Inexpensive holiday places

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:25 am Post

I want to take a break, and spend some rest time far from my home/office. This should give me that clean mind, sought after to help me complete that novel started on last November.

Apart for me, however, people should be very rich during these times, since the various travel magazines I bought list bedrooms starting from 250€ per night, rising up to over 500€. Admittedly, this is a bit too much for me.

Also, the average 75€ per night, b&b on the nearby mountains are asking, are still too much for me. They are a fair price, but high enough to remember me how poor I am.

But before I decide to spend this vacation time in my little garden under the apple tree, I would like to ask you if less expensive places can be found somewhere. Possibly, in fresh places, and places I can reach with some smart combination of Ryanair flights.

Any suggestion? Where do you imagine a not-very-rich writer hiding during summer?

Paolo

antony

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:46 pm Post

Have you considered looking at an apartment/house swap with someone? I don't know the ins and outs, but I know a few people who do them quite regularly (mostly US people wanting to spend a few weeks in Europe), and they're gaining in popularity precisely because hotel prices are so steep, so I assume there must be agencies that handle it...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 pm Post

antony wrote:Have you considered looking at an apartment/house swap with someone? I don't know the ins and outs, but I know a few people who do them quite regularly (mostly US people wanting to spend a few weeks in Europe), and they're gaining in popularity precisely because hotel prices are so steep, so I assume there must be agencies that handle it...

Heh heh, be careful on this front, though. There was a small article in the Times today recommending this, in which a couple who live in in Tottenham were enthusing about a house swap they did with someone in Hawaii, and how they spent a lovely couple of weeks there. What wasn't mentioned in the article was how the couple who found themselves in a one-bedroom flat in Tottenham felt...

Best,
Keith

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:00 pm Post

M`sieur Paolo,
I have given your entreaty, much consideration. I think I have discovered a, 'tantalising' avenue of of enquiry, for you to pursue.
http://www.lostweekend.tv/2008/01/germa ... ip_se.html
Bonne Chance, Mon Brave.

Le D :twisted:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

antony

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:08 pm Post

KB wrote:What wasn't mentioned in the article was how the couple who found themselves in a one-bedroom flat in Tottenham felt...

Probably delighted with the quaint, run-down authentic charm of it all.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:51 am Post

ptram wrote:But before I decide to spend this vacation time in my little garden under the apple tree, I would like to ask you if less expensive places can be found somewhere.

If I lived in such a place as Recanati, Italy, I should never go anywhere in the wide, wide world.

Unless, of course, Vic-K offered me fish 'n chips and a berth in Stockport, UK.

http://flickr.com/photos/76322115@N00/175314214

http://flickr.com/photos/90134546@N00/166354327

vic-k

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:00 am Post

druid wrote:Unless, of course, Vic-K offered me fish 'n chips and a berth in Stockport, UK.

Aye! Tha`s reet there lad. Aint nowt like a good dollop o` Fish n Chips, wrapped up in t` front page o` last neet`s Manchester Evening News, and eaten on t`hoof, walkin` back from t`pub. :wink:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 am Post

vic-k wrote:I think I have discovered a, 'tantalising' avenue of of enquiry

When young, I worked at the bars on the beach during summer. This might be even more funny!

Paolo

ptram

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 am Post

druid wrote:If I lived in such a place as Recanati, Italy, I should never go anywhere in the wide, wide world.

And I live exacly a bit out of the photo you posted. I could see that house from my window, if there wasn't a low hill in the middle. It is where I end my after-lunch walk, during the mild seasons.

But, hey, Recanati is a small place, full of tourists during summer. I don't want to steal parking lots to our kind visitors.

And, what about stories? Look at the second photo, the one from Stockport: a train. This is a novel itself. Pure heaven for writers.

Paolo

Se
Sebbi

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:00 pm Post

Camping is a good way to go on holiday on the cheap.

The other thing i would highly recomend is volenteering. I have no money this year, so I signed up to work for Oxfam at festivals for 2 weeks (hence why I've not been around) and I had the best time doing it.
Everything my heart desires, may you achieve and be my accomplice

Wock

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:44 pm Post

Many times you can find nice "vacation" spots that offer real cheap rates on "off season" times. Example is the Caribbean Islands Area during hurricane season.

Grand Canyon during the winter.

etc...

Or if all else fails find a band that you really like and "tour with them" for a few places in turn for being their "rodey" You carry amps and other gear, they pay for room. YOu just buy food.

Cheap way to see many interesting "off the tourist spots" around the world
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 pm Post

Wock wrote:Many times...
..."off the tourist spots" around the world

A gold mine of really usless infomation :( what..are...y`...like? Jeeez!!

Jaysen

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Wock wrote:Many times...
..."off the tourist spots" around the world

A gold mine of really usless infomation :( what..are...y`...like? Jeeez!!

Mr Pot, let me introduce you to Mr Kettle. Mr Kettle meet Mr Pot.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:18 pm Post

Mr Jaysen,
Disappointingly, it would appear that having conquered your doggy fixation, you are now developing a Kitchen Utensil fetish, and presenting with disturbing indications of anthropomorphic fantasisation of inanimate objects :shock:

Tell me...Does Mr Jaysen ever talk to Mr Pot and Mr Kettle, and do they ever talk to Mr Jaysen?

Have you made Dr Snort and Nurse Daughditor aware of these latest developments? If not, you should do so immediately.
Take care
Dr Mulality

Wock

Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:05 pm Post

It appears we have had (all of a sudden) a sharp increase in degrees.

Are we getting our PHDs online might I ask "doctors"?
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.