An alternative to NaNoWriMo?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:23 pm Post

https://85k90.com/about/

This intrigues me. It has the benefit of not being in the same month as a rather busy holiday. I find, too, with NaNoWriMo I get frustrated with producing things that are crap, and without some sort of deadline, I never get started. (Like with compositions...if people don't give me a date of when they actually need something by, it doesn't happen.)

Anyone want to join me? I figure by then there will likely be a few more builds of Scrivener 3.0 to stabilise things.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 pm Post

garpu wrote:https://85k90.com/about/

This intrigues me. It has the benefit of not being in the same month as a rather busy holiday. I find, too, with NaNoWriMo I get frustrated with producing things that are crap, and without some sort of deadline, I never get started. (Like with compositions...if people don't give me a date of when they actually need something by, it doesn't happen.)

Anyone want to join me? I figure by then there will likely be a few more builds of Scrivener 3.0 to stabilise things.

What a great idea! 1000 words a day is more doable as well. NaNoWriMo has lost its shine for me since my Godmother died.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.6 Beta

Jaysen

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:42 pm Post

That is interesting. I'm not sure I'm all in though. While I dislike the frenzy of NaNoWriMo (which is why I never started one) I'm not really into publishing anymore. I wonder if I could maintain the detachment that I currently enjoy; not having to care if it is right or wrong outside of one day when much bacon is fried by many members of the forum.

I might join you for the first part though. As long as you can accept a collection of disconnected ideas and not a real novel. I will promise that anything I submit would be original for this event.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

garpu

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 am Post

Jaysen wrote:I might join you for the first part though. As long as you can accept a collection of disconnected ideas and not a real novel. I will promise that anything I submit would be original for this event.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would ever publish it. I have less a series of ideas and more of a situation, a problem, and a setting. And a whole lot more research to get done.

StaceyUK

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:17 pm Post

Yeah I was only going to focus on writing and editing anyway. Surely, you can approach it how you wish?
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.6 Beta

Jaysen

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:13 pm Post

StaceyUK wrote:Surely, you can approach it how you wish?

There is plenty of evidence that I need CLOSE supervision. Close.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

garpu

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:

I'm not sure either of us are qualified to provide that. ;)

Jaysen

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 pm Post

garpu wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

I'm not sure either of us are qualified to provide that. ;)

The wife lets our dog provide supervision when she is out so I think you are ok.
Jaysen

Jaysen

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 pm Post

So the boss lady is all "if it will keep you occupied, please do it. Just leave me alone!*"

So are we doing this here or there or am I just too lazy to read the directions?

*What she really said was: You really like doing those things. You really should do it. I'll find something to do that will let me take care of the stuff here while you write away. Have fun!
Jaysen

garpu

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm Post

If I'm understanding things:

January-March: 1000 words a day
April: Finish the thing, in case you fell behind, need more time, etc.
May-June: Edit.
July: Finish editing the damn thing.

After that, I'm not entirely sure what "prep" is for publishing. Not sure I'd do that step. I'd like something I"m not embarrassed to show other people.

ETA: https://85k90.com/august-september/ Meh.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 pm Post

Perhaps it's built in for those who will be self-publishing rather than going the traditional route? Graphics, additional editors, cover design, layout, etc.?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

PJ
PJS

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:05 am Post

I'm leery of projects which begin like stock offerings or on-line dating services. (DISCLAIMER: Never tried either one.) This does, however, seem to involve fewer slippery slopes than those other two. So I'm tentatively in — though if it begins to play out like one of those interminable FB-style gigglefests, I'm back out.
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

garpu

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 am Post

I wasn't thinking about actually using their web site, just doing something informally on my own. Use here for coordination? Or the unused NaNo forum?

Jaysen

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:06 pm Post

More like a long NiaD then. And without the structure. Or the pig overlord.

Ok then. I’m off to forget about all this until someone checks up on me. Don’t be surprised to find me over here licking a window or two until then.
Jaysen

pk
pking36330

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm Post

I believe I might give this a go. Same user name in that forum. At the very least it will be a way to justify fiddling with the new Scrivener 3 options for a full 90 days.