Vellum - Formatting Software

Jason2009

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:53 pm Post

This is a MacOS application for formatting both ebooks and print. It's very expensive - well, at least I thought so. I wondered if anyone on here has it? Please feel free to add anything below.

https://vellum.pub

Kind Regards

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm Post

I have tested it but didn't like it, for three reasons.

1. You have to import the text as .docx which means that I first have to write it in Scrivener, then export as Word and import to Vellum to export as epub/mobi. Vellum should be able to read ebook format and fix the fine points of layout.

2. I couldn't get the chapter headings and hierarchial levels to work the way I wanted.

3. The layout was fixed in advance and although there were several templates to choose from, you can't use that as a basis and then fine-tune according to your own ideas.

I bought a book instead, explaining in detail how to format books using Scrivener's Compile function. You can do a lot with that! At least everything you can do in Vellum.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Jason2009

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:30 pm Post

Your issues are basically the same as the ones I have run into. I don't find it anywhere as open and editable as I would like. I don't want to harp on about the price but for what it actually does, the price is ludicrous. I guess I will stick with my Scrivener compiles.

krastev
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:37 am Post

Try Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/

or Sigil https://sigil-ebook.com/

Both completely free and powerful ebook editors.
Krastev
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.8.0
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm Post

Scrivener 3 offers *much* more control over ePub and Kindle export, incidentally. With its ePub 3/updated Kindle support, you can tweak the CSS style sheet right within Scrivener's Compile and use that in conjunction with Scrivener's new styles system to take full control over how your book looks.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jason2009

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 am Post

KB wrote:Scrivener 3 offers *much* more control over ePub and Kindle export, incidentally. With its ePub 3/updated Kindle support, you can tweak the CSS style sheet right within Scrivener's Compile and use that in conjunction with Scrivener's new styles system to take full control over how your book looks.

I think that's probably just what I'm looking for. :D

Jason2009

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:23 pm Post

I'm looking forward to the new Scrivener. I create ePub files, check them in both Sigil and Calibre as well as the Amazon Kindle Previewer and STILL they look absolutely awful when viewed through the Amazon Look Inside feature.

I'm so fed up with this issue. How are people supposed to overcome and tweak the CSS when they don't even know what constrictions and formatting Amazon is using for Look Inside?

Jason2009

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24 am Post

I spent the best part of this week battling with 'Look Inside'. I finally managed to get Calibre to fine-tune everything just right. At least now, the Look Inside feature doesn't look so terrible.

Ra
Rayz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am Post

I think Vellum is aimed at authors who don't really want to mess around with formatting, but still want to produce decent looking stuff for eBooks and print (the new version now supports PDF output for printed books). I use Scrivener for writing the book, then I dump the finished version into Vellum and let it handle the finished output.

This has worked well for the last book, but I'm not so sure that I need it now that I've been playing with Scrivener 3. Vellum books look great, but it's quite limited in what you can do by way of customisation: there are only a handful of fonts you can select for the printed version, and you can't change the size of the headers and footers.

What it handles beautifully though, is layout. It can sort out widows and orphans and can space the text out so that your book looks even and crisp throughout. Scrivener doesn't handle widows and orphans, so that means a lot of subtle adjustments to the text, or round-tripping through Word (not Pages! It STILL can't handle facing pages!) or Libre Office to sort out the subtle spacing issues. If Scriv could handle widows and orphans then it would be the one stop shop, but you can't have everything.

Now, I'm not really one to complain about software prices; I imagine that it's subject to the same laws of supply and demand as everything else: if it was too expensive, then the developer wouldn't sell any and would be forced to drop the price. Having said that, $249 for Vellum is not cheap, and you really would need to think hard about your needs before buying it.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

Ra
Rayz

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:33 am Post

Hang on.

I’ve been playing around with Scrivener3 and I’ve tripped over a format setting to suppress widows & orphans. How long’s that been there??
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

PR
PRSBooks

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm Post

Rayz wrote:Hang on.

I’ve been playing around with Scrivener3 and I’ve tripped over a format setting to suppress widows & orphans. How long’s that been there??

I've been looking everywhere for it, where did you find it?

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 pm Post

Widow and orphan control in Scrivener:
Screenshot_2017-12-05_14_31_43.png
Screenshot_2017-12-05_14_31_43.png (86.51 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4

PR
PRSBooks

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Widow and orphan control in Scrivener:

Ahhhh, that'll be why I couldn't find it, then.