Happy Tenth Anniversary, Shipmates

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm Post

I'm a late-comer to both this thread and Scrivener at only... good googley moogley... 7 years?! It's been quite a journey on this sea of inter-tubes.

Congratulations, Cap'n!
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

zikade
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am Post

Nicely done, congratulations.
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

Hu
Hugh

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:19 pm Post

Yes, many congratulations Keith. I hope that the celebratory meal was long and riotous. May the next ten years be even more innovative and successful. (And I'm very sorry that I didn't contribute to this thread at an earlier stage; the reason is that I've effectively been interweb-less for the last three weeks, thanks to behaviour by two titans of the UK telecoms industry...).
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm Post

Hugh wrote: I've effectively been interweb-less for the last three weeks, thanks to behaviour by two titans of the UK telecoms industry...).
ALDI Free wi-fi hot-spot. Lidle Wi-fi.co.uk ?? :?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Hu
Hugh

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Hugh wrote: I've effectively been interweb-less for the last three weeks, thanks to behaviour by two titans of the UK telecoms industry...).
ALDI Free wi-fi hot-spot. Lidle Wi-fi.co.uk ?? :?

I'm sure they're paragons by comparison with my little duo.

vic-k

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 pm Post

Hugh wrote:I'm sure they're paragons by comparison with my little duo.
I would'nt say they were dragons. :? More like pussycats .:?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

xiamenese

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:31 am Post

[quote="Hugh" ]… I've effectively been interweb-less for the last three weeks, thanks to behaviour by two titans of the UK telecoms industry...).[/quote]
My answer, Hugh, is a tiny Netgear portable router. I have tried dongles in the past, in NZ, but the trouble with a dongle is that it only gives network access to the computer its plugged into. My little Netgear router—footprint about the size of a pack of cards, height about 7 mm I guess, weight absolutely negligible—will take up to 15 connections at a time. It has a Giffgaff SIM and I pay £5 a month for 1GB access on 4G, which we never get near.

For instance, we have recently had occasion to stay in both Travelodge and Premier Inn hotels. While they provide free Wi-Fi access—for a limited time at the former—to access it, they want a whole load of personal details, which is unacceptable to me, so we used the Netgear ... no hassle.

And our local Picture House—I inhabit the café while my wife takes granddaughter to her music class—has just "upgraded" their free network using a router which won't allow connection by any Apple device! So, once again, the Netgear to the rescue.

And there are many other such situations.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.01, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm Post

While they provide free Wi-Fi access—for a limited time at the former—to access it, they want a whole load of personal details, which is unacceptable to me, so we used the Netgear … no hassle.

I often find those things have very fine print somewhere at the bottom of the page, in dark grey on black just so they can legally say they’ve done it, reading: “Just connect me to the Internet”. But if not, there are websites and WiFi hotspots all over the place filled with garbage from Scrivener’s name generator, thanks to me. :) I always haul out Ralph Blodgett when I’m feeling particularly angry about the privacy invasions. I like to think Mr. Blodgett is rarely calm about anything at all.

A little portable is a good idea though. :) Even if you can get online in hotels, they are usually hardly worth it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Hu
Hugh

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 am Post

xiamenese wrote:[quote="Hugh" ]… I've effectively been interweb-less for the last three weeks, thanks to behaviour by two titans of the UK telecoms industry...).[/quote]
My answer, Hugh, is a tiny Netgear portable router. I have tried dongles in the past, in NZ, but the trouble with a dongle is that it only gives network access to the computer its plugged into. My little Netgear router—footprint about the size of a pack of cards, height about 7 mm I guess, weight absolutely negligible—will take up to 15 connections at a time. It has a Giffgaff SIM and I pay £5 a month for 1GB access on 4G, which we never get near.

For instance, we have recently had occasion to stay in both Travelodge and Premier Inn hotels. While they provide free Wi-Fi access—for a limited time at the former—to access it, they want a whole load of personal details, which is unacceptable to me, so we used the Netgear ... no hassle.

And our local Picture House—I inhabit the café while my wife takes granddaughter to her music class—has just "upgraded" their free network using a router which won't allow connection by any Apple device! So, once again, the Netgear to the rescue.

And there are many other such situations.

Mark[/quote]

Many thanks for the suggestion, Mark. (Nearing four weeks effectively off-air, I may get one of the reprobate corporations to pay for it.)

Skallegrim

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am Post

Many congratulations! and thanks for the software...
Write Your Novel in 30 Days—A 10-Step Guide:
9) Don't stop to research

why, oh why, didn't I listen to Garda?

Hu
Hugh

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:40 pm Post

<= Doesn't time fly? 8)

vic-k

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm Post

Hugh wrote:<= Doesn't time fly?

Yeah, 's like a friggin Exocet missile! Image

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am Post

xiamenese wrote:My answer, Hugh, is a tiny Netgear portable router. I have tried dongles in the past, in NZ, but the trouble with a dongle is that it only gives network access to the computer its plugged into. My little Netgear router—footprint about the size of a pack of cards, height about 7 mm I guess, weight absolutely negligible—will take up to 15 connections at a time. It has a Giffgaff SIM and I pay £5 a month for 1GB access on 4G, which we never get near.

For those in the US, I have a similar device that uses LTE and shows up as another $15/month line on my mobile account. It works as a private WiFi hotspot so my family and I can share the connection. Very handy when travelling.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Jaysen

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm Post

Most phones do the wifi hotspot thing these days... even works for other phones.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

xiamenese

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Most phones do the wifi hotspot thing these days... even works for other phones.

True, but I only pay £5 a month for my mobile phone connection which gives me 100GB of data per month ... only twice have I used that amount in a month, but if I used my mobile phone as a hotspot—which I can—I'd soon hit that limit, especially if my wife was connecting to the interweb through it. Also, when the wife goes to visit her father in God's Own Country, as the locals refer to it (i.e. New Zealand … he's 97 in a few days time!), she can take it with her, put in an NZ SIM chip and she has her own wi-fi there ... she can't take my phone with her!

:)

Mr X

EDIT: Oh, and Devin, 4G = LTE over here.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.01, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …