Unbound Manuscript

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm Post

PaigeElizabethTurner wrote:This has been a most informative thread for one still adapting to the trial version. I have been a devotee of Write it Now, a clearly 'budget' version (I elected against 'inferior') of Scrivener.

Some of my main concerns have been answered within this thread, and that is the 'exporting' from Scrivener to Word. Write it Now has difficulties transferring tabs and hard breaks, with the consequence of my having to re-tab manually 250-plus A4 pages.

If you're using tabs to indent paragraphs, that's gone the way of the double-space-after-a-period. Which is to say, we're not living in the world of typewriters, daisywheel printers, and fixed-width fonts anymore. Professionals who do interior book layout routinely have to strip out those extraneous invisible characters before publication--do them a favor and break that habit, if that's what you were talking about.

You can write with indented paragraphs by using the 'ruler' in the editor, so visually, you get the same effect without hitting TAB.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 pm Post

rdale wrote:If you're using tabs to indent paragraphs, that's gone the way of the double-space-after-a-period. Which is to say, we're not living in the world of typewriters, daisywheel printers, and fixed-width fonts anymore. Professionals who do interior book layout routinely have to strip out those extraneous invisible characters before publication--do them a favor and break that habit, if that's what you were talking about.

You can write with indented paragraphs by using the 'ruler' in the editor, so visually, you get the same effect without hitting TAB.

Also, please be aware that Scrivener treats tabs and paragraph indents separately. Which means that if you use tabs while writing, then tell the Compile command to indent your paragraphs (or use a preset that does so), you'll end up with double-indented paragraphs in your output document, and you will be sad.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pa
PaigeElizabethTurner
Platform: Windows

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:50 pm Post

Sorry guys, mislead you. I should have written re-indented, which still couldn't be done globally after WiN formatted indents as spaces.

Thanks for your assistance.