Advice needed on storage / backup options

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:51 pm Post

Is anyone here able to give me some advice on storage / backup options for a home network?

I’m currently using an MBP running Sierra (and Mrs P has a Windows 7 machine). I’ve got an external harddrive that plugs into the Mac as well.

I’m running out of room on the MBP and want to rethink how I do stuff. Ideally, I’d like a network drive that both the Mac and the PC can access wirelessly - but quickly, which would be backed up to a cloud based resilient solution. That’d leave the laptop drives relatively empty for active projects only (and I’ll use something like Dropbox to keep those backed up).

Any advice? Every time I look for advice online on this I get hopelessly confused! :/
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:53 pm Post

I should say, I’ll need about a TB for my current data, so quite a bit more for future data growth.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 pm Post

Sounds like you need a NAS.

A recent review of such.

Some routers allow you to connect a disk and use that as a NAS. For example, I have a Apple Airport router with a 1Tb drive attached to it (bought years ago for ~£50). The disk is accessible by all Apple devices (MBP, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV).

I suspect the biggest issue -- and subsequent loss of functionality -- will be macOS + Windows access; what with their different disk formats.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:34 pm Post

I use a WD MyCloud. It has the ability to handle independent areas for different users/devices. I store things I don’t need daily access to on it and also has those files backed up to another external HD.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

xiamenese

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm Post

A NAS is basically pretty straightforward to set up for MacOS, and I would guess for Windows. Your problem is combining one for use with both OSes. And 4TB Drives are pretty cheap; you can get one from PC World or online easily.

I think you'd need to use NTFS as the format, and install something like Tuxera NTFS on your Macs so that they can access it.

However, be aware that if you have upgraded your Macs to 10.13, the biggest potential problem is that, unless Apple has made changes in 10.13.1, you cannot format an HD spinner using Disk Utility, or Tuxera! Drives bought from places like PC World or online need formatting for Macs. I got caught with that for two new external HDs; fortunately my wife's MacBook Pro is running 10.11, and our iMac is still running 10.12! If you buy from Applle, they're already formatted HFS+, but cost substantially more.

So, I'd suggest getting a 4TB NAS running NTFS, and get yourself some software that will allow your Macs to access it.

HTH

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 am Post

Mr X

NAS solutions are not “formate” on the system accessing the share. The NAS itself manages the low level format and the clients (macs, pc, etc) use AFS, SMB or NFS to access the NAS (all native on all OSX vs).

Anyone should be able to get a simple NAS to work with no issues for multiple OS out of the box. Western Digital has some really inexpensive devices in the MyBook Live line that even piggy would be able to figure out.

But I’d still recommend that folks learn a bit and leverage a real NAS that supports upgradable spindles, raid0/1/5 and provided at minimum 4 slots.

But then I’m not really one to listen to these days. More of a bean counter than pure beanie hatted techno nerd of late.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

kewms

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 am Post

pigfender wrote:I’m running out of room on the MBP and want to rethink how I do stuff. Ideally, I’d like a network drive that both the Mac and the PC can access wirelessly - but quickly, which would be backed up to a cloud based resilient solution. That’d leave the laptop drives relatively empty for active projects only (and I’ll use something like Dropbox to keep those backed up).

I would not trust Dropbox as my sole backup of important data.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Jaysen

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 am Post

DB is really only good for sharing, not backup. Folks using it for backup may find that backfired before too long.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

mb
mbbntu

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 am Post

Long time since I've been here, but Scrivener 3 drew me back.

Regarding the subject under discussion, it's worth reading this post on Macdrifter, which mentions NAS problems and backup solutions: http://www.macdrifter.com/2017/11/3-backups-and-2-die-in-the-same-week.html

It's usually worth reading Macdrifter :)
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

xiamenese

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 am Post

Hey, Martin, Welcome back! Long, long time no see!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

mb
mbbntu

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 am Post

Many thanks, Mark! I haven't really written anything longer than an email for about six years, hence my absence. Good to see that many of the "old crowd" are still here.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Tw
Twolane
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:33 pm Post

I'll have a Ham on rye.

as
asd937

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:25 pm Post

try Resilio sync
https://www.resilio.com/individuals/
it works perfectly for me, I sync my desktop, laptop, and mobile files with it effectively

kewms

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 pm Post

asd937 wrote:try Resilio sync
it works perfectly for me, I sync my desktop, laptop, and mobile files with it effectively

If a file is deleted on system A, does Resilio also delete it from all connected systems?

If so, Resilio is a synchronization solution, but not a reliable backup solution.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

as
asd937

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 pm Post

kewms wrote:
asd937 wrote:try Resilio sync

If a file is deleted on system A, does Resilio also delete it from all connected systems?

If so, Resilio is a synchronization solution, but not a reliable backup solution.

Katherine

you can set up any option of those two
1-standard folder = If a file is deleted on system A, it still available on other systems
2- advanced folder = If a file is deleted on system A, Resilio also delete it from all connected systems