A Mac App Store trial/discount solution?

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:42 pm Post

I was surprised to stumble on this blog post by the folks at https://www.omnigroup.com/blog/providin ... experience where they seem to be saying that it is possible and even common, for certain types of software to be free trials and paid upgrades.

After some searching, I did find that they had attempted something else along these lines, but Apple slapped them down later. I'm curious to see if this approach is something they're actually allowed to do, or if they're just betting that the people who approve applications on the App stores are just too busy to notice that they're offering "Trial" software.

I guess time will tell, but I would think that a change in policy by Apple would have garnered a lot of attention, so I'm a bit skeptical.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 am Post

As of right now, there are no free iOS apps from OmniGroup listed in the iTunes store.

OmniGraffle 7 is listed as free in the Mac App Store, with in-app purchases as described in the post you linked.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 pm Post

Yep. The announcement is only a month old, and I'm sure they're going to approach this cautiously as they roll out new apps with this in-app trial/upgrade feature.

When I first read about it, I was hopeful that Apple had finally provided an upgrade/trial path for application developers, but as I read through the article, I kept looking for a bit about how Apple's terms of service or some-such document had been modified to allow for this. What I'm beginning to see though, is that they're skirting the "trial" definition, even as they use that label. When the trial period expires, the files will be read-only.

Now that's pretty brilliant in my opinion; being able to read documents produced by their software for free without printing to PDF gives people who might not have even considered buying it a preview of what it can do, and if they begin to want to modify what they're receiving, they have a simple path to that capability.

I'm just curious if they'll be able to get away with calling it a "Trial", or with taking away the ability to create and edit files that exists before a set time limit.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".