and a small document might not be popular with another user who is trying to map a few hundred notes on an 11" MacBook Air. The default size of new notes is adjustable: just change the default values of Heig and Width.

We'll do our best to look in here often. It's a great discussion. But feel free to drop by the Tinderbox Forum as well, or to email info@eastgate.com . Even if it's not your question, we'd appreciate a head-up email if there's something here that's causing puzzlement.

ig
igregor

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 am Post

linn wrote:Thank you, Keith (and Mark Bernstein of http://www.eastlake.com) for the holiday "present" of a special offer on Tinderbox!

I can't seem to find the link to the Scrivener/Tbox special offer here or at www.eastgate.com. Can someone send it along? Thanks.
-- iGregor

ri
rickla

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:54 am Post

ex
exegete77

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:25 am Post

Nuts, I just purchased this week and didn’t know there was the Scrivener-Tinderbox special. I could have saved another $50!

Still great price, but this added discount would have been a nice post-Christmas gift. :D

mbbntu

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 am Post

Thanks to the various people who have replied with clarifications. Still blundering around! Sorry if this is a stupid one, but why is the URL button greyed out on most of my notes? I've been looking in help and so forth, but I can't find out how to make the button active.

Thanks again,
Martin.

ig
igregor

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 pm Post

rickla wrote:http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/Specials/Scrivener.html

-- iGregor

ea
eastgate

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:45 pm Post

Why is the URL button disabled?

The URL button in a note's text window is enabled if the note's URL attribute isn't empty. You can add a URL to a note in several ways -- with Quickstamp, for example, or by making URL a key attribute and typing the URL, or using the note's Get Info window.

Dragging a Safari URL into a Tinderbox map or outline view makes a new notes with the corresponding URL already set.

mbbntu

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm Post

Thanks for the information. I, too, have taken the plunge and paid my money for Tinderbox (at least, I've typed in some letters and numbers that will probably result in my credit card company sending me a demand for money at the end of the month. They keep on doing that ...) I now look forward to being extremely confused for about the next three years. Actually, that's no change from the previous few decades, but it will be a new way of being confused. But I have to say that the Tinderbox forum does look very useful, and may reduce the dementia.

Best wishes,
Martin.