An alternative to NaNoWriMo?

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm Post

Vote for doing it here on the forum somewhere.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.2
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.6 Beta

annewalk
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 pm Post

I'm totally doing this. Just finished NaNoWriMo today. This is my third year. I have still to actually complete a Final Draft. This time, though, I'm going to work on my character sketches over December and head right into January with 85k90 using this existing 50k of drivel I've just spit up and actually make it into something I'm not ashamed of :)

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:23 am Post

So we on, even informally? It's going to be Really Awfully Cold. Like colder than a welldigger's neither-regions, so it'll be good to start a project then. I still have no plot, no real characters mapped out, or a lot of the research done.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm Post

This looks like a good fit for me, so I'm signing up. Planning on using their forums for the weekly check-ins, but will also be checking here for the moral support from #TeamScrivener.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 am Post

There is something wrong with the way 85k90 is thinking about things. They have a full year carved out a full year -- "embrace the writing life throughout the year". But there is something fundamentally missing from their writing plan. You will see it if you look at their calendar and imagine adopting the zealous plan of using this plan to write a novel a year at a clip. What is wrong with that imagined writer's cycle of activity? Answer: there is no time in their schedule to figure out or plan their next novel.

85k90 fancies that it makes sense to start a novel project by simply writing it - 85,000 words of it no less. No thinking, no planning, no research. This most basic part of their calendar is a vestige of NaNoWrimo thinking.

Chop off some of the end parts of their calendar and let the winter be your novel prep months -- some time to plan, research and imaginatively envisage your novel. However it is you do that.

gr

P.s. And maybe they are also laboring under (what I like to think is) a popular misconception about "writers". Really, you oughtn't call creative authors "writers". It gives the woefully inadequate impression that what authors do is just write. And this terminological habit likely gives misdirection and causes a lot of heartache for would-be authors.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 am Post

gr wrote:There is something wrong with the way 85k90 is thinking about things. They have a full year carved out a full year -- "embrace the writing life throughout the year". But there is something fundamentally missing from their writing plan. You will see it if you look at their calendar and imagine adopting the zealous plan of using this plan to write a novel a year at a clip. What is wrong with that imagined writer's cycle of activity? Answer: there is no time in their schedule to figure out or plan their next novel.

85k90 fancies that it makes sense to start a novel project by simply writing it - 85,000 words of it no less. No thinking, no planning, no research. This most basic part of their calendar is a vestige of NaNoWrimo thinking.

Chop off some of the end parts of their calendar and let the winter be your novel prep months -- some time to plan, research and imaginatively envisage your novel. However it is you do that.

Oh, see, that's what I see those 30 day periods for -- time to relax from *this* project and work on prep for the *next* one, overflow from the *previous*, etc. As a framework for *a* novel, it's a great start. If anything, I think they may not leave enough time between writing and editing, but again, it's a great place to start and then adapt to my needs.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 am Post

I signed up but decided to cut the goal in half because I am writing a non-fiction book which will have a lot of images in it. Thinking about the next book is something I do in parallell, while mucking the stables. :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS