Q:Is it only me but ...

Th
TheBard
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am Post

Do your works reveal themselves all at one time? Or do they snake along, twisting turning, rewriting the plots time and again as your ideas develop over weeks and months?

At times I feel incredibly stupid, others very perceptive. Lately I've felt calm and centered as I rewrite and tweak an older work while developing a newer one. Nothing though, comes all at once. Am I missing something?

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:06 pm Post

TheBard wrote:Do your works reveal themselves all at one time? Or do they snake along, twisting turning, rewriting the plots time and again as your ideas develop

Yes.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am Post

It depends. Waiting for the Muse to reveal one's ideas is in my experience not worthwhile (in the literal sense of "worthwhile", if one is writing for money rather than pleasure). It's amazing how creative the constraint of a deadline can be.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Cy
CyberDave358
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 am Post

Sometimes it's an "Ah-HA!" moment, a kernel of a story that has a buncha words before and after, buncha words revealing themselves to be determined. A paragraph written during an exercise I call 'Writing to write', something that produces what could be perceived as a bad blog or the results of remote viewing of what coulda shoulda woulda been or can be. The second beer. Something. Something causes inspiration. If it's a headslap by a muse, I dunno. Muse been off drinkin' and carousin' with it's pals for a while, if that's the case. Anyhow, I like the Ecclesiastical perception that there is a season for everything, and that includes writing the whole story. And re-writing. And editing. Nope, it isn't only you, it's at the very least you and me. Story usually gets written... by and by, as my Granny used to say.

Cheers!

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am Post

Sometimes I think the whole thing has come to me in a flash of clarity -- but then I wake up, realise that it was all a dream, and I can't remember what my grand idea might have been (beyond the fact that it was stunningly brilliant). Shades of: "A strong smell of turpentine prevails throughout".
Literature & Latte support team

wo
wolfdog

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 pm Post

Hi Bard. My stories have lives of their own. I begin with the barest idea of where I'm going and the characters tend to drive the whole forward. I have found plots that I haven't liked, emerging; characters that I haven't liked, forming. It is an incredible journey. And I seem to get to where I want to be in the end. The creative process is amazing.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed May 10, 2017 12:35 pm Post

My take on this is...
type.jpg
type.jpg (215.36 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri May 12, 2017 10:06 am Post

pigfender wrote:....Sometimes They Surprise The Hell Out Of Me.
:evil: Wot?! Cheek!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom

Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
pigfender wrote:....Sometimes They Surprise The Hell Out Of Me.
:evil: Wot?! Cheek!!

Better out than in...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

nom

Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm Post

TheBard wrote:Do your works reveal themselves all at one time?

I wish!

TheBard wrote:Or do they snake along, twisting turning, rewriting the plots time and again as your ideas develop over weeks and months?

There's some other way?
By the way, you left years and decades.

TheBard wrote:At times I feel incredibly stupid, others very perceptive.

I was with you until you added "others very perceptive."

TheBard wrote:Lately I've felt calm and centered as I rewrite and tweak an older work while developing a newer one. Nothing though, comes all at once. Am I missing something?

Looks like you've covered the main aspects of writing...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

white_T_poison

Fri May 19, 2017 7:05 pm Post

Writing is a creative process.
A philosophical youth.