Happy 2018

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 am Post

lunk wrote:Yes, the village decided to fix its own optical cable net before we moved here, today potentially running 100 Gb/s, which make my home WiFi pretty fast. I am writing this on my iPad and the connection with the router says 300 MB/s.

You're rubbing salt into my wounds. :shock:

For a small and crowded country, the UK's data and mobile networks are disappointing. We need more investment, especially outside of the big urban areas.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:16 am Post

Bridey wrote:For a small and crowded country, the UK's data and mobile networks are disappointing. We need more investment, especially outside of the big urban areas.

From an international perspective, almost everything in Sweden is outside big urban areas. You have more people in London than we have in all of Sweden. :)

We really need fast internet connections, to be able to keep in touch with everything in such a sparsely populated country. There is only just over 1 million living in northern Sweden, Norrland, which is about the same size as the whole UK, 242 000 km2.

A traffic jam up here (we commute 60 km by car to our work in Umea weekdays) is when we get into town in the morning and there is a line of cars waiting for the traffic light to turn green and when it does you don't get through before it turns red again, so you have to wait for the next green (!) before you can continue. :shock:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bridey

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm Post

lunk wrote:A traffic jam up here (we commute 60 km by car to our work in Umea weekdays) is when we get into town in the morning and there is a line of cars waiting for the traffic light to turn green and when it does you don't get through before it turns red again, so you have to wait for the next green (!) before you can continue. :shock:

And if you have to wait a second time at the same lights, do you need counselling to help with the road rage, stress, and trauma?

We all need fast data connections. Should be modelling our networks on what Sweden has done. The future will be more about connecting; less about commuting.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm Post

Bridey wrote:And if you have to wait a second time at the same lights, do you need counselling to help with the road rage, stress, and trauma?

No, we are a very balanced people. We simply ask our politicians to build more roads to get rid of those traffic jams! :D

Bridey wrote:The future will be more about connecting; less about commuting.

Absolutely! I work from home two days a week and most of those days I am occupied in video meetings with people sitting in other parts of Sweden. "IT-travel" is the new buzz word at my university.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bridey

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm Post

Love, though don't understand, how a geographically large country with a relatively small population manages to afford the infrastructure that it does. Think the Scandinavians have a far better sense of community and society than we have in the UK: tending to plan and act for the benefit of the people rather than the country/state.

IT-travel is exactly where money should be invested.

An
AnnaRos
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm Post

[quote=AnnaRos"]...but our hearts are warm and our pens are willing to write.[/quote]

HNY, but surely you should be reaching for Scrivener rather than a pen.[/quote]

I draft with pen on paper. I like the craftsmanship of writing. It give me time to think.
Novelist, poet, stage writer / director, creative writing trainer
Dam 63D
4331GH Middelburg
The Netherlands
anna@woordenstorm.nl
http://www.woordenstorm.nl
http://www.annaros.nl