Recommended Email Client for Mac?

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:33 am Post

I must admit I don't use a signature and so wouldn't know about including a graphic in the signature, but it sounds like your hack might work in my mail client. I often get the feeling I'm an odd one out on this forum. My mail client is GyazMail; my favourite browser is OmniWeb with Opera coming next ... I use Safari if I have to and Firefox only under great duress.
GyazMail ... I found it when I discovered that the original Mail.app gave you no way of setting the coding in outgoing mails, and none of my Chinese friends on Windoze boxes could read any of my mails in Chinese.
GyazMail looks very traditional, but that's not a problem to me. It works well. It has a brilliant rules system for managing downloaded mail, and even more it has a separate filters system that you can set up to manage mails on the server without downloading them ... e.g. deleting spam mail from known sources. It also allows you to access the server directly, go through the mail list and set them to retrieve, retrieve and delete or simply delete. I have had many occasions on which corrupt mails hang my mail servers ... I can go into the server, delete the appropriate mail without trying to download it and thereby restore service to normal. Since the disappearance of Nisus Mail the only other mail client I knew that let you do that was Outlook Express. It also works seamlessly with SpamSieve.
Disadvantages ... Well I don't think the first is ... you can still only send plain text mails, though it reads HTML mails and graphics as attachments it displays. And applications which include a "send to mail" option don't include it amongst the list of mail clients they will work with.
It's another more-or-less one one man development team as far as I can see. Certainly Gooichi Hirakawa has responded in person and very rapidly to any issues I have brought up over the years. I seem to remember it cost $18.

Mark

Juddbert

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 am Post

I use Mail. I tried, or rather, I persevered with Entourage, but ultimately found the Microsoft way too intrusive and irritating to continue. I’m sure Thunderbird is an excellent client, but the interface is just too… well… daunting. Have to agree with AmberV though, Mail does have a number of shortcomings that Apple should really have addressed by now. I’d hoped for some improvement with the release of Leopard but, from what I’m reading here, perhaps those hopes are unrealistic. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 2.5 on  OS 10.9

antony

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:13 am Post

I used Eudora for years, even after Mail was created, and would recommend it to anyone who needs that little bit of extra control but still wants an intuitive, Mac-like email client that just does mail (i.e., isn't bloated with Entourage-like jack-of-all-trades features).

I only switched away from Eudora when Mail hit 2.0, and realised it would do pretty much all I wanted from a client. However, if Mail weren't available I wouldn't hesitate to switch back to Eudora. It's stable, mature and full-featured without bloat.

And, of course, it's free: http://www.eudora.com/download/

(You'll be wanting Sponsored Mode, which puts a tiny little floating advert box on your screen while Eudora is running in return for being fully-featured. However, you can position the window anywhere you want on your screen, and it never intrudes on your actual mail reading.)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

La
Lauram

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:46 am Post

I had no idea they'd finally issued a new release of Eudora, so I take back my reservations. I did used to have a problem when I was away from the Internet for more than 3 days and Eudora would get overwhelmed with the message load (my email's posted on the web so I get a lot of spam). Only in those cases would a certain message cause it to hang and need to be forced to quit, but this would also keep it from deleting all those messages from the server, so everytime I tried to log back on it would re-download the same 2000 messages. A problem not unlike xiamenese's. In those cases, I'd go to a site called mail2web.com, which would allow me in to delete the offending message and all the ones I'd already read. It was grueling, though.

sp
spinningdoc

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:21 pm Post

I've had kind of this problem, but upside down.

I'd love to have a mail template with a graphic header, essentially an email letterhead. Outlook Express can handle it; I think Entourage can but I hate Entourage. Mail.app can't, can it? Or is there some workaround?

tr
trystwiththemoon

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:48 pm Post

Spinningdoc - I may be wrong (I don't have my Mac to check) but I _think_ you can specify whether to put a signature above or below text in Mail. Maybe my HTML solution would work for you, if your placed your signature at the top. That's just off the top of my head - I haven't tried it :-)

sp
spinningdoc

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 pm Post

I'll have a dabble and see. My only reservation about that is it'll get blocked by an awful lot of email clients (like Mail.app, for instance) which don't display images with links on them...

tr
trystwiththemoon

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:04 pm Post

True enough, though in my (many!) experiments, I found that just as many clients tend to strip out embedded images and supply them as annoying attachments. At least the HTML route provides a friendly message, advising the image is blocked so users can click once to download. It's all a bit of a minefield though...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:40 pm Post

Most clients default to not showing images in HTML because that is the easiest way for a spammer to determine whether or not your email address is active. If your client downloads the image their server records the download and your address gets sold for good money. With many clients automatically showing the contents of an email without any interaction from the user (the 3-pane way), it's best to verify the sender of the email before showing images. There are other ways of "bugging" an email, but images are the easiest, and the only way to avoid the other methods is to disable HTML viewing altogether.

Bare Bone's MailSmith is a really good mail program, the only problem is that it is really overpriced, and the last time I checked, it still doesn't work with modern IMAP mailboxes which let you keep messages on the server, rather than POP which downloads the messages locally and deletes them from the server. So if you access your mail from multiple locations, it is less convenient. MailSmith would probably make a nice front-end for Gmail users though, since all it allows is POP, and it archives the mail instead of deleting them by default.

Also, for people that like stationary, HTML, and rich text, MailSmith isn't the best choice. Others, like me, consider that a feature.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sp
spinningdoc

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:02 am Post

stationary

Stationery. Stuff sold by a stationer.

Sorry.

ja
janra

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:58 pm Post

I rather like my email to be stationary. As in, stay where I put it. The mail client shouldn't do silly things like delete old emails without telling me. (One of my co-workers ran up against that habit of Outlook's last year...)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:39 pm Post

You pedants. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

xiamenese

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:41 pm Post

AmberV wrote:You pedants. ;)

Writers, perhaps :wink:

Mark

ptram

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 pm Post

I love Eudora, after having used it for eons without a single message lost or messed up. So, I think I'll love its successor, Penelope.
Paolo

antony

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 am Post

ptram wrote:I love Eudora, after having used it for eons without a single message lost or messed up. So, I think I'll love its successor, Penelope.
Paolo

I wouldn't bet on that; Penelope will, it seems, be little more than a plug-in for Thunderbird that gives "Eudora-like functionality". Which saddens me greatly, because Eudora was such a good client, and Thunderbird... isn't.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com