Happy Tenth Anniversary, Shipmates

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:You my good sir, are the TOP of my list... the TOP of the LIST!
Ohhh! careful there, numpt!! Right now, Le D is probably pondering whether you mean top of your list of idiot, or your list of intellectual giants :shock: I wouldn't want t' get on the wrong side of him ... he looks a mean, vindictive dude. :evil:

The ambiguity should keep him busy long enough for me to escape!

xiamenese wrote:I'm afraid such stuck in their ways people abound and there's nothing that can be done about them. I have since thought I should have pointed out the error of his ways, but it is too late now, so I'm sorry.

Mr. X,

That concept of "stuck" in a mode of thought/way of doing things is as prevalent here as it is anywhere else. I think the scrivenerati are just better at being gracious. Which, in my opinion, is a reflection on the headmaster's/captain's approach to maintaining order. Looking at the L&L team you quickly see the adage "birds of a feather flock together" as well as the common thought of "managers hire folks that think like the manager" played out (but KB has turned that latter one on its ear by hiring the BEST qualities of himself). The KB + staff approach of expecting us to show the same respect to each other as we are shown (even Vic-k and me!!!) has infected the forums and led to something approaching a harmony. Sure we all disagree and have our irritating traits, but we are all members of "the crew".

Which is where you see folks "stuck" in a mindset here. in several threads folks have accused the crew of being unable to see failings in the scrivener methods/UI/options/etc. Most of us have adapted our work methods to scrivener long ago and don't notice these. So we say "you don't need that" or "you need to think of it differently" or, in at least 4 cases, "this is not the software for you" (I know it's at least 4 because that's how many time I said it). Are we really any different than that person on the Nisus forum? I think we are just a bit nicer in our approach.

All that to state my opinion regarding KB's real success.
numpty wrote:The success of scrivener over that last 10 years is only 10% "code". 90% of what has made scrivener and Literature and Latte successful is KB's dedication to his personal approach to people, his hiring a team that furthers that approach in daily operations, and inspiring us to follow that example.

As I was reviewing this before posting, my wife read over my shoulder. She commented, "No one there knows how much you've changed in the last 10 years. Changed for the better. They've been your friends through it all." I think that makes my point about KB and his company better than everything else I've type.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 pm Post

It's the helpful, patient and polite way of treating (almost) all questions and suggestions in here that makes the big difference compared to many other forums.

BUT, on top of that, Scrivener IS different from most softwares in the way it handles ones projects, and in the intricate mix of simplicity and complexity. You can use it as a very simple writing machine but also as a very complex project management centre. I guess KB initially had a general idea of what he wanted Scriv to be able to do, but with all of that implemented in the software it was suddenly possible to do so much more, that no one else had ever thought about, least of all KB. So sometimes the answer to a question is a suggestion for something completely different. "How do I do this?" - "You don't, you could do like this instead..." - "Wow, fantastic idea!" :D

A Word file is a Word file is a Word file. There is a clear limit to what you can do with it. A Scrivener project is something completely different...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:As I was reviewing this before posting, my wife read over my shoulder. She commented, "No one there knows how much you've changed in the last 10 years. Changed for the better. They've been your friends through it all." I think that makes my point about KB and his company better than everything else I've type.

A lovely girl, possessed of an empathetic perspicacity ... qualities to be treasured in a partner.

I feel Scriv's ethos is infused with kindness, integrity and decency to such a degree, as to have enable acquaintanceship to morph over time into friendships. Many of us aboard Scriv, are possessed of physical and/or psychological imperfections/limitations that have been openly aired to our 'friends' aboard Scriv, and although I can only speak for myself, done so free from fear of untoward responses.

Sciv is a much anticipated and appreciated 'pitstop' ... or two, on the daily circuit of life from breakfast to supper, thanks to those 'engine tuners' in the pit.

I like and enjoy the company of Scriv' crew. And in these uncertain times, I wish you all safety and the best of good fortune.
Take care,
Vic
Last edited by vic-k on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

lunk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 pm Post

Ahm... it's really not me you are quoting... :oops:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:07 pm Post

Happy Anniversary, Keith and all the team! Ten plus years for me and I'm still lovin' Scrivener.
J

vic-k

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:28 pm Post

lunk wrote:Ahm... it's really not me you are quoting...
OOPS! SORRY! :oops: Don't know how that happened :shock: :? It was a straight quote from Jaysen's post. The only way that could've happened, is for me to have substituted you name for Jaysen's., which, I assure you, I most certainly didn't. No offence ... or even humour intended. :(
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

lunk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 pm Post

No offense taken. I really would have liked my wife to make such a comment but... I'm not sure I've changed that much during the last decade. Whether that is good or bad, well maybe someone else should be the judge of that? 8)

vic-k

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm Post

lunk wrote:No offense taken. I really would have liked my wife to make such a comment but... I'm not sure I've changed that much during the last decade.
But, good Sir, you must bear in mind that every new dawn heralds another day, that is the, last day, of the preceding decade, and it may not be too many new dawns, before your metamorphosis is complete. Et voila! Your good wife looks at you and sees a subtle difference in you. hopefully a good one. :D
Vic

lunk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm Post

Well, this time of year the new day is a very short day. Right now it's just after 11 pm, soon midnight, and over 9 hours until the next dawn. Six hour later, sunset. But why complain? The days are getting longer. After Wednesday the sundown will be after 3 pm, and soon there will be seven hours between sunrise and sunset. Yippe! :D

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:58 pm Post

Ten years? That somehow manages to feel a long time and yet a blink of the eye at the same time. Hope it's all as fun and exciting as when you started, but with none of the doubt, anxiety and uncertainty.

Happy anniversary, Admiral.

"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Jaysen

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:04 pm Post

vic-k wrote:A lovely girl, possessed of an empathetic perspicacity ... qualities to be treasured in a partner.
Still have no idea how I managed to get her to stick around with me...

vic-k wrote:I feel Scriv's ethos is infused with kindness, integrity and decency to such a degree, as to have enable acquaintanceship to morph over time into friendships. Many of us aboard Scriv, are possessed of physical and/or psychological imperfections/limitations that have been openly aired to our 'friends' aboard Scriv, and although I can only speak for myself, done so free from fear of untoward responses.

Sciv is a much anticipated and appreciated 'pitstop' ... or two, on the daily circuit of life from breakfast to supper, thanks to those 'engine tuners' in the pit.

I like and enjoy the company of Scriv' crew. And in these uncertain times, I wish you all safety and the best of good fortune.
Take care,
Vic

Vic, do not underestimate how much you have contributed to that atmosphere of acceptance. Well, at least a few version of you contributed. :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Jaysen

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm Post

lunk wrote:Well, this time of year the new day is a very short day. Right now it's just after 11 pm, soon midnight, and over 9 hours until the next dawn. Six hour later, sunset. But why complain? The days are getting longer. After Wednesday the sundown will be after 3 pm, and soon there will be seven hours between sunrise and sunset. Yippe! :D

I'm trying to move even closer to the equator. Although the Arctic tern may inspire me to develop a personal migratory pattern to obtain maximum daylight year round...
Jaysen

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:16 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
xiamenese wrote:I'm afraid such stuck in their ways people abound and there's nothing that can be done about them. I have since thought I should have pointed out the error of his ways, but it is too late now, so I'm sorry.

Mr. X,

That concept of "stuck" in a mode of thought/way of doing things is as prevalent here as it is anywhere else. I think the scrivenerati are just better at being gracious. … blah blah blah.

Actually, I agree with you. What incensed me was that on the basis of a brief look at the website, he dismissed Scrivener as not having any functionalities other than those in NWP—which is simply a word-processor in the traditional sense, albeit a particularly good one—without trying Scrivener, even worse without even reading the website closely enough to see the functionalities that Scrivener does provide which NWP doesn't. I would hope that even those of us who are most stuck in our Scrivener ways, among whom I would count myself, would not be similarly dismissive of other software.

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:09 pm Post

Mr X, I would hope so as well. Especially if the product in question had as liberal a trial policy as Scrivener.

BTW, the Boss lady approves your summation of my post.
Jaysen

Eldritch
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm Post

Some of us are lurking in the background - well, I say background but I actually mean have been assigned to scrubbing the bowels of the ship :roll: - but still using, and loving, Scrivener. Happy Anniversary. Keep up the great work. :lol:
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler