Typewriter emulator

da
dave

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:28 am Post

I love this! It has the feeling of a writing environment while still allowing me to remain loose; no expectation to write anything of significance.

AmberV's feedback is right on the money (IMHO). Eye-strain is not something I particularly enjoy so muted color schemes are a nice way to alleviate this, although it may be nice to give the user a choice between some default sets or a creation of their own. All in due time though.

The adjustable transparency of the window box is excellent but the ability to open multiple documents in Full Screen mode would be be the icing on the cake.

Well done Keith (and all involved), I look forward to the evolution of this wee gem.

GV
GVDub

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:35 pm Post

One of the coolest non-writing tools I've found recently is a program called Art Rage II, which is about recreating the experience and feel of using traditional media (paint, charcoal, pencil, marker, etc.) on a computer. One of the features they offer is the ability to control the color and surface of the canvas on which you're working. The ability to specifiy different textures, rag content, etc. of the "paper" on which you're typing would be extremely cool (although not necessarily useful).
"About the most originality any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgement"
Josh Billings (1818-1885)

GV
GVDub

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:36 pm Post

My very first post on this board, and it's a double.
Last edited by GVDub on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"About the most originality any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgement"

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:57 pm Post

Well, I would be very grateful for any "paper texture" contributions. :)

GV
GVDub

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:01 am Post

KB wrote:Well, I would be very grateful for any "paper texture" contributions. :)

What formats would work for you? There's an editor for the paper textures in Art Rage and I can export as Photoshop layers.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:43 am Post

Any format Photoshop can read would be fine. They have to be free-for-use, though; if they come with Art Rage there may well be some sort of caveat that you can't use them in another program. If they are just texture effects they are probably fine, though.

Thanks!

Ga
Gaijin de Moscu

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:43 am Post

This is a great program. I'd be using it a lot, if not for these little quirks (I understand that it's a beta, so it's OK):

— All my Word documents defaulted to Typewriter, so I had to remove it from my system.

— It doesn't work with Spell Catcher's shorthands (and I short-hand a great deal of my character and place names). The shorthands just don't change into what they stand for, the cursor stops and I can no longer type. Interesting that all other features of Spell Catcher seem to work.

Other than that, the execution is much better than that of your current competitor — it's more elegant, which matters a great deal to me.

GV
GVDub

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:41 pm Post

KB wrote:Any format Photoshop can read would be fine. They have to be free-for-use, though; if they come with Art Rage there may well be some sort of caveat that you can't use them in another program. If they are just texture effects they are probably fine, though.

Thanks!

They're custom textures I did with the editor in Art Rage, so I don't see a problem.

I've put two .psd files up at http://homepage.mac.com/georgevw/ that you can mess around with. One's finer grain, the other rougher.

mu
musti

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 am Post

KB wrote:Well, I would be very grateful for any "paper texture" contributions. :)

Can we assume you'll work on BlockWriter?

Would love to see services support added, a la WriteRoom (Send text to...), and the ability for reading/writing plain text files. Any plans for any?

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:52 am Post

GVDub - thank you very much for the paper textures, much appreciated. :)

musti - I will be doing more work on BlockWriter, yes. However, it takes a back-seat to Scrivener, on which I am working intensely at the moment. From next week I get a six-week break from work (one of the advantages of the job I do :) ), during which I will be working full-time on Scrivener. I hope to take a day or two out of that schedule to work further on BlockWriter, which is all such a simple application should require. Thus, I am hoping that both will be ready for a release towards the end of the Summer/Autumn (or, to be less northern-hemisphere-centric, in the last quarter of 2006).

GV
GVDub

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:59 am Post

Glad to be able to help in any small way. If you want others, or have tweaks you'd like (different color, finer or rougher texture, etc.) let me know. In theory, I can take a scan of a piece of good high-rag bond, import into ArtRage, and turn that into a paper texture, too.

mu
musti

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:34 am Post

KB wrote:<snip> From next week I get a six-week break from work (one of the advantages of the job I do :) ), during which I will be working full-time on Scrivener. <snip>

Great! Thanks for the reply and enjoy the break!

os
oscuridad

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:17 pm Post

check out 'word perhect' by a tokomo takahashi - just google it and have some fun
osc

co
coolie21

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 pm Post

Thought that was a typo, but word perhect it is. Hilarious - some people have too much time on their hands :mrgreen:

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 am Post

My my, I think I can probably disable thread notification on this one, by now.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles