Exercising and writing...

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 pm Post

I guess I happen to think both of you are right, in spirit, in the least.

Of course, eating 1000 calories of sugar, vs. 1000 calories of lettuce will result in dramatic differences to your body. No question about that.

But for anyone who struggles with weight issues, you know this story: So you're fat. You want to lose weight. You decide alright, I'm just going to eat healthier. Salad, instead of burgers. Fruits instead of fruit juice. Beans, and Greek yogurt to replace the protein from red meat. Cut down on salt, sugar. No sugar or cream with your tea. Take out carbs. No bread. No roti. No cereal. No pancakes. No muffins. Brocolli. Lots of it. Along with all the other greens. This has become my diet. But the truth is, even with all these restrictions, the weight may not go, because as Jaysen eloquently states, the fact is, you've got to reduce the quantity of all of it, for it to have any impact on your weight. This is the sad truth, I'm beginning to realize now, and I'm going to have to figure out somehow...

An
AndreasE

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I'm lost 3 sizes THIS YEAR.

But your avatar isn't a kind of "ideal goal picture", I hope … :wink:

yosimiti

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 pm Post

He lost so much weight he lost his head!

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:
Jaysen wrote:I'm lost 3 sizes THIS YEAR.

But your avatar isn't a kind of "ideal goal picture", I hope … :wink:

No. As much as it fits, it is not the planned end state. :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Hu
Hugh

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:03 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:
NOT EATING is LIKE THE HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD TO FREAKIN DO.

No, if you live long enough (and I hope that your dieting allows you to do so), you'll almost certainly find that there are many harder things to do.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Jaysen

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 pm Post

Hugh wrote: there are many harder things to do.

Finding a good answer to "Does this make me look fat?"
Not asking "Does this make me look fat?"
Not suggesting "That <item of clothing> makes <person> look fat?"
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:22 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:....between 1,000 calories of lettuce and....

Had a terrible nightmare last night after reading jays en's scary allusions :shock: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY
Dreamt I was Patrick McGoohan's character, but instead of being pursued by a huge white balloon, I was chased by a floating 1000 calorie Iceberg lettuce Image
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:47 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:....between 1,000 calories of lettuce and....

Had a terrible nightmare last night after reading jays en's scary allusions :shock:

I think that's "success" on my part :P
Jaysen

vic-k

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I think that's "success" on my part
Well, don't let success go to your Image pal ... ok? ... good!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:08 am Post

Jaysen wrote:I guess someone needs to tell every medical facility and doctor that normal people see "the rules have changed".

Unless it's their specialty, or their clinic/practice/hospital trains them otherwise, doctors and medical practitioners have a hard time keeping up with the research. Look at the BMI -- still widely in use despite being based on flawed assumptions AND being horribly inaccurate to boot.
When we have more than a few doctors running around telling people not to vaccinate their kids based on outdated and discredited "studies", it doesn't surprise me.

Every medical professional I've asked about the whole food calories vs. science kilocalories thing, BTW, acknowledges that calories is an over-generalized relic of the past that doesn't match the current state of the art. But there's a lot of inertia there, and a lot of entities have a fiduciary imperative to keep that outdated system in place.

I didn't drop 50 lbs. by altering my diet, my portion sizes, or even my exercise level. I'd already tried all those and was *gaining* weight.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:10 am Post

yosimiti wrote:I guess I happen to think both of you are right, in spirit, in the least.

Of course, eating 1000 calories of sugar, vs. 1000 calories of lettuce will result in dramatic differences to your body. No question about that.

But for anyone who struggles with weight issues, you know this story: So you're fat. You want to lose weight. You decide alright, I'm just going to eat healthier. Salad, instead of burgers. Fruits instead of fruit juice. Beans, and Greek yogurt to replace the protein from red meat. Cut down on salt, sugar. No sugar or cream with your tea. Take out carbs. No bread. No roti. No cereal. No pancakes. No muffins. Brocolli. Lots of it. Along with all the other greens. This has become my diet. But the truth is, even with all these restrictions, the weight may not go, because as Jaysen eloquently states, the fact is, you've got to reduce the quantity of all of it, for it to have any impact on your weight. This is the sad truth, I'm beginning to realize now, and I'm going to have to figure out somehow...

Again, it's not that simple and it's definitely not one-size-fits-all. It depends on your genetics, your environment, and a host of other things you may not even be thinking about. There are LOTS of mechanisms in your body that deal with what you put in your mouth, and any one of them could be the one that's out-of-kilter and causing the rest to not work the way they should be.

Kinda like troubleshooting a large, enterprise network, now that I think about it. Solve one masking problem and the next one pops up.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

yosimiti

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:31 am Post

I've done batteries of tests with my doctor. I've also gone to several doctors. They all don't know what's going on. So I'm left with occam's razor; the simplest solution is likely the most righteous. In this case, just eat less. Can't say that for everyone else. But I can say it for myself.

vic-k

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 am Post

devinganger wrote:I didn't drop 50 lbs. by altering my diet, my portion sizes, or even my exercise level. I'd already tried all those and was *gaining* weight.
Dev, me old mate, you already know the question I don't need to ask ... so what's the answer? You seem to be posting from a vantage point, built on a foundation of practical common sense, knowledge and experience. So, how did you lose your 50 lb.?
All our metabolisms differ from each others', to a greater or less extent, that much we do know. What worked for you, may not work for me, or not with same degree of success, but I would love to know what you did to achieve you goal. Notwithstanding the 1000 calorie Iceberg lettuce, I've found this thread educational and informative, and have good reason to give serious consideration to the info shared in this thread.
Take care
Vic

yosimiti

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 am Post

Yeah, I'd like to know your secret too! Of course, I'll respect you if you feel it's too personal to share. Weight issues are difficult to express, I find. Only through anonymity (i.e., L&L's Board) would I even bother!

vic-k

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:18 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Of course, I'll respect you if you feel it's too personal to share. Weight issues are difficult to express,
A point I meant to make, but forgot. My apologies for that. I second all that yosimiti says.
Vic