Will Aeon Timeline 2 permanently modify Scrivener?

sa
saturnnights
Platform: Windows

Tue May 09, 2017 5:03 pm Post

I've posted a similar question in the Aeon Timeline forum, but the Scrivener forum is more active and may be a better place to ask this. I'd like to demo Aeon Timeline 2 and use the Sync feature to pass data back and forth between it and Scrivener. My only question is this: if I decide that the product just isn't what I need and uninstall it, will it leave "debris" in my Scrivener project or will it completely uninstall? Scrivener for me has always run perfectly and I don't want to do something that may break it or my project.
Does any one here have experience with Aeon Timeline 2 and can they speak to what may happen to Scrivener if I install/sync/uninstall it?

Thanks!
Mark

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 pm Post

Syncing with Aeon Timeline will add custom meta-data fields to your project and populate them with data on some of your documents. To get rid of that CM-D, you'll have to delete those fields, which will wipe out that extra data from the entire project.

If I recall correctly, it's only a handful of fields, and it's easy to clean out if you know how to add and remove Custom Metadata.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

sa
saturnnights

Tue May 09, 2017 8:09 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback!
I don't know how to work with the Custom Metadata, but I can learn how if the time comes that I need to. Hopefully I won't need to! That is, if I can get the hang of Aeon Timeline and it turns out to be something that will help me.

Thanks,
Mark

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm Post

This may be obvious, but when you're learning how to work with AT2 and Scrivener, don't use your live projects. Make copies of them and do your learning on the copies. One trick I was given was to edit down those copies to just be specific subsets of data so I could focus on learning one aspect at a time and being able to easily track it in Scrivener to see how it was affecting the data.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

sa
saturnnights

Tue May 09, 2017 10:49 pm Post

Good advice, Devin.

Thanks!

Mark