Power of Admin

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 pm Post

rdale wrote:
gr wrote:
rdale wrote:My mother used to "zot" to the store when she needed something for a recipe....

My high school English teacher marked my paper down a point, and told me in front of the entire class that it was just a "Sunday comic strip sound-effect."

The burning question is: why would your Mom set you up like that?! Think of the years of work before payoff. Like most writers, you must have been a very troublesome child.

My mom holds lifelong grudges. So watch what you say about her innocent baby boy. :twisted:

Zot's nice!
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:40 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Ha, there was a spammer that posted a topic called "Power of Admin". They felt that, and the post is gone, but I guess when you respond to a post that gets deleted, the response remains. :lol:

Ah. I thought you were asserting dominance on the populace. :)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm Post

Little humble me? A shocking assertion!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm Post

I won't be here long. The booze from the cruise is wearing off
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:33 am Post

pigfender wrote:Fantastic! If you guys could keep Jaysen busy down here for a couple of weeks we should be able to get NiaD up and running without too much kerfuffle.

Jaysen wrote:I won't be here long. The booze from the cruise is wearing off

Hey hey now, buddy, I mean, what's your hurry? Whoa, look over there. Did you see that? No, not there ... right ... over ... there. D'ya see it? You might have to squint. What is that thing? I mean pretty interesting, amiright?
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 am Post

Doesn't look like a bottle of rum to me...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

gr

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:54 am Post

Yes! True that. Gosh, what else doesn't it look like?

Jaysen

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm Post

gr wrote:Yes! True that. Gosh, what else doesn't it look like?

If not looking like rum, does it matter?
Jaysen

gr

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:

That's a tricky one. Let's see now. What if it were rum in spite of all appearances.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 pm Post

gr wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

That's a tricky one. Let's see now. What if it were rum in spite of all appearances.

Then we should fry up some Piggy, get the Jameson for Mr K and sit telling lies* for a while.

* This is a new phrase I've kind of fallen in love with down here in the "Deep South". It is used thusly:
Bob, Jim, Rob and the other deacons were sittin' at the store, each with a bottle of cold beer, just telling lies for the amusement of all that were willing to listen.
I did change the name of the deacons and removed the "southernese" for readability but this is exactly how it is used. In its original form...
Bub, Jeem, Rub an' tother d'cons wuz sitten a tuh stowr, uch 'id a buttle ud culd beer, jus tullen' lees fur tuh 'muzzemend uh deem'll az wuz wullin' tuh list-den
Jaysen

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 am Post

Tullen' Lees is now the name of my next album.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am Post

Numpty wrote:
Bub, Jeem, Rub an' tother d'cons wuz sitten a tuh stowr, uch 'id a buttle ud culd beer, jus tullen' lees fur tuh 'muzzemend uh deem'll az wuz wullin' tuh list-den

This ^could be heard, almost verbatim, in any of the small towns along the East Lancashire Road route from Manchester to Liverpool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wkzLeHgRv4
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am Post

At one point in the not so distant past I read an article about the "true American accent" and how it had changed over the centuries. The claim was that that the accent of the Deep South was closest to the sound of America as it was at the beginning of the country. A mix of English, Irish, Scottish and other European accents all smashed together.
Jaysen

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:37 am Post

Jaysen wrote:At one point in the not so distant past I read an article about the "true American accent" and how it had changed over the centuries. The claim was that that the accent of the Deep South was closest to the sound of America as it was at the beginning of the country. A mix of English, Irish, Scottish and other European accents all smashed together.

That's true, of course, but what you referred to as Southernese, is dialect I think. Of the top of my head (something you can't say or do), I'd say that accent is different stresses on the way we sound our words, whereas dialect alters the words' spelling and pronunciation almost beyond recognition.
My favourite dialect poet is Sam Fitton. Here's one of his. Hope you enjoy :wink:

My Owd Case Clock

We o’ han cherished things no doubt,
We somehow feel we cornt do ‘bowt:
Some furniture we value heigh,
We’n things ‘at money couldna’ beigh.
I have an owd case-clock a’ whoam
I wouldna’ sell for any sum;
It stood i’ th’ corner, so I’m towd
When first I coom to live i’ th’ fowd ;
It stons theer yet, an’ neet an’ day
It measures time an’ ticks away –
“Tick, tock; tick, tock.”

Its cheery dial seems to say:
“Let’s laugh to while the time away,”
An’ though it hasno’ changed its chime
It’s sin some changes in its time;
It’s gazed on o our household crew,
It’s watched ‘em come, it’s watched ‘em goo.
When little Jack were ta’en one day
It watched us side his things away,
An’ when our tears began to flow
It said “Cheer up, Time heals, I know;

It’s like a sentinel i’ th’ nook;
Th’ owd lad con read me like a book,
An when I’ve had an extra glass
It seems to know, it does bi’ th’ Mass!
That clock’s both human an’ divine;
One neet I geet a bit o’er th’ line;
It chuckled, as it winked one e’e:
“Tha’s had a drop to’ mich I see,”
It hiccupped, “Well tha art a foo”;
The beggar seemed to wobble too: –
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am Post

I don't know if I'd call it dialect. Southernese is easily understood and generally not a barrier to communication like creole or ghulla dialects are. The big thing with southernese is getting through the unique colloquialisms. Things like "telling lies" or "bless your heart" (that's an actual insult I've discovered) or "old Bob's grave". If you asked a southerner to write the dialogue out it would be done exactly as the first quote. And if you read the second quote phonetically you will be instantly transported to a boat launch with a few good old boys sitting on five gallon buckets, each with a pole in hand and a beer between their feet, spending the afternoon avoiding the wife and "telling lies".

Now... the 10 or so couples Boss Lady and I met last week from Wales, London, Liverpool and Scotland... they speak different dialects. They couldn't understand each other let alone the poor ships crew from all over the world trying to explain "the menu choices for this evening are..."
Jaysen