Happy Tenth Anniversary, Shipmates

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:45 pm Post

It's ten years today since Scrivener 1.0 was released. My sincere thanks to everyone for all your support and good humour over the past ten years. Especially the good humour.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

All the best,
Keith

(Brevity of message owing to the fact that ten year anniversary or no, our support queue is crazy at the moment. :) )
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 pm Post

Customers wait for no celebrations!

KB, congratulations on such a successful journey thus far. May turtles continue to bless your endeavors.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Ah
Ahab

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:16 pm Post

Wow. In Scriv-years I'm a senior citizen.

Thanks, Keith. Scrivener literally changed my life. Or at least made my life one helluva lot easier.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 pm Post

Jaysen wrote: May turtles continue to bless your endeavors.
...and may all your gerbils be prolific breeders! :D Master Kev :wink:
Keep up the good work,
take care,
Vic x x xx
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:05 am Post

Thanks, folks! Today, Julia, David and I went for a "tenth anniversary lunch", which partly involved my despair upon hearing that our US iOS users are giving us some bad reviews. It was great afterwards to come back here and see that the first three people to respond to this thread were among the first users of Scrivener ten years ago (and earlier). So, vic-k, Ahab, Jaysen: thank you! It honestly means a lot to me that you are still here, on the good (I hope) ship Scrivener. Avast, mateys! (Wait, does that mean that your data is going to be stolen...?) Anyway, thank you once more to all that use Scrivener, whether newbies or oldies.

Cheers,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

nontroppo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:17 am Post

Hm app store reviews, perhaps your eponymous avatar Black Hole robot may contribute:

V.I.N.CENT: As an old war hero once said, "Damn the torpedos! full speed ahead!"

Congratulations to the gerbils, turtles and robots on the merry ship S

Jaysen

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 pm Post

KB wrote:Today, Julia, David and I went for a "tenth anniversary lunch",

What!?! Lunch!?! Why weren't you slaving away on v4?!?

Some people... they just don't care.

KB,

In actual seriousness, the very concept of open reviews with things like yelp, App Store, google, etc. shows that the corps are only looking to their pockets not actual value software/services. With no actual opportunity to challenge a review you wind up with the traditional fanboy wars and disgruntled idiots banging and flailing away and causing real damage due to their own stupidity. As hard as it is, you need to learn to let it go with the knowledge that you've created on heck of an application suite. Don't let the idiots get you down.

And remember you have a few idiots here that are more than happy to play the jester when needed.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:42 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:And remember you have a few idiots here that are more than happy to play the jester when needed
And of course, the the odd intellectual giant like my good self,
Vive le Scrivener Tool Shed
Bonne chance mes amis
LE D x x x
Last edited by vic-k on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:49 pm Post

I think a review system can work [1], Amazon’s surely has its faults as well, but the ability for each review to become a discussion means outright false or misguided claims can be addressed by others , and maybe even someone that is in obvious need of a pointer or two can get some help.

Apple’s system is a master class in YouTube levels of awful though, it always has been in just about every category you could measure a store by. It’s not only bad for the people interested in reviewing (why bother when your carefully written review is going to vanish in the next update?) and making sure that other reviews are sound, but for us as well. If I see someone in obvious need of assistance there is nothing I can do about it. Maybe if they use a handle that is found on the ’net otherwise, but then that’s kind of creepy—tracking someone down to some other social media site. Apple has put no effort into building a system that can provide a culture of responsible and informative reviewing or self-corrective measures. It’s just the sort of low-effort lazy thing you’d expect to see in any closed off anti-competitive system, so what can you expect I guess.

Anyway! Here’s to the second day where we all had our official copy of Scrivener 1.0. :)

1. Though to be fair, I largely ignore even Amazon reviews these days, using them more for amusement after I’ve read the book or seen the film, then as any form of mechanism for deciding on a purchase.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:And remember you have a few idiots here that are more than happy to play the jester when needed
And of course, the the odd intellectual giant like my good self,
Vive le Scrivener Tool Shed
Bonne chance mes amis
LE D x x x

You my good sir, are the TOP of my list... the TOP of the LIST!
Jaysen

yosimiti

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:14 pm Post

Congrats to Keith and posse. Your software truly helped me get better grades, which hopefully translates to a better job in due course. Which will hopefully get me a better looking wife. And better looking children. And grandchildren. And die a peaceful death, hopefully having an orgasm.

vic-k

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:30 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Congrats to Keith and posse. Your software truly helped me get better grades, which hopefully translates to a better job in due course. Which will hopefully get me a better looking wife. And better looking children. And grandchildren. And die a peaceful death, hopefully having an orgasm.
Nice one, yossi ... well said. And that is what Scriv is all about, helping us to achieve our potential ... to do the best we can. Long may it continue to do so.

vic-k

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:You my good sir, are the TOP of my list... the TOP of the LIST!
Ohhh! careful there, numpt!! Right now, Le D is probably pondering whether you mean top of your list of idiot, or your list of intellectual giants :shock: I wouldn't want t' get on the wrong side of him ... he looks a mean, vindictive dude. :evil:

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 pm Post

KB wrote:It's ten years today since Scrivener 1.0 was released.

Happy 10th birthday, Scrivener! It's amazing how quickly the decade has flown by.
Literature & Latte support team

xiamenese

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:31 pm Post

I too found Scrivener just before the launch of version 1, joined the forum just after the launch, and have never looked back. It changed my working life for very much the better.

As for critics, a couple of years ago, there was a thread on the Nisus forum where someone asked for advice on software for translation. I recommended Scrivener. An established, Japanese-English technical translator responded saying he'd taken a quick look at the L&L website, that Scrivener couldn't do anything that NWP couldn't do, and that nothing could replace a dedicated CAT system. I was so incensed that I couldn't bring myself to answer as I didn't want to start a flame war on the Nisus website. I'm afraid such stuck in their ways people abound and there's nothing that can be done about them. I have since thought I should have pointed out the error of his ways, but it is too late now, so I'm sorry.

And yes, the Apple review system is totally lame!

Mark

1 Edit to correct fact!
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …