RIP Cubby

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:42 am Post

Thanks everyone.

@Tacitus, if you look at the screenshot in my last post, you'll see that I have done that, and I don't get a "Get Box Sync" option.

@Briar Kit, I have checked: my account, called "Individual" but the upgrade is called "Enterprise". In the profile, all they have is my name, my email address—which is a .com domain, and that might be one of the problems as the help phone number I get is a US number, while looking at their website here gives me a UK number—the account number and my London phone number. Those are the only required entries; there is nothing actually to link me to China.

But the problem remains. I can close that account and open a new one, but if the only way for Shirley to access it in China is through a VPN, there's no point as we could simply use Dropbox on that basis, which would also allow her to use Scrivener on her iPad if she wanted.

So, as she says Sync is working, we'll go with a free account there.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Br
Briar Kit

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:48 am Post

xiamenese wrote:Thanks everyone.

@Tacitus, if you look at the screenshot in my last post, you'll see that I have done that, and I don't get a "Get Box Sync" option.

@Briar Kit, I have checked: my account, called "Individual" but the upgrade is called "Enterprise". In the profile, all they have is my name, my email address—which is a .com domain, and that might be one of the problems as the help phone number I get is a US number, while looking at their website here gives me a UK number—the account number and my London phone number. Those are the only required entries; there is nothing actually to link me to China.

But the problem remains. I can close that account and open a new one, but if the only way for Shirley to access it in China is through a VPN, there's no point as we could simply use Dropbox on that basis, which would also allow her to use Scrivener on her iPad if she wanted.

So, as she says Sync is working, we'll go with a free account there.

Mark

Solution. Nailed.
Account closed January 2017

Ta
Tacitus

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:34 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:@Tacitus, if you look at the screenshot in my last post, you'll see that I have done that, and I don't get a "Get Box Sync" option.
Mark
Hi Mark. I did see that after I'd posted :roll: I can't fathom why you see something different to me, but that's software for you.

Still, it looks like you've found a solution to the problem so I'm pleased it's all sorted.
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 28, 2017 1:25 pm Post

Very late to this thread, but just thought I'd chime in to say that I've been using Sync for the last 18 months and am quite happy with it.

It's not all roses and sunshine. For a start, unlike Cubby, it is limited to a dedicated local folder (just like Dropbox). It's desktop app syncs wonderfully, but all but the most basic of its file sharing magic has to be done via a web interface. The web interface is functional, but not efficient. Its iOS app sucks (it 's really that bad). Officially it links into iOS file services, but I can only get it to work maybe one time in three. Unlike both Cubby and Dropbox, the options for 3rd party apps are very limited (none as far as I can recall).

On the other hand, it is very secure. Secure enough to meet Australian online privacy requirements so that I can use it to share files with clients and colleagues. In my field, that is crucial.

Even with its limitations, Sync has become my number one cloud app and is my Cubby replacement. For the few Cubby features it doesn't do that I need, I use iCloud Drive and, occasionally, Dropbox. When it's long -rumoured iOS update is released, I'm hopeful that I can further reduce my reliance on those two supplementary apps.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

lunk

Sun May 28, 2017 2:01 pm Post

nom wrote:On the other hand, it is very secure. Secure enough to meet Australian online privacy requirements so that I can use it to share files with clients and colleagues. In my field, that is crucial.

Have you looked at Mega? Simple enough to use on the Mac, a reasonably good iOS app and of course accessible via the web.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

SarsenLintel

Mon May 29, 2017 4:52 pm Post

nom wrote:Very late to this thread, but just thought I'd chime in to say that I've been using Sync for the last 18 months and am quite happy with it.

Excellent. I've been considering signing up with Sync for a little while now, good to hear positive experiences from someone using it. :)