Power of Admin

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm Post

I think I read the same article, but it wasn't general Southernese, it was a specific accent/dialect in a particular strip of the Appalachians, no?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm Post

If I recall correctly, which seems to be less often as I age, there were regional associations. Appalachian areas lined up with Wales, Scotland and Ireland while east and south of the blue ridge area was more Cornwall, Essex etc. The northern Appalachian starts to fade to German influence and south of the ridge trends toward south of England (French/Spanish influenced). Since that article, which I thought was old when I read it a while back, I've noticed that that accents from Appalachian areas are migrating south to the ridge and the ridge accents are migrating westerly. But the west boarder is not moving. We are losing the character of the south thanks to the invading Yankees.

It is more common to hear a Bronx accent in a southern metro area than it is a real southern accent. You have to get into the backcountry to really find the south these days. And then you risk getting shot unless you are invited.

And now my previous headlessness may make more sense to some. :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 pm Post

You recall a lot more detail than I do, my friend, so I will defer to your powers of recollection.

This time. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Jaysen

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 pm Post

When it comes to useless knowledge, Vic-k and I are actually on the ball. Useful stuff... eh. Who's has time for that? And the competition is fierce!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

zikade
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:When it comes to useless knowledge, Vic-k and I are actually on the ball.

May I quote that?
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

Jaysen

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 pm Post

zikade wrote:
Jaysen wrote:When it comes to useless knowledge, Vic-k and I are actually on the ball.

May I quote that?

If you dare.
Jaysen

Ah
Ahab

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am Post

Jaysen wrote:If I recall correctly, which seems to be less often as I age, there were regional associations. Appalachian areas lined up with Wales, Scotland and Ireland while east and south of the blue ridge area was more Cornwall, Essex etc. The northern Appalachian starts to fade to German influence and south of the ridge trends toward south of England (French/Spanish influenced). Since that article, which I thought was old when I read it a while back, I've noticed that that accents from Appalachian areas are migrating south to the ridge and the ridge accents are migrating westerly. But the west boarder is not moving. We are losing the character of the south thanks to the invading Yankees.

I'm unfamiliar with the article you read, but the information sounds a bit off, speaking as a native of the East Tennessee hills and a 45-year resident of coastal Maine. If you're interested, find a copy of David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America. This is the definitive book on the subject, and explains the four main invasions, from four very specific areas of Great Britain, and how this shaped (and continues to shape) the American character, cuisine, form of government, and accent, and why second-generation H'mong refugees in Houston watch NASCAR and talk like Jed Clampett.

Jaysen

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 am Post

Ahab,

I would not be surprised to discover I'm 100% wrong. Between an "unlimited booze" ticket on a cruise and getting ... old, I'm not sure if I'm Jaysen or Vick-K these days. My interest in the topic arises from realizing that none my generation of relatives sound like we are from the hills of WV. It feels like our identity is vanishing into the media cesspool of bland sameness. My very limited interaction with EU and very deep intereaction with India seems to indicate this is a bit of an American thing. Others may affect a high brow accent for business but they seem to encourage identification via regional accents/tones.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive about what I see as a targeted attack on REAL uniqueness in favor of consumer based "unique identity".

Guess I'm officially old.
Jaysen