Best Fonts For ...

Ke
Kekerusey
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 am Post

OK,

So hopefully this is the best forum for this (as opposed to "Scrivener for Windows") or whatever.

What are your preferred fonts for typing (as in working in) and publishing? And talking of publishing would you use a different font when publishing an ebook as opposed to a book that you were having printed?

I haven't actually got any preferred fonts, I'm too new to all this but it's become of interest to me as I approach the end of my first novel ("It's taken me a long time to read a book but there you go ..." sorry Mr. Connolly). I've mainly been using Times New Roman to work in but I'm playing with Lucida Bright for publishing.

So anyway, what do you use?

Keke

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 pm Post

I started writing on a typewriter, so I prefer some variant of Courier. Courier Prime is my current favorite.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:30 pm Post

I watched a programme on TV here in the UK recently, which included a section on fonts. That section included the presenter going to a type foundry and talking to designers and was actually interesting. But I very nearly switched over at the start of that section when the presenter—well-known and I can see him in my mind's eye, but can I remember his name ...?—said, and this is the gist, but not verbatim reporting, "The font you use for your documents says a lot about you. I like to show my individuality, so my favourite font is … (wait for it!) ... Calibri. I never want to be without my beloved Calibri."

I thought, what an idiot! Every single time I have to open a .docx in Pages or NWP on my Mac, it tells me that the font Calibri is missing and will be replaced ... even when the document is in Chinese, or everything on the page is in TNR. How to show your individuality: always use one of Microsoft's default fonts! :D

My default font is Adobe Garamond Pro—and I know I'm not being terribly individual in that—as it looks great on the screen and absolutely great on paper. Palatino looks clean and crisp on the iPad too. For work I share with my Windows-using collaborator, I use TNR; I find it boring and not very attractive, but it's safe.

Mark

PS I don't even know what Calibri looks like!
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:52 pm Post

The mantra of people who know far more about fonts than I do, is (I've been told) "Serif for paper, sans-serif for the screen". This, I've also been told, is purely to aid readability on the two media. So... I favour San Francisco for the screen (I'm sure Apple have done their research), and one of the Sabon fonts (which I believe is historically related to Garamond, Mark) for the page - the Sabon family were recommended to me by an influential British graphic designer (he designed the original Channel 4 and the more recent BBC logos) a long time ago, and I like its distinctiveness, clean lines and readability.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

nontroppo

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:11 am Post

Hm, I think sans-serif for the screen only applies to old low resolution displays — retina displays handle the details in a serif font wonderfully.

My absolute favorite serif, with tons of character is Dolly by the type foundry Underwear: http://www.underware.nl/fonts/dolly/ — I'd also love to use Greta Text Pro (recommended by a typographer friend as a super flexible print font) but it is €560!!!

For anyone who loves to read about typefaces, the annual list by typographica is great:

http://typographica.org/features/our-fa ... s-of-2015/

Mark, on that list there is a gorgeous new Garamond release, sadly also super expensive: http://typographica.org/typeface-reviews/atf-garamond/

So open-source / free fonts are the only way to really be able to work with collaborators without hitting licensing issues (I do force collaborators to install fonts for common working, I refuse to use Times New Roman or Arial!), for that there is a nice Garamond here: http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/ — I also think Fira Sans open-developed by Mozilla is a great Sans: http://mozilla.github.io/Fira/ — Lato too: http://www.latofonts.com/lato-free-fonts/

Don't get me started on monospaced fonts for programming...

devinganger

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:19 am Post

nontroppo wrote:Don't get me started on monospaced fonts for programming...

Depends on the language, no? If you're using something like Python that depends on whitespace, monospace is good.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

nontroppo

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Depends on the language, no? If you're using something like Python that depends on whitespace, monospace is good.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to malign monospace fonts at all (I was being affirmative of the discussions we could have on new programming fonts), in fact I think designing an elegant readable monospace font is a work of art! I'm a big fan of the recent band of monospace fonts which use ligatures to make syntactic elements like <- or => more readable...

devinganger

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:
devinganger wrote:Depends on the language, no? If you're using something like Python that depends on whitespace, monospace is good.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to malign monospace fonts at all (I was being affirmative of the discussions we could have on new programming fonts), in fact I think designing an elegant readable monospace font is a work of art! I'm a big fan of the recent band of monospace fonts which use ligatures to make syntactic elements like <- or => more readable...

Aha! Okay, well then, I'll cancel the alert. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

xiamenese

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:21 pm Post

@Hugh, I'm with @nontroppo on the (old) question of sans-serif on screen and serif on paper, as all the screens I use—only my iPad and iPhone have retina screens—have a fine enough dot-pitch to render AGP very clearly. I know about Sabon, but I already have far more fonts on my machines than I will ever use and don't really need another. I originally got Adobe Garamond when I bought my first Mac around 1991 and bought PageMaker which included a free licence for AG. When InDesign first came out, I bought that, which upgraded me to AGP and also gave me Adobe Caslon Pro and Adobe Jenson Pro. I sometimes think of using one of them, but find myself drifting back to AGP.

@nontroppo, I have the EBGaramond font set installed on my Macs and even have it available to install on my iPad. I've tried using it, but think AGP is cleaner and better kerned to my eye. As for getting Shirley to install it … she's in Fuzhou and I'm in London, she's not that computer savvy and it's many years since I did any installation stuff on Windows, so I'd rather put up with the boring TNR than have to do the long-distance trouble-shooting. As it is, I'm worried about getting her updated to Scrivener 1.9.5 in case she has problems getting it to run as others have, so I'm waiting for the guys to come out with a first update before trying.

But back to fonts. Some 50 years ago in Bangkok, I found in the British Council library a wonderful, large, 2 volume history of type and printing by a man whose name escapes me. A little while later, I discovered that the author in fact occupied rooms in the basement of the Oriental Faculty in Cambridge while it was located in Brooklands Avenue—the Faculty moved to the Sidgwick Avenue site at the beginning of my fourth year studying Chinese—where he apparently had what amounted to a museum of type and typography. All that time I spent on the first floor in the Chinese Department and I never knew he was there! But apparently he was very reclusive, and might not have welcomed an intrusion by an inquisitive undergraduate. It was from that book that I first learnt about Plantin, Caslon, Garamond, Baskerville and many of the other great early type designers.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

pigfender

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:12 am Post

I really like Baskerville for text with a traditional traditional feel. Garamond is a lovely font, but the italics don't work for me as some of the letters have odd angles to them that jar (I don't know if that's also true of the Adobe Garamond Pro version). Garamond does have a truly lovely italic ampersand, though!

When I'm looking for something a bit more modern I use Merriweather, in both serif and sans versions.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:23 pm Post

My flavourite font is: Image just ... how you say ... saying :twisted: .

Le D
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ex
exegete77

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:44 pm Post

For most of my work I use Linux Libertine Serif and Libertine Biolinum (both do very well with secondary scripts and are free) Libertine Fonts.

For collaborative work I find Minion Pro and Adobe Garamond Pro to be excellent choices. I like the italic of AGP better than MP, but overall Minion Pro seems to stand up well in a variety of settings.

jtranter

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 am Post

:P
exegete77 wrote:For most of my work I use Linux Libertine Serif and Libertine Biolinum (both do very well with secondary scripts and are free) Libertine Fonts.

For collaborative work I find Minion Pro and Adobe Garamond Pro to be excellent choices. I like the italic of AGP better than MP, but overall Minion Pro seems to stand up well in a variety of settings.

I second all that! John Tranter, Sydney, Australia.
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

pigfender

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:50 am Post

Dear Pro De­sign­ers Who Use Adobe Software:
You need to stop us­ing Minion.
Not be­cause it’s a bad font. I have no com­plaint with Min­ion as a work of type design.
You need to stop be­cause Min­ion is not a font choice. It is the ab­sence of a font choice. For many years, Min­ion has been bun­dled with Adobe de­sign soft­ware. It be­came the de­fault font start­ing in CS5. And that’s the main rea­son you use it. Not be­cause you like it. Rather, be­cause it’s al­ready there.
As a ty­po­graphic short­cut, this is worse than the av­er­age com­puter user who re­lies on ar­ial or times new ro­man or cal­ibri. Be­cause un­like the av­er­age com­puter user, you’re sup­posed to know about ty­pog­ra­phy and bet­ter fonts. You’re not sup­posed to rely on the defaults.
I can’t force you to in­ves­ti­gate the wide world of pro­fes­sional fonts. But some gen­tle sham­ing—that I can do.
Imag­ine what would hap­pen if your clients, or your em­ployer, de­cided they could get their de­sign projects done by re­ly­ing on de­faults. You’d be out of a job, right? Your work de­pends on peo­ple who care enough to go be­yond the de­faults and hire you.
That’s also true of type de­sign­ers. They de­pend on peo­ple like you to go be­yond de­fault fonts like Min­ion. And when you don’t—well, maybe you’re ap­ply­ing an in­con­sis­tent stan­dard. You don’t want de­faults to be good enough for your clients, yet you want them to be good enough for you.
From Butterick's Practical Typography by Matthew Butterick, quote here.
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

pigfender

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:51 am Post

But of course, there's a reason it's "default" in MB's words. And I'm guessing that's because it works in a great many situations...