Drawing app for character portraits

Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:58 pm Post

I like to pepper my character biographies with a portrait image of individual characters. It helps me to bring these characters more to life than just a character description.

Problem: I’m terrible at drawing but prefer the portrait drawing to a time-consuming search through countless pictures of people on the internet and at the end still not find what I was looking for.

A while ago, I’ve found an iOS app - FaceDrawHD - that allows me to create an individual face from predefined facial elements. There are certain shortcomings of this app: the elements such as hairstyles, eyes, lips, etc. are limited and factors such as age and period of time are nearly impossible to achieve. Nevertheless, it allows me to create a reasonable draft portrait of my fictional characters:
IMG_3155.PNG (368.2 KiB) Viewed 328 times

However, the app is no longer available in the iOS store and with the recent changes in iTunes for macOS (removal of the iOS App Store), I feel that some point in the (hopefully not too) near future I will no longer be able to use this application.

Is anyone aware of any alternative “drawing applications” out there that allows the less talented drawing artists to come up with a satisfying character portrait?

Or is there even a need for a new application on the Mac/Windows to fill that gap? After all, fictional writing needs fictional characters and having a drawing of these characters at ones disposal is a great help.